Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Question for all the smokers here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Timks, not to start in on the argument, but it often doesn't play out that well. Often times, those closest to me know when I've tried to quit smoking, I end up treating those around me like crap, and a bunch of other little things change. The cravings can also hamper your ability to number crunch and process data, and if you work five days a week... well you don't have that couple of days.
Anyways dan, I plan to look into using dip in my bug out bag. Smoking in a shtf situation could, and probably would, end very badly, especially if light discipline is not maintained.

Natural Selection- God's way of Fixing Stupid. -me

Not arguing here at all, but unless your idea of a SHTF is very different from mine, your life WILL change. Now if you're talking about a depression, or some such minor happening, then tobacco will still be around.......maybe black market, but still available. A true SHTF deal is major big-league sh!t. ......and I think a nicotene addiction will be a ho-hum deal.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #12

Liked 685 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Two rolls of chew in the gun safe. buy one a week and change it out with one of the rolls there.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 08-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You could just buy enough to last a month, and continually rotate them. Like, buy two cartons instead of just one (or however many you smoke in a month... I dunno anything about them, heh), and when you are ready to start on the second package, go buy another before replacing it. Keep doing this so you always have a carton on hand, and they are never more than a month old.

Though, the nicotine patches sound like the best solution for sure.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That makes sense, but the same thing doesn't apply very well for cigars unless you have a humidor with you .

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5469 Times on 2856 Posts
Likes Given: 354

my mp unit got tagged a lot to play op-for i have always been a non-smoker and at nite even with nite vision creeping through the woods i could smell the smokers inhabiting the "enemy" foxholes loooooong before i could see em in the nvds.

just something to consider

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 834 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my mp unit got tagged a lot to play op-for i have always been a non-smoker and at nite even with nite vision creeping through the woods i could smell the smokers inhabiting the "enemy" foxholes loooooong before i could see em in the nvds.

just something to consider
Interesting reminder of something I learned while undergoing flying lessons, smoking drastically decreases a persons night vision capabilities.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

An old roomate of mine kept her cigs in the freezer to keep them fresh. She would pick up a couple of cartons at a time.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:21 AM   #18

orangello, did she say how well freezing kept them fresh?

Here in NZ tobacco grows quite well and it's (currently) legal to do so for personal use (selling it, OTOH, is depriving the NZ gov't of their ability to tax the crap out of people and would land you in big trouble).

I was thinking:

Small emergencies involving evacuation (flooding, fires etc): a couple of days' supplies on hand would be sufficient as you'd be evac'ed to somewhere with shops, running water, shelter etc.

Staying put SHTF situations: growing my own (good idea anyway, considering the rising prices) and using a pipe (as rolling papers may be hard to come by).

Bugging out SHTF: Probably a few packets of smokes and a two-month course of Zyban.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:25 AM   #19

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yeah I figure in a shtf any addiction is going to be hampering. Better to roll detached and un addicted

Natural Selection- God's way of Fixing Stupid. -me

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #20

Smoked for more than 50 years and quit several years back, Yep surely do miss it, and one of the hardest things I did. Tried several times cutting back to stop. No way for me. Only choice was quit cold turkey. If I had a short time to live, I might consider doing it again!!! Not many public places you can smoke anymore. Big bother is watching you?????