Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Question for all the smokers here. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/question-all-smokers-here-47260/)

Wolf1066 08-23-2011 08:34 PM

Question for all the smokers here.

First off, I don't want this thread devolving into a pro- vs anti-smoking debate. Anyone who feels the need to rant about smokers - for or against - can do so elsewhere.

The question, for those preparing for some form of SHTF - be it fairly short term like a natural disaster or long term - who are also smokers:

What plans do you have in place for when supplies of tobacco/cigarettes are reduced or cut off?

I know from my own experience how even everyday stuff becomes even more frustrating if I've run out of smokes and am unable to get more. I can only imagine what a survival situation would be like compounded by growing nicotine withdrawal.

Survival situations are stressful and can play havoc on your demeanour. Nicotine withdrawal makes me as ratty as hell and increases stress levels.

Sure, in an ideal universe we would all have given up smoking long before any SHTF situation - but, as the good people of Christchurch, NZ can tell you, you never know when crap's gonna happen.

What preparations are you smokers making? Do you have different levels of preparation depending on whether it's short or long term, hunker down or bug out etc?

bkt 08-23-2011 08:40 PM

If cigs are around, I'll probably smoke. If they're not, I won't. I can smoke for three months straight then go for weeks without any tobacco. So I don't go batsh*t without a nicotine fix.

That said, I'll probably start a crop of tobacco next year because a) I don't like to pay over $10 for 20 cigarettes, and b) it's a GREAT barter product.

orangello 08-23-2011 09:04 PM

I gave it up, but i would think some nic patches would last pretty well for emergencies.

danf_fl 08-23-2011 09:52 PM

When required, I have stopped smoking for several days, weeks, months at a time. One thing I have to do is reduce the caffiene at the same time.

But the first cig after that, whoa.........

JonM 08-23-2011 10:28 PM

i was like that with caffeine and sugar drinks like soda. i cut that sht out over the course of a few months weening myself off the addiction. main reason was because of health issues (blood pressure) but your thread brings another benefit to light. i wont be fiending for that crap if things go to hell.

armoredman 08-23-2011 11:00 PM

Firearms4ever 08-23-2011 11:22 PM

I only smoke cigars on special ocassions or every 2-3 weeks or maybe every month or two depending on how much is in my humidor. For me it's just a luxery and in a SHTF situation I could easily give them up or live without them, but they would be nice to have ;).

TimKS 08-23-2011 11:58 PM

I don't mean to downplay your addiction, but put simply .....just quit! ;) A couple of days of cold turkey and you'll survive it.

pagj17 08-24-2011 12:07 AM

Timks, not to start in on the argument, but it often doesn't play out that well. Often times, those closest to me know when I've tried to quit smoking, I end up treating those around me like crap, and a bunch of other little things change. The cravings can also hamper your ability to number crunch and process data, and if you work five days a week... well you don't have that couple of days.
Anyways dan, I plan to look into using dip in my bug out bag. Smoking in a shtf situation could, and probably would, end very badly, especially if light discipline is not maintained.

Natural Selection- God's way of Fixing Stupid. -me

opaww 08-24-2011 12:20 AM

I been smoking for some 45 years and wish I had never started, but sense I can't go back in time to stop from smoking I live in Kentucky which is Tobacco country. Hell I can roll my own