Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Prices, prices, prices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Prices, prices, prices

Whoa! We went to town on Saturday to stock up on household supplies at Sam's and groceries at Wallymart. We filled part of the back seat and didn't even get the trunk full and spent over $500. All we got were normal things, TP, kleenex, juice, nothing that we won't use in the next couple of months. I am getting worried that I won't be able to keep up soon. Just to get groceries has been close to $200 a week and we don't by meat, we get that processed locally in bulk. I might end up having to lower my monthly payment into my Roth IRA just to be keep from eating into our reserves. Scary times are coming, I'm afraid.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Yeah, we noticed the same thing. A couple weeks ago, we went to BJs (like Sam's Club) and dropped $300 on a few things that will get used within a month or two. What we're trying to do is not buy any processed foods or frozen prepared foods - you pay a heck of a premium and the food isn't very good anyway.

It is time to get another freezer and do what you're doing with meat. Buying a quarter or half butchered and wrapped is a smart way to go.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Food prices in CA are nuts. In fact, prices on pretty much anything are nuts here. I shop at the Dollar Store and a cut rate grocery store for storage foods. I also stock up when stuff goes on sale. But even so, it's an expensive proposition.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #4

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Yeah, we noticed the same thing. A couple weeks ago, we went to BJs (like Sam's Club) and dropped $300 on a few things that will get used within a month or two. What we're trying to do is not buy any processed foods or frozen prepared foods - you pay a heck of a premium and the food isn't very good anyway.

It is time to get another freezer and do what you're doing with meat. Buying a quarter or half butchered and wrapped is a smart way to go.
I'm pretty fortunate that I one of my best buds raises cattle. I get a fair price and a butcher in the next town over processes it. I usually just get a quarter and it will last me almost a year. I bought half a hog a couple of years ago and want to do that again too. It is a chunk of money at one time, but you get steaks and roasts for about the same price as hamburger at the grocery store. And it is much better meat IMHO.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 10-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #5

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Concurred, it's getting crazy in the south too. I'm a single guy, live alone, well, me and the beagle, and I'm dropping 100-150 a week just on everyday stuff, milk, sammich meat, pasta, nothing fancy. I can't see it getting any better anytime soon. Makes it tough to prep like I want to. It really wasn't THAT long ago when 50 or 60 bucks fed me for the week and gas was 99c a gallon.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 10-16-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 156

But, the govt is reported little to no inflation... Sure not the case in my world

Old 10-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
But, the govt is reported little to no inflation... Sure not the case in my world
Food and fuel prices are not included in inflation calculations.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

DO NOT get me started about Obamanomics in action!!!!!

Trying to feed a family of 5 on a single part time income (and whatever i can grab doing side work) is getting VERY TOUGH.

and we shop at an "aldi" store...a bragian type food store...putting away for the future or SHTF is a pipe dream.

and there aint ANY "gubmint assistance" of the likes of us....wanna see get mad, see me in a store and watch folks buy lobster and steak and whip out that welfare card! but thats another rant for another day.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It's getting stupid. I been doing my own pork for awhile. We catch the wild ones and feed 'em out. I do the processing myself. Got chickens and turrkeys too. Looking to take on 2 goats for milk. With my big garden I'm gonna have something to eat.

Jimmy

Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
and we shop at an "aldi" store...a bragian type food store...putting away for the future or SHTF is a pipe dream.

and there aint ANY "gubmint assistance" of the likes of us....wanna see get mad, see me in a store and watch folks buy lobster and steak and whip out that welfare card! but thats another rant for another day.
Been there, done that. I understand the anger and frustration. I hope things get better for you.