Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Prepping Tip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Here are a couple of good tips to help you grow a fine garden full of veggies.

1) water early and/or late, you'll lose less H2O to evap. and water deeply, quick watering will only promote root growth near the surface.
2) sprinkle the contents of your vaccuum cleaner bag around the perimeter of your garden 90% of the contents is human dander (if you own dogs it's even better). If you live in the country, pee around, but not in your garden, deer will avoid the area.
3) compost, it's free and easy, add greens, browns and veggie scraps, even better if you can get manure from a farm to add to your pile. Turn it over every week or two.
4) full sun for most varieties of veggies.
5)double dig: dig 2 shovel heads deep at each location you choose to plant a tomato, pepper, eggplant etc,. add compost to very bottom of hole cover with 2-3 inches of dirt, plant roots. Loose soil is easier for roots to penetrate.
6) rotate your crops, plant them in a different part of your garden each year.
7)plant marigolds around the perimeter of your garden nemetodes (root worms) and deer hate them.
8) minimize weeds, they compete for water and block sunlight.
9) don't use pesticides in your garden, you will eat it and also kill beneficial insects.
10) cover parts of your garden with black plastic early spring, to heat the soil up, some plants like tomatoes and peppers need warm soil to thrive.
11) do not over fertilize, you'll promote plenty of beautiful leafy plants with very little fruit.
12) do the tough work: weeding and tilling will pay off big.

There are plenty more tips, but enough for now.
Lots of good tips!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2840 Times on 1645 Posts
Likes Given: 16918

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Lots of good tips!
I think this thread is GREAT..! It gives other options as to staying alive than blood shed..! Who would-a-thunk ?

And TLuker , thanks for this thread and your "Peaceful vision"..!

Last edited by dango; 03-11-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
I think this thread is GREAT..! It gives other options as to staying alive than blood shed..! Who would-a-thunk ?

And TLuker , thanks for this thread and your "Peaceful vision"..!

My motives for starting it were self serving. I always learn a lot from others here when the topic of gardening comes up!

I also hope some that aren't into gardening might decide to give it a try.

I spent a lot of time in the country growing up and I learned a lot of things from grandparents, but I wanted to be more modern like pretty much all teenagers. I became more modern but finally realized that my grandparents were right all along.

Many look at country folks as ignorant and backwoods. But they can walk right out into their yard and pickup all sorts of great tasting healthy things to eat and it's virtually free. Who's the ignorant ones? There are a lot of things we can do to make life better, but those things are not generally promoted in popular culture. Get good at hunting and gardening and you can virtually eliminate your grocery bill. Assuming nothing bad happens and life goes on as normal, eliminating your grocery bill is pretty beneficial? And it is really easy to do for just the summer. Putting up some stuff for winter takes a little more time and effort, but just having fresh produce for the summer is a good place to start.

Obviously if things ever get really bad gardening will invaluable, but for me it's pretty valuable now. On a side note, my grandparents grew up during the Great Depression but they never knew there was a depression. Life for country folks went on like it always had. It was the city folks that suffered.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Your self serving motives have a very vast reach , Thanks again..!
Might I suggest ear and eye muffs..?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 307 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 601

Two years ago we had problems with deer eating our garden too. We hung good old plastic bags from wally world on the fence around the garden. Had to put about 20 around the perimeter but it stopped the deer from jumping the fence. Our garden plot was 25 x 60.
Try it. Its cheap and gives you something useful to do with all those bags.

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

dango Likes This 
Old 03-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #36

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker
Two years ago we had problems with deer eating our garden too. We hung good old plastic bags from wally world on the fence around the garden. Had to put about 20 around the perimeter but it stopped the deer from jumping the fence. Our garden plot was 25 x 60.
Try it. Its cheap and gives you something useful to do with all those bags.
I was once told that hanging bars of soap from the fence will keep deer out of the garden too, but ive never tried it so idk.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

dango Likes This 
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #37

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
How do you guys control the pests? Every year I seem to get into a war of attrition with the birds and insects... Nothing seems to scare the birds off, Ive tried all kinds of things, but here in the desert it seems food and water trumps all their other survival instincts.. (I wish I could just sit in my garden and blast them all with my shotgun!! )
A 22 takes care of most the birds, shotgun does some too. I have several outside cats that wont allow other veggie eating critters near the yard. I have not seen a rabbit within 100 yards of our fences in years. My dog seems ot have a knack for keeping bigger critters out of the place. It's really wild to see her take a raccoon or opossum. She makes really quick work of them. Drops a big paw in their heads then grabs them just behind the skull and shakes once or twice and the neck is snapped. I honestly don't know how she does it all the time and has yet to be cut up any. About the only thing she don't like going after is coyotes. But they usually are not alone so I kind of understand that. She will scare them off usually though.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2512 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1389

Here's a tip for pre-SHTF, while you still have refrigeration. Remember to rotate you canned goods out and eat them near or before the expiration date.

My wife's family grew up with Ham Salad as one of the uses for leftover ham. The other day my wife and I were thinking of lunch items for this week and I mentioned that we had several of those 1lb. Dak canned hams in the basement. I told her I'd make up some Ham Salad for sandwiches.

Well, I decided to sneak Armour Treet brand canned meat into the recipe. I made it up today and it's pretty damn good.
I'm waiting to see if my wife notices any difference. It is a little different tasting!

Here's the recipe:

1 can Ham or Spam (12-16oz.) shredded
1/2 cup Mayo.
2 Tbsp. Sweet Relish
1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard
Black Pepper to taste.

Rinse gelatin off of meat, shred with food processor or cube and shred with fork.
Add mayo, relish, mustard and pepper. Eat!

One more way to use up the canned meat as it gets cycled out of your larder!!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1739 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

To keep the elephants out of your garden. save all of your habernero peppers, grind into a sauce, soak a hemp rope in the sauce and encircle your garden with the rope.....i haven't had one pacaderm in my garden sence....... This works on any animal that depends on its nose to find food........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

TLuker Likes This 
Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In a time of "Gloom n Doom" , what things would most likely have high value and barter well..?

Seed..........!
Alcohol.............!
High capacity gun magazines...........!

By all means , add to this..!