Question on mentally challenged thieves
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Question on mentally challenged thieves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question on mentally challenged thieves

Hello,

I am doing a speech on the effects of gun control in terms of safety/crime. I have everything ready to go, except for one issue that a friend of mine brought up. Even though guns may prevent some thieves from entering homes, what if there is the occasional thief that is not in the right state of mind and/or desperate enough to outweigh the risks of their lives with survival? They may bring guns as well and when you pull out your gun, they might shoot you. Is there any psychology study on this matter, or anything to refute this claim?

Thanks for reading,
Jordan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3482 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I think before we respond to this, we need to know who you are doing the research paper for and we need to know your opinion on gun control as a whole.

This is not a website prone to helping the Left with their Disarming The Citizen agenda.

Please provide more intel with a PM and we will happily assist you, until then I am going to temp. lock the thread out of the best interest and our views.

PLEASE PM ME WITH YOUR AGENDA / PROJECT SCOPE

JD

Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3482 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay guys - the Hamster seems to be on our side and s/he needs some help proving that guns don't kill people, people do.

We all have facts and figures squirreled away for these types of situations and this one will be for public debate in class - so let's get some real information out there!

JD

Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If I've produced a weapon, it's to protect the life, limb or eyesight of a loved one or myself. It is illegal, and dangerous to show a weapon without intent to use it. If you draw and decide that you can't use it, the bad guy will use it. And, if you do draw, you need to shoot to disable your attacker. There is no easier way to disable an attacker than to kill them.

In summation, if you produce a piece to defend yourself, you need to shoot to kill. Anything else is irresponsible and a easy way to have your own life taken.

How embarrassing would it be to have your home robbed and get gut shot by your own weapon?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 06-30-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

well, IMO, it doesn't matter if the thief is mentally challenged or not. He has a gun and is a threat, standard protocol still stands. While presenting this point, mention the training required to own handguns, and responsibility etc. Also mention that lethal force is a LAST RESORT! Most of the time, the intimidation of another armed person is a sufficient deterrent. Include good examples of your scenario that are in the press (haha good luck finding them).
On that note, don't have every one of them be from a right wing magazine/paper. Inlcude some from local papers as well.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaianhamster View Post
Even though guns may prevent some thieves from entering homes, what if there is the occasional thief that is not in the right state of mind and/or desperate enough to outweigh the risks of their lives with survival? They may bring guns as well and when you pull out your gun, they might shoot you.
This sounds like the primary reason for having a weapon for home defense, a situation requiring you to actually USE the weapon in defense of your LIFE against an attacker who is beyond reason.

In other words, it seems to me that the deterrent effect of having a gun in your home is secondary to the protective effect of using a gun to defend your life in your home. For one thing, i don't have a warning sticker on the door proclaiming that my home contains a gun, so how would a burglar know i had a gun and be deterred from burglarizing/attacking me?

Was i supposed to get a sticker? I do have a sign from an alarm company (no alarm).

Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If someone enters my home with a firearm, they will likely be killed. The object is to stop the attack.

Whether they are disabled or killed is determined strictly by the quality of my marksmanship at the time of the confrontation.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaianhamster View Post
Hello,

I am doing a speech on the effects of gun control in terms of safety/crime. I have everything ready to go, except for one issue that a friend of mine brought up. Even though guns may prevent some thieves from entering homes, what if there is the occasional thief that is not in the right state of mind and/or desperate enough to outweigh the risks of their lives with survival? They may bring guns as well and when you pull out your gun, they might shoot you. Is there any psychology study on this matter, or anything to refute this claim?

Thanks for reading,
Jordan
There will be no dialog or questioning to find out his cognitive processes, if some one breaks into my home, thats his first mistake and a bad decision. If he has a weapon and is mentally challenged, well he was not confused enough to make the decision to break in, and he apparently knows enough to handle a firearm and use it as a threat. IMO he has made a life-threatening action toward me, my family and my dog. I will make a life ending decision for him, in case he is to confused to make it for himself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-01-2009, 03:04 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10107 Times on 4358 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

If I am not willing to attempt to defend myself, family and the goldfish, then I have chosen to rely upon the good will and benevolence of of someone that has broken into my home, is armed, and is committing more than one crime already.

So what's wrong with this picture? Besides the lack of benevolence and good will?

Take it a step further- he is "confused" and "mentally challenged". OK- now I am relying on the good graces of a nut case. No thanks.

Think about this for a minute. What is the armed robbery rate of convenience stores? Pretty high. What is the armed robbery rate of gun shops? Pretty low, for obvious reasons.

The mindset that you should never raise an objection to being mugged, since this may result in your being hurt, is totally discounting two factors- first, they may (and DO) hurt people that are not resisting, and second- that behavior (being a willing victim) encourages more anti-social behavior.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:49 AM   #10

I live in Florida which is a castle doctrine state. If someone breaks into my home ,I am not going to ask them if they are mentaly challanged.I dont have to hide in the bathroom or run out the back door.Next step call 911. And tell them to send the paramedics.

Last edited by CCW357; 07-01-2009 at 03:52 AM.