Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > primary weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default primary weapon

Assuming there was a SHTF situation, we can all plan for a lightweight gun..first aid, supplies for 3 days, i can hike to my uncles 70miles away.....yada yada

not to say that this isn't important, but home many average americans are fit enough to haul those supplies, on their back, for an extended period of time?

even possibly running or avoiding areas if need be?

i've always thought there is no point in planning for a situation if you don't have the ability to carry out your plan?

so what does everyone do to stay in shape?

I'm a pretty avid tri-athlete. Ride my bike to work everyday (approx 20 miles/day) run 2-3 times a week, and lift weights 2-3 times a week.

currently at 6' about 195lbs (fightin weight), sometimes i'll get down to 185 before a big race or up to 205 over the winter....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #2

all to true. next time you go hiking through the woods on a leisurely stroll, throw that pack on ur back and see how well you do... just try for 1 mile.. 2 if your feeling frisky. It's not that easy. Moral of the story - keep your pack under 60-80 pounds - cut out those unimportant items - bring in more multi-function tools - get 1 or 2 of ex item in top notch quality instead of 5-10 of questionable quality - etc.

I much prefer to bug in , which shouldnt be a far fetched idea for the area i live in, and im actually looking to move out further into the boonies and buy a bigger piece of land ASAP and turning it into a self sufficiency/protected compound

"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"

Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ryder View Post
Primary Weapon.
Not to say that this isn't important, but home many average Americans are fit enough to haul those supplies, on their back, for an extended period of time?

even possibly running or avoiding areas if need be?

I've always thought there is no point in planning for a situation if you don't have the ability to carry out your plan?

so what does everyone do to stay in shape?

I'm a pretty avid tri-athlete. Ride my bike to work everyday (approx 20 miles/day) run 2-3 times a week, and lift weights 2-3 times a week.

currently at 6' about 195lbs (fightin weight), sometimes i'll get down to 185 before a big race or up to 205 over the winter....

My primary weapon is my mind, secondary my body and at last resort and if needed, a carried firearm. Here are some past threads that may help answer your question.

Please keep in mind, everybody will have their own ways of keeping in shape and they will vary with one's own personal health, personal self-discipline, past and present personal training and age.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/fitness-firearms-19445/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/tactical-krav-maga-training-21740/

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7585 Times on 3302 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Like some others, I am already where I plan to be going. I have a few years (decades) of some of you. How do I stay in shape? Firewood (12 lb splitting maul) gardening, landscaping, hiking- and yeah, I DO carry a pack- some of the hiking is on the Appalachian Trail. Hunting and fishing, swimming with the grandkids. I travel a lot- just about every hotel has a fitness center- I can go workout for 20-30 minutes most evenings. I used to keep a chinning bar in the kitchen doorway- get used to doing 3 reps each time you walk thru the door, you'll be surprised what it does for your arms. Running? HAH! With my knees, more like shambling!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:39 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Work does it for me for the most part. Last couple jobs have been industrial concrete formwork and scaffolding. Wearing 50 lbs of fall protection equipment and tools, constantly climbing ladders, walls and steel, humping 2"x12"x12' planks, scaffold posts, braces, ladders and handrails for 10 hours a day. I still do try and get at least 2-3 work outs a week that include muscle group isolation/strength training and cardio.

But you bring up a good point. It's a great idea never to let yourself slouch out.

And c3Shooter. . . I'm already feelin' it in the knees too my friend. . .

Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I ride a bike to school, and am wirey and in pretty good shape. Even still, I keep my gear weight under 30 pounds (and I weigh 145). Sure, I could probably walk decent distances with a comfortable pack and more weight. But if the situation is bad enough that I'm walking around on foot instead of driving, I'd imagine it's also bad enough that there chance is very real I will need to do some running, evading, and hiding.

I know many people plan on loading up with 50-100lbs of gear and marching into the wilderness. Most of them won't even be able to make it far with that. Then, when it comes time to run or even jog, most of the remainder won't even be able to do that for very long. And it's not even just about endurance. For anyone, strapping 30-50% of your weight to your back is going to make it really hard to move when the military roundup crew spots you walking down the street and you have to run between houses and jump over fences.

With my scoped 10/22 setup (four loaded 25rd mags, 300rds of .22) and pistol equipment (Taurus PT92, three full mags, and an extra 150 rounds), my total load weight with 2L of water and a little bit of food was about 25lbs, including 300rds. Since then, I have dropped the rifle as primary carry** (and thus dropped a good 10lbs in the process), though I have gained a little bit in more comfort / shelter items like a wool blanket and a pup tent. But, I absolutely strive to keep weight and size as minimal as possible, even sacrificing weaponry to do so. While it's obvious nobody ever wanted a smaller gun in a gun fight, I'll be the guy high-tailing it into the sunset while the Rambos buy me time fighting the zombies or whatever. I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like, but I really enjoy testing these things out on hiking / camping trips to see what I've missed, what I don't need, or how to better secure things.

**My GF has picked that weapon up as her primary, though.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 01-21-2010 at 03:37 AM.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #7

Any of you that have worked a farm knows how I keep in shape. I am not actually in good shape cardio wise in that I cant run for extended periods of time. I can however carry a 30# pack, a 10# rifle, and drag a 180# deer up and down steep grades for 5 miles.
Firewood keeps the arms and back strong, doing it when it's 10below out keeps the lungs workin, carryin hay bales through the snow to get to the animals will keep yer legs strong as will movin animals around. Walking the fence line to ensure no escapes is good as well.
Of course there is ALWAYS playtime, hunting, hiking, skiing, swimming in the river (try swimming upstream for a while!), ATV's, horseback riding, primitive camping, canoeing, sledding, golf, flag football league, and keeping up with the kids.

Like a few others have mentioned, I am NOT bugging out. If this valley and surrounding hillsides are being overrun, I am going down defending it. If there is a Nuke or bio-weapon, we are screwed anyway!

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Last edited by Gus556; 01-23-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:48 AM   #8

I've got some underlying health problems, which would be a concern if SHTF.
But, I also do long term (150+ miles) backpacking trips on the PCT so I'm pretty prepared for carrying a 50-60 pound backpack to where I need to go. I also hit the gym four times a week, I'm not gonna boast and say I'm a pro body builder but I like to keep in shape.

In case of SHTF, my pack would consist of:
Tent: 5 pounds.
Sleeping Bag: 3 pounds.
Water: 10 pounds. (Water is very important.)
Socks: 2 pounds. (Bring lots of socks, you'll be amazed how quickly they wear out.)
Other clothes: 5 pounds.
Food: 15 pounds. (If you bring just freezed dried foods you can cut your food weight in half.)
Ammo: 10 pounds.
Other: 5-10 pounds.

I could power jog with that for about half a mile if needed, but if it came to it I would drop the clothes and tent to lose some weight.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:01 AM   #9

Navy SEAL Workouts

I keep myself busy and fit with this. I started 2 weeks ago. Eventually I want to join Crossfit.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #10

Depends on which SHTF scenario we are talking about here.

But i live far enough in the woods that i would be ok. I know our woods like the back of my hand. I dont think there is a inch i have not walked.

Plus my primary weapon would be. Patience.