Propper Home Defense Shotgun "readyness" - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Propper Home Defense Shotgun "readyness"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 05:56 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah, it's been discussed, but a lot of times people want a personalized answer. *shrug* What are you gonna do.

I think an excellent place to have a loaded shotgun is above the door frame on the inside of the closet in the master bedroom. If you don't tell anyone, no one will know it's there and it's easy to get too, even in the dark.

I personally prefer my 1911 for home defense, but I also have a 106# German Sheppard that will be making life hell for anyone foolish enough to set foot in his house, so the 1911, really, is going to be for finishing the job.

JD
i like shotty for inside. most walls wont even slow a .45. my walls right now have 3-4 kids and 4 adults inside so ill go with my 12 and some small bird shot or #6, with a couple slugs in my pocket for when i get the target isolated

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 03-31-2009, 05:01 AM   #22
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like JD's idea to mount the shotgun above the door frame in the closet. While my bump in the night grab will continue to be my S&W M&P 45, it's always nice to have a back up plan or two.

It's not a 1911 JD but I hope you will give me a pass

m-p.jpg  

Old 03-31-2009, 05:54 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All You need is this
guns-019.jpg
Mossberg 500 with #4 Turkey shot. Heavy enough to penetrate a jacket but minimal wall penetration

Article II: A Well Regulated Militia, Being Necessary To The Security Of A Free State, The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms, Shall Not Be Infringed.

Article IV: The Right Of The People To Be Secure In There Persons, Houses, Papers, And Effects, Against Unreasonable Search And Seizures, Shall Not Be Violated, And No Warants Shall Issue, But Upon Probable Cause, Supported By Oath Or Affirmation, And Particulary Describing The Place To Be Searched, And The Persons Or Things To Be Seized.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I like JD's idea to mount the shotgun above the door frame in the closet. While my bump in the night grab will continue to be my S&W M&P 45, it's always nice to have a back up plan or two.

It's not a 1911 JD but I hope you will give me a pass
Beautiful gun! I have the .40 with a 9mm conversion barrel. No lights or lasers yet but that comes next.

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Old 04-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #25

First post here...

For the HD, Mossberg 500a tactical with #4 buck,4 in the tube and I do have one in the pipe safety on.I converted a Saiga 12 (922R compliant)collapsable stock,18 1/4 barrel for manuevability in house and outside if needs be.Extended mag (10 rounder) loaded 2 3/4 #4 buck,second mag (10 rounder) loaded Wolf OO buck.

I use the 500a as a backup just in case...

Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My Mossy 500 conversion.

18.5" vented smooth bore, KA muzzle brake, Picatinny Rail with Bushnell Holo Sight, combination buttstock, tactical slide and six round sidesaddle. I keep five #4 3" Magnums in tube, empty chamber, and 6 "00" 3"Magnums in the saddle.

mossy.jpg  

Last edited by Mark F; 04-04-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypoonani View Post
I recommend having a fully loaded pump with an empty shell in the chamber, so all you have to do to get ready is pump the empty shell out...
Why on Earth would someone (or anyone) keep a spent shell in their shotgun? There is absolutely no safety or functional reason for this.
Think about it...

Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Why on Earth would someone (or anyone) keep a spent shell in their shotgun? There is absolutely no safety or functional reason for this.
Think about it...
Why don't you explain your reasoning?

I have thought about it and used it... it works. the trigger can be pulled (maybe accidentally while moving it) and nothing happens, if a kid actually releases the safety they arn't usually strong enough to pump it (for instance my niece or nephew are unable to pump mine) and they usually don't have long enough reach. Hopefully they don't get that far as your gun should be in a safe place out of reach anyhow.

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Old 04-28-2009, 01:59 AM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Unload, lock, and hide the shotgun when you leave. When you get home, reload it completely, with an actual round in the chamber. No compromises either way.

We actually have a gun safe so my GF doesn't need to unload her shotgun at all. But if we didn't have a safe, thats what I'd do.

Racking the slide when an intruder is home is silly. All it does it let them know where you are and that you are armed, which costs you pretty much the only two advantages you had to begin with.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #30

I keep my Maverick 88 within arms reach of my bed with 1 in the pipe-safety on.

No kids. When visitors come over, they stay downstairs.