Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Primitive snares *DANGER*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Default Primitive snares *DANGER*

If you guys are trying your hand at survival snares, you need to be careful. I'm sharing this image as a public warning of what can happen when things go wrong. If it had been a true survival situation, this injury could have resulted in my death, as it blinded me for 4 days. Had the tree hit my eye directly (instead of first breaking my nose), it's likely my eye would have ruptured entirely, leaving me permanently blind in that eye. As it is, a significant amount of medical treatment is needed to protect the vision I do have.

dsc_0010.jpg  

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 12-05-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1993

There is a story missing in that post! Please elaborate.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Thank you for being brave enough to share your accident.
Glad you had no permanent damage.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I think I know what happened here.
I had a sapling escape my grip while setting a snare many years ago, during a 5 day winter survival class.I was very lucky to end up with only a bloody nose and a couple of scratches.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #5

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Just a little tip. Whenever I do anything in the woods, I wear safety glasses. Had a branch pop up and smack me in the face once, just walking through the woods.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotenator View Post
I think I know what happened here.
I had a sapling escape my grip while setting a snare many years ago, during a 5 day winter survival class.I was very lucky to end up with only a bloody nose and a couple of scratches.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
I was thinking it happened while setting the trigger. Just when you think you got it, smack.

Thanks for reminding us all safety is the most important thing. It's amazing at how simple things can quickly go really bad.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #7

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I was thinking it happened while setting the trigger. Just when you think you got it, smack.

Thanks for reminding us all safety is the most important thing. It's amazing at how simple things can quickly go really bad.
You got it. At the bottom of the 8ft stroke, the tree snapped back and hit me in the face. I guess the sapling I was using was a bit bigger than it should have been...

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
You got it. At the bottom of the 8ft stroke, the tree snapped back and hit me in the face. I guess the sapling I was using was a bit bigger than it should have been...
I had a buddy that was working on his car years ago. He was underneath doing something and a screw driver fell off the radiator. He now has a glass eye. It really is amazing just how quick something simple can go wrong.

What happened to you sucks. Just learn from it and move on. My buddy didn't let the glass eye slow him down a bit, and it was amazing at how many women he picked up with that thing! He turned it into the coolest ice breaker ever. He proved you can always find a positive in a negative. Luckily you still have your eye! Good luck on your recovery.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 AM   #9

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Funny you should mention working on cars. I watched a buddy drop my transmission on his balls. Great stuff.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5636 Times on 2786 Posts
Likes Given: 5992

Wow TC, Close call, glad your OK. Sounds like a physics lesson in Potential and actualized stored NRG!

That the reason I stick with my 4 eyes instead of wearing Contacts or letting some idiot with a laser trim my lenses! I dont have to remember safety glasses, if I can see, I know Im wearing them! Cant tell you how many times a scratch on the polycarb lens of my glasses reminds me of how painful a scratch on my Eyeball would have been (or worse). I did have a tiny branch whip through once while patrolling at Ft Drum and just barely tore the lens, mucho pain for way too long! Rather have a finger half severed (Been there,) than a scratch on my eye!