Prepping Tip - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Prepping Tip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3172 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 18420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
My fence keeps out the ground critters...

Ive tried to hang shinny noisy objects, but it works for like two days, and the birds catch on... (Like I said, I think food and water in the desert is worth the risk of getting "eaten")

My barn cats patrol my garden but they cant catch them all!
Don't not..,! I got buroughing critters and deer jump over my little fence !
Wabbits , I don't know how they get in..? Ate all my Basil..!

^^ Darned Horned Owls ate ma cats..! Dino birds , HUGE..! Eeek..!

Last edited by dango; 03-10-2013 at 05:47 PM.
HockaLouis Likes This 
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default Pesky critters......

Going organic, You have to be at watch 24/7.... my aunt walked the rows with a gallon can with two cups of kerosene, all bugs went into the can.....she did this twice a day.......some birds are good for the garden, not so much for the ones that eat the fruits of your labor..... Mocking birds and cardinals........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

dango Likes This 
Old 03-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Going organic, You have to be at watch 24/7.... my aunt walked the rows with a gallon can with two cups of kerosene, all bugs went into the can.....she did this twice a day.......some birds are good for the garden, not so much for the ones that eat the fruits of your labor..... Mocking birds and cardinals........

So then , WAR..! ,so be it .!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 794 Posts
Likes Given: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
My fence keeps out the ground critters...

Ive tried to hang shinny noisy objects, but it works for like two days, and the birds catch on... (Like I said, I think food and water in the desert is worth the risk of getting "eaten")

My barn cats patrol my garden but they cant catch them all!
It really is war and you need to be good at psychological warfare. Kill a few birds and then impale them on some stakes around the garden. That's a real attention getter for all the other birds (works great for crows). You can add some dish detergent to water and put it in a spray bottle and spray your plants. That helps with the insects. And a few steel traps around the entry ways will help keep down the ground critter population (might not be a good idea for the cat though). Think of it as an actual all out war!!!!

I might even try putting out some large rat traps this year with some nice bird seed on the pan?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #25

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
It really is war and you need to be good at psychological warfare. Kill a few birds and then impale them on some stakes around the garden. That's a real attention getter for all the other birds (works great for crows). You can add some dish detergent to water and put it in a spray bottle and spray your plants. That helps with the insects. And a few steel traps around the entry ways will help keep down the ground critter population (might not be a good idea for the cat though). Think of it as an actual all out war!!!!

I might even try putting out some large rat traps this year with some nice bird seed on the pan?
Yeah, in different times the plantings can be considered one big piece of bait... Trading some basil for a rabbit? OK
Old 03-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post

Dracula , I like it ..! Wikipedia "Succubus es" and gardening strategies !
TACTICAL-GARDENING..PATTON..! Hmmmmm...! Stellar..! Bio-Chem. WAR-FARE..! Dango will garden..! Not very (GREEN) , But...

Need some (OSHA-HAZMAT) posters..! WAR......!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Yeah, in different times the plantings can be considered one big piece of bait... Trading some basil for a rabbit? OK
It still works. Deer destroyed my garden last year after moving it to a new location. I put three deer in the freezer last fall!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Dracula , I like it ..! Wikipedia "Succubus es" and gardening strategies !
TACTICAL-GARDENING..PATTON..! Hmmmmm...! Stellar..! Bio-Chem. WAR-FARE..! Dango will garden..! Not very (GREEN) , But...

Need some (OSHA-HAZMAT) posters..! WAR......!

Now that's the spirit!!!!

I really do try to go green, but like I said this is war and anything goes.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default wabbits......

we had a wild rabbit that had a hankering for green oinions.......didn't even have to season the thing......it was shot at nite eating, guess what.....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

dango Likes This 
Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2807 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 1634

Here are a couple of good tips to help you grow a fine garden full of veggies.

1) water early and/or late, you'll lose less H2O to evap. and water deeply, quick watering will only promote root growth near the surface.
2) sprinkle the contents of your vaccuum cleaner bag around the perimeter of your garden 90% of the contents is human dander (if you own dogs it's even better). If you live in the country, pee around, but not in your garden, deer will avoid the area.
3) compost, it's free and easy, add greens, browns and veggie scraps, even better if you can get manure from a farm to add to your pile. Turn it over every week or two.
4) full sun for most varieties of veggies.
5)double dig: dig 2 shovel heads deep at each location you choose to plant a tomato, pepper, eggplant etc,. add compost to very bottom of hole cover with 2-3 inches of dirt, plant roots. Loose soil is easier for roots to penetrate.
6) rotate your crops, plant them in a different part of your garden each year.
7)plant marigolds around the perimeter of your garden nemetodes (root worms) and deer hate them.
8) minimize weeds, they compete for water and block sunlight.
9) don't use pesticides in your garden, you will eat it and also kill beneficial insects.
10) cover parts of your garden with black plastic early spring, to heat the soil up, some plants like tomatoes and peppers need warm soil to thrive.
11) do not over fertilize, you'll promote plenty of beautiful leafy plants with very little fruit.
12) do the tough work: weeding and tilling will pay off big.

There are plenty more tips, but enough for now.