Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Prepping Tip (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/prepping-tip-86137/)

TLuker 03-09-2013 12:19 PM

Prepping Tip

2 Attachment(s)
I thought this would be the perfect time to offer a tip to some on prepping, which is grow your own food. See picture.
Attachment 89741Attachment 89742

That's my first plant to pop up this year. It's a ruby red bell pepper. There are 144 little trays to go with that one and many of those have multiple seeds that will produce multiple plants. I have a lot of other things that will be planted later in the garden without using starter trays. These are mostly early season things and I'm just getting a head start with them since we don't have much of an early season here. I'll also replant some of these in the fall and they will carry me through most of the winter.

I won't be buying vegetables this summer so I'm saving money. I've also been working hard on the storage side of things so that I won't have to buy many veggies in the winter either. My goal is to get to the point that I'm proving almost all of my own meats, fruits, and vegetables. And everything there is heirloom so I can save the seeds to replant next year.

I'm eating healthier, I'm saving a lot of money, and I've increased my quality of living because the food I grow taste much much better than anything I can get out of the grocery store. Not to mention I love doing it. It doesn't get any better than that, and for me that is what prepping is all about.:)

There are several here that are way ahead of me on the gardening side of things, but for those not into gardening you should really think about it. It really isn't difficult and doesn't require that much time or space.

willshoum 03-09-2013 01:08 PM

I have one bell pepper plant, it's hybrid, going on three years. We haven't bought one pepper sence. Same with the jalepeno....as for saving seeds, If your lazy, just freeze the whole fruit or vegatable.....Then squeeze onto your hot bed three months before planting time.... Tomatos work well this way, and cukes.....If you are a fried green tomato freak....Add plenty of bone meal into the hole before you plant, The tomato will not turn red......Add plenty of bone meal to your cukes, onions, and beans......do not put with your mellon crop.....

dango 03-09-2013 02:53 PM

Thanks for the tips.! Having trouble with peppers ? I can get everything else to grow , but peppers , not so lucky.

Had the soil tested in 05 , read some articles that suggest "Wood-Ash and Urine" ! Guess I need to have a couple of beer and barbique parties..! :D

c3shooter 03-09-2013 04:43 PM

Just a quick note to expand on something the OP said- HEIRLOOM.

If you are NOT an old hand at gardening- much of the produce you buy is a hybrid- a cross between two different varieties. The Big Boy tomato is one such hybrid. Nice tomatoes- BUT- if you save the seeds, and try to plant them- you will NOT get Big Boy tomatoes- you'll get Cherry Tomatoes (Big Boy is a cross between Cherry and Rutgers)- they revert to one of the parents. Most sweet corn- likewise.

However, if you shop around for HEIRLOOM species, they are NOT hybrids, and WILL breed true. Save seeds from a Mortgage Lifter or Cherokee Purple tomato, you get more of the same.

And if you are just starting out as a novice gardener, find a copy of Square Foot Gardening. We used that when we lived in Colorado, and a 4'x80' garden gave us fresh produce, and enough surplus to can and freeze.

Sniper03 03-09-2013 04:49 PM

TLucker,

That is great! Does anyone have a particular brand of seeds that is the recommendation?
Also has anyone done any research on, or have experience with Aquaponics?

dango 03-09-2013 04:55 PM

Well C3shooter , I see many people having issues with store bought produce , like not growing at all and not just me !
And thanks for that (HEIRLOOM0 tip..! ;)

Thank you (Monsanto)..! :confused:

This year , I want to try a new way to me ,to grow celery and onions !
Been doing a lot of home work and research in all areas. The pioneers , they did it , we can to..! :)

HockaLouis 03-09-2013 05:42 PM

Taken Out of Context

1 Attachment(s)
First, this is interesting, but, unless you are counting calories this is much of a distraction. Edible accessories. A medium-sized Red Bell Pepper has about 30 calories. You men are probably gonna want 2,500 calories per day if you don't exert yourselves too much. Put it in context!

http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/10-best-seed-companies-selected-by-readers.html

And...

willshoum 03-09-2013 06:00 PM

shelf life..........

I've got punkins sitting on the back porch that i picked last fall. They are still edible and the seeds ready to plant in the spring. Punkins are a great food source, easy to grow, and last with out freezing or canning, or you can put into jars that will last for years if done right.....:)

HockaLouis 03-09-2013 06:10 PM

A cup of 1" cubes of pumpkin meat also has 30 calories.

2,500 / 30 = 83 cups.

willshoum 03-09-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1169995)
A cup of 1" cubes of pumpkin meat also has 30 calories.

2,500 / 30 = 83 cups.

fat people need to eat more punkin.....Spiced with cinamin only......:eek::D