Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Propper Home Defense Shotgun "readyness" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/propper-home-defense-shotgun-readyness-11594/)

Vertiviper 03-06-2009 03:01 AM

Propper Home Defense Shotgun "readyness"

I'm preface this by saying my priority is the safety of my family and myself.

How do most people store their shotgun, in terms of "readyness"/type of ammo...

If someone breaks into the house I know I wont have time to load the magazine barrel one by one..this unfortunately is the safest way to keep it. I like the idea of having a few ready to go in the magazine, none in the chamber and locked....i dont like the idea of having it in this sort of state (even though it's locked) when i'm not home (no kids in the house and im in my 20s).

What do you guys reccomend?

janikphoto 03-06-2009 06:31 AM

This topic has been discussed (in great detail) in the shotgun section of the forum.

Gojubrian 03-06-2009 06:43 AM

It has been discussed, but hasn't everything? :rolleyes:

My take on it is a pump 12 ga. shotgun stored with ammo in the tube, but none in the chamber.

I like #4 turkey load backed with 00 buck then slug 00 buck etc... Keep the gun out of your kids reach when you aren't around and locked up when you aren't at home. :)

Dillinger 03-06-2009 02:14 PM

Yeah, it's been discussed, but a lot of times people want a personalized answer. *shrug* What are you gonna do.

I think an excellent place to have a loaded shotgun is above the door frame on the inside of the closet in the master bedroom. If you don't tell anyone, no one will know it's there and it's easy to get too, even in the dark.

I personally prefer my 1911 for home defense, but I also have a 106# German Sheppard that will be making life hell for anyone foolish enough to set foot in his house, so the 1911, really, is going to be for finishing the job. :rolleyes:

JD

user4 03-06-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 78901)
I personally prefer my 1911 for home defense, but I also have a 106# German Sheppard that will be making life hell for anyone foolish enough to set foot in his house, so the 1911, really, is going to be for finishing the job. :rolleyes:

JD

JD is ready when Skynet becomes self aware.

Dillinger 03-06-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 78903)
JD is ready when Skynet becomes self aware.

Almost ready - I still need a few more guns. And a LOT more ammo. Not to mention some of you fine folks to watch my six when we are shooting and scooting around the barren wasteland. ;)

JD

user4 03-06-2009 02:57 PM

If I'm not already there, I'll meet ya in the middle.

Dillinger 03-06-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 78909)
If I'm not already there, I'll meet ya in the middle.

Deal. Just make sure and remember the password. ;)

JD

dcp1987 03-10-2009 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 78904)
Almost ready - I still need a few more guns. And a LOT more ammo. Not to mention some of you fine folks to watch my six when we are shooting and scooting around the barren wasteland. ;)

JD

if i watch your six are you going to force me to use a 1911 or can i use my other guns too?
lol

matt g 03-10-2009 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcp1987 (Post 80204)
if i watch your six are you going to force me to use a 1911 or can i use my other guns too?
lol

You've got some goofy crap. You can stay in the base camp and be radio man.