Putting together a Survival Kit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Putting together a Survival Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Putting together a Survival Kit

So I read the post by opaww about survival kits, and really enjoyed it. But it got me to thinking about putting one together. I have the weapons under control, and am buying ammo box by box as I can. So, here is what I need. I would like any advice on where to start with putting together my own kit. I have a wife and a small child. We currently live in a city, but have family about 75 miles away with plenty of land in the country where I grew up. So, I would appreciate any advice on what I need to get started, and one thing i worrry about is having to get to the family in the country shoud something happen. Any advice on traveling that distance with a wife and child. Thanks for all the in put, looking foward to reading your advice and getting started building my kit.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2010, 03:11 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

ALL NEWBIES & those of us who forget: The Best of... - Survivalist Forum

Here's a link to a bunch of subjects about survival, food storage, etc...

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

goinghot - How much are you looking to spend? What is your goal, at the end of the day?

Generally, everyone should have three days of supplies in their house, this is a very good place to start.

Most of us that have a B.O.B., started with the bare basics, some basic medical supplies, some matches, a mirror, some dry clothes ( especially socks and underwear ), compass, stuff like that.

Over time, we add a few things here and there.

Facts being facts, I could never "pack" my bug out bag alone at the point.

There is just too much good stuff in there to try taking stuff out. That is why I added a second, empty, BOB to the safe, so IF the time comes, I can redistribute the load.

I don't think we have had a "recent" what's in your BOB thread.

Perhaps it's time for show and tell again....

JD

Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #4

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

75 miles is a fair distance, so be ready to travil light with food, water, warm clothing if its near or at fall/winter.

Medications you and your family need, a good med kit, and sense you will be travling to relitives take a few Chem Lights, they are light weight and can be packed anywhere.

A question here, is your wife in on this or are you going to supprise her when the SHTF happens with her own bugout gear?

Be ready incase you can take a vehical of some sort, and if you cannot take one. If you cannot take a vehical then travel light, estamate the time to get to where you are going on foot with a wife and small child in tow. This will tall you about how much food and water you will need to make the trip.

If things are bed enough that you cannot take a vehical then they may be to bed to walk the roads so stay off the pavement if possable, do your travel in day light.

Take a few pairs of socks for each of you, happy feet makes for smoother going. Also do not forget some form of rain gear for foot travel.

If both of you will be making some form of bugout bag then one of you can carry a small light weight tent incase you are afoot. A 3 man tent is about 5-9 lbs and packs small. This may make the defferance between staying out of the weather and being some what happy and success and not getting anywhere because of weather.

This is about all I can say right now.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
All mags stay loaded, full minus 2 for rifle, full minus 1 for pistol.
What is the function or idea behind full minus 'x' rounds for your mags? I've heard someone else say they do rifle full minus 2, and I'm curious why.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Makes a tac reload more sure if you have the added room to compress beneath the closed bolt; when the bolt cycles to pick up #30 you are less likely to have a feeding issue if it is only # 28. Not an absolute, just something I picked up over time...YMMV. Also used if you have .mil mags, keeps pressure off the feed lips if you keep 'em loaded. PMAGs have solved the issue with the covers, but the tac reload remains the real reason for the download.

Last edited by hillbilly68; 01-18-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #7

Great advice. Thanks to everyone.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #8

get a keltec sub 2000 and a glock19 they stow away in a tight package

Old 02-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have a 5 gallon can of gas stashed away. If you have to bug out immediately, unless your vehicle gets less than 15 miles per gallon, you know you have enough fuel to get there without having to fill up before leaving or stopping enroute.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good thinking on the spare gas. I have three 5 gallon and 2 2.5 gallon cans with Stabil stabilized gas in the garage strictly for a bugout.

I also suggest never letting your gas tank get below half. When I get to half, I automatically fill it up. Gas stations will be a nightmare if you ever have to split in a hurry.

Between the gas cans and a minimum of a half a tank or more at all times, I have between 1.5 and 2 tanks ready to go. I will bypass the gas station, the main roads and be ahead of the crowd.

Another part of the equation is knowing when to pull the pins. If you wait until the rest of the crowd is leaving, you waited too long. I'd rather leave too early than too late.

Remember the roads that were parking lots for miles during Katrina?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams