The powers's gone, now what?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The powers's gone, now what?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default The powers's gone, now what?

I'm quite concerned about EMP and power loss in general. For the sake of this thread, let's explore the various aspects of power down.

EMP will disable darn near everything, cars, computers, communication and so on. A long term power outage if just the grid should go down will also have nasty results. Refrigeration goes, hospitals can't store blood, plasma, organs and medications that require refrigeration.

Food will spoil. Freezers and refrigerators won't work. Food will become scarce.

Our beloved internet will be toast. Most communication will be toast.

The books that everybody is stockpiling on assorted readers will be gone. Electronic knowledge will be lost at least temporarily.

I'm old fashioned and buy actual books because of these possibilities. I have a portable generator and it may work after an EMP event, but gasoline is finite. After such an event, refineries and gasoline distribution will be almost, if not completely nonexistent.

Okay folks, let's discuss this.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 09-21-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Don't forget that I and many like me will be hoping we didn't lock the electronical gun safe lock. D'oh. Not to even mention the loss of Angry Birds.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #3

Liked 751 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 832

Found this, Its a interesting read.... AusSurvivalist - EMP Protection

Im not too worried... I have a generator that would be used for the essentials (well, refrigeration, ect.) Im trying to make a garden of native edible plants that dont consume too much water..

All my vehicles are pretty old, so I think anything that "fried" could be repaired or bypassed. A friend and I are working on a way to make alcohol out of a "readily" available resource here in the desert. Ive been thinking of converting my 9n tractor (as a added "bonus" I could crank start it as well)
All it would require is to change a few seals in the carb to handle the alcohol.
Hey it worked for the moonshiners and early racers...

I will still have to look in to diesel as thats what my gener. runs off of. But I hear its not too hard.

I think the barter system could come into play as well...

Im really behind on the times despite being young.. I wont miss much of the electronics, the worst would be the loss of communications.. But Ill survive..

As for books.. I find it so irritating to read a book off a screen, and prefer real books.. (I like your library thread on the other forum)

Last edited by Trez; 09-21-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9167 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Ink on paper is not affected by EMP. A few shielded devices in Casa C3 will make it (non-solid sate geiger counter, etc). Small farm equipment with a magneto ignition will survive- and I can run it on alcohol. Where would I get alcohol? Say- you got a warrant, buddy?

Have a work-around for anything electrical. Unshielded devices will likely fry, along with the power grid. Refrigeration? Gone. Know how to smoke/dry/salt/pickle/can? Heating? Wood. Cooking? Wood. How to get wood? Crosscut saw, axe, splitting maul. Water? We have a well- and rope/pulley/bucket backup. Keep meaning to buy a hand pump, will keep an eye out at farm auctions (can build one if I have to, but rope/bucket worked for my grandparents)

Things you will miss when mass production, transportation, and sales go away? Coffee, sugar, and toilet paper are HIGH on that list, along with salt, soda, and baking powder. I can make soap, but toothpaste is another matter.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Things you will miss when mass production, transportation, and sales go away? Coffee, sugar, and toilet paper are HIGH on that list, along with salt, soda, and baking powder. I can make soap, but toothpaste is another matter.
Early morning urine is a good replacement for toothpaste. Helps you cut down on your water wasting, too.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I didn't even think about that? I have an electronic E-Lock on my safe! I'm pretty much prepared as far as food and water. I have about a six month supply of Mountain House freeze dried food and an additional 10 cases of military MRE'S. I'm on a well and have a nice deep pond on my property and 5- fifty five gallon water drums, with some five gallon ones for the sink, etc. So, with my Berkley water filter, I'm set for water. We be haven a 5,000 watt emergency generator but, I normally don't store more than 5-10 gallons of gasoline. That's enough to fire up some power tools to drill and cut into my safe to get the guns

We got's a wood burning stove and a winters supply of firewood stacked and ready to go in addition to a kerosene heater and 15 gallons of kerosene. The pond has lot's of blue gill, bass and cat fish if need be. More deer than you can shake a stick at.

A diesel Kabota tractor and diesel Dodge Ram pick-up truck with all the attachments. Ten acres of property to grow a garden if need be, and half a dozen chickens producing 6 eggs daily.

Security will be the big issue for us. Even well armed, we would be no match for a gang of motor cycle zombie guys. I suspect we will be much better off here in the country than a urban setting though.

To be better prepared there's allot of stuff I need to get such as: a supply of toilet paper, dish soap, gas, oil, spare parts, bottled propane, etc.

Oh well, according to the book, Kroger will be open for a long time after the EMP, so I'll stock up $50.00 at a time

Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Early morning urine is a good replacement for toothpaste. Helps you cut down on your water wasting, too.
That's hilarious!
I've known models who had used it on their faces.
Great acne killer!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
I didn't even think about that? I have an electronic E-Lock on my safe! That's enough to fire up some power tools to drill and cut into my safe to get the guns
Check the bottom, if it isn't bolted to the floor.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #9

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
. . Things you will miss when mass production, transportation, and sales go away? . .
And for this group, primers, brass, and slugs. Or do you all have muzzle loaders? Still, that leaves gunpowder, unless you're grinding it by hand. (Not really a good idea.) I remember it being 75% saltpeter, 15% charcoal, and 10% sulfur. Although when I made it, it burned hotter without the sulfur.

How were barrels rifled before the industrial revolution?

Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #10

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Here(like most everywhere) water would be the BIG issue. I have a plan but an EMP would hurt my plan,though not ruin it.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Closed Thread