Primitive Skills....and Wilderness Living.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Primitive Skills....and Wilderness Living.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Primitive Skills....and Wilderness Living.

I posted an intro in the introductions section, and asked a question concerning Kel-Tec rifles http://www.kel-tec.com/su16a.html which could have been posted here just as easily. But, I just want to re-iterate how I envy those who live in the remoter parts of the States and British Columbia. We simply don't have dozens of Wilderness and survival skills providers here in NZ promoting themselves, as you do in the States. Same can be said for the sort of big survival equipment suppliers like you have there.

But I guess no matter what country you live in, having a place or places to 'bug-out' to already pre-kitted and provisioned for, will much depend on to what extent an individual feels the need to prepare.....and for what. Nuclear war.....serious and co-ordinated terrorist attacks around the world.....Earth upheavel and the concurrent upheavel in a country's economy....unprecedented aerial bombardment from a meteor storm....or what ?? The list could be quite long !

Having a series of alternative routes to one's location of choice would be a big plus. Having at the very least, a 'grab-and-run' or 'bug-out' bag already meticulously prepared is my first goal. But as for locations here in NZ ?? I'm amazed that Kiwis simply don't seem to be addressing all these issues with the same serious intent as you do in the USA ?! Whether its the legendary compacency of Kiwis or not....I don't know; but I simply can't find any significant numbers of people in this country who are anywhere serious enough to address these issues to the same degree as on the greater North American Continent ??? Anyone with solid links to folk here in these parts is more than welcome to PM me, or email me through the website.

There's ton's I'd love to discuss more, but that will do for now.

Regards again, to all.

Ken.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #2

In the USA, in the Lower 48, the vast majority of people who tell themselves that they are going to leave for remote parts in a SHTF scenario are fooling themselves. They totally disregard two factors:

1. What on earth makes them think that the people in the remote areas will allow refugees into these remote areas?

2. In a nation of 300 million plus 20 - 30 million illegals, there is probably a third of them thinking the exact same thing. The bug-out folks are going to have lots of competition.

The most realistic treatise I have ever read about SHTF refugee treatment is a fiction book by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle titled Lucifer's Hammer. You need to read it and consider how you could practically respond under such circumstances.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
In the USA, in the Lower 48, the vast majority of people who tell themselves that they are going to leave for remote parts in a SHTF scenario are fooling themselves. They totally disregard two factors:

1. What on earth makes them think that the people in the remote areas will allow refugees into these remote areas?

2. In a nation of 300 million plus 20 - 30 million illegals, there is probably a third of them thinking the exact same thing. The bug-out folks are going to have lots of competition.

The most realistic treatise I have ever read about SHTF refugee treatment is a fiction book by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle titled Lucifer's Hammer. You need to read it and consider how you could practically respond under such circumstances.
Appreciating your points Phil, and good ones too. I 'm sure I've seen that title, or at least the authors on the bookshelves somewhere. Sounds like a good read. But no, I'm under no illusions as to how most of the good rules for living will be turned upside down.....perhaps for a very long time ! There's a lot more I'm aware of than there's time or space to tell.

Regards,

Ken.