Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Prices, prices, prices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Been there, done that. I understand the anger and frustration. I hope things get better for you.
Heres to hopin'....but had to sell the hope for some change.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Hey guys, I gotta tell you a story. And this same story has been repeated three times now with equal success.

My wife and I were in the same spot: we make good money, but we were looking at where to cut corners and tighten the belt. Then we went to the store one day and the receipt that snaked out was over TWO FEET long! I freaked! My wife told me to look at it first before I had a coronary - and as she handed it to me, she showed me the total was only $65 and change!

As I scrolled up, most of the receipt was MINUSES - the Little Woman had seen that new show on cable ćryr called "Extreme Couponing" and said, "I can do that!"

But unlike so many of us, she actually read the forums, ordered a subscription to three of our Sunday Newspapers to get multiple coupons and spent a couple of hours every Sunday organizing them. It's not a full time job, like the show, she has it at a non-psychotic level so she can do her job as well, but she has cut our food shopping in HALF every single time we go, an that's no joke. In three shopping trips we shaved almost $300, so you might want to consider it, guys!

Interesting fact: average income of a household that uses coupons regularly is $70,000.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1716 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 545

We are retired and no extra income. Thanks to the current interest rates a chunk of my retirement income is gone. We used to be able to afford some luxuries but that is coming to a halt. Our med insurance is going up significantly and food prices are going straight up. Farmers have to live too and are paying more for everything. There are only the 2 of us but I am seeing more going out than coming in and some things we enjoy will have to go. We had some serious med bills last year over the insurance and it put a dent in our savings. I really feel sorry for young people with a family to support. My kids are doing OK but they are feeling the pinch too. At least they have jobs.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Hey guys, I gotta tell you a story. And this same story has been repeated three times now with equal success.

My wife and I were in the same spot: we make good money, but we were looking at where to cut corners and tighten the belt. Then we went to the store one day and the receipt that snaked out was over TWO FEET long! I freaked! My wife told me to look at it first before I had a coronary - and as she handed it to me, she showed me the total was only $65 and change!

As I scrolled up, most of the receipt was MINUSES - the Little Woman had seen that new show on cable ćryr called "Extreme Couponing" and said, "I can do that!"

But unlike so many of us, she actually read the forums, ordered a subscription to three of our Sunday Newspapers to get multiple coupons and spent a couple of hours every Sunday organizing them. It's not a full time job, like the show, she has it at a non-psychotic level so she can do her job as well, but she has cut our food shopping in HALF every single time we go, an that's no joke. In three shopping trips we shaved almost $300, so you might want to consider it, guys!

Interesting fact: average income of a household that uses coupons regularly is $70,000.
My wife is like yours. Keeps my prepper side happy and her money side happy. We are getting wild hogs in New Mexico now. It's always open season and no license required. I had some Ribs from one last month and they are good. Down in Socorro County they are rooting up the farms. Hunting is very welcome and along the Rio Grande River. I call them free range pig.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Y'all got it down pat. The sad thing is, it's going to get worse, much worse in the near future. I moved to the country a few years ago and now get on average, 6 free chicken eggs daily. I have a large garden every year and can a bunch of the produce. Sure does ease the pain a little at the grocery store. I'm toying with the idea of getting a couple of feeder calves to raise and have them butchered when grown. Been a city boy all my life, so raising a couple of cattle might not be a wise decision. I did fine raising the chicks to adults and building the chicken house / run, but cattle... MOO MOO?

P.S. A hilarious thought just crossed my mind. My city wife out in the pole barn milking a bull by mistake

Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 307 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 597

I just heard peanut butter and related prducts are going up by 30-40% next month.
Remember when peanut butter was cheap?
Things are going to get fugly in the next year.
Hang on tight boys and girls . Its going to get bumpy.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:30 AM   #17
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker
I just heard peanut butter and related prducts are going up by 30-40% next month.
Remember when peanut butter was cheap?
Things are going to get fugly in the next year.
Hang on tight boys and girls . Its going to get bumpy.
Okay, that did it! I'm going to do like the rest of you and raise my own feed animals to save money...I may even try to slaughter them myself. Now, where is a good place to find a pair of feeder peanuts?

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-19-2011, 05:03 AM   #18
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1750 Times on 997 Posts
Likes Given: 3530

It is across the spectrum of all goods that prices are starting to climb, food products are the worst getting hit.

I read an article of goods coming into the ports of the United States, they container percentage is down about 15% overall compared to last year for the months of August and September. Those months go with the upcoming Christmas spending season.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #19

Here in Mo. grocery store prices have been getting higher for several months. With the droughts in Texas a lot of feed and hay is now being sent down there for the livestock. Many of the Texas ranchers have sold off most of their cattle from the lack of available feed. I can't see meats doing anything but getting much higher this winter.

I read where China is taking/buying, 900,000 metric tons of U.S. corn this year. Grain prices are way up, which is good for the farmers, but should drive prices even higher. Go to the feed stores and sweet feed and corn are almost 10 dollars per bag, we were paying 3 to 4 dollars a couple years ago.

I don't see food prices doing anything but going up. We may be eating some of our food storage sooner than expected. My wife has also been doing the couponing. I'm lucky because she really enjoys it even though it's almost like another job. A 40 to 50 percent savings is a reasonable expectation with a few hours work each week.