Power outage apocalypse fire drill today - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Power outage apocalypse fire drill today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I keep my garage door opened all day long, and don't close it until midnight, when thieves become a bigger problem than earthquakes in the land that never sleeps beneath us all. Several neighbors' cars were stuck in their garages because the huge 2 car garage doors would not open without electricity. I had told them it is not a good idea to keep them closed in the daytime. Oh well. Cassandra syndrome. From the Trojan War.
Quote:
Our garage doors are huge and take two strong men to open them manually. It can be done, but not by women or by single individuals. I know how to do it. But after telling them they are setting up a technology trap keeping their garage doors closed all the time, I was not about to get hot and sweaty helping them open it. Cassandra Syndrome. From the Trojan War.
Quote:
Ours are not. Its an old community and most things do not work anymore. There are really old rusty springs on the doors, but they hardly work. The electric motors do most of the work.
Quote:
Oh they each have one big coil spring, it is just really old and rusted and not very good.

Give it a rest.
The houses are old, the garage door is old, the springs are old......it needs to go on the prep list for repairing and upgrading.

Most houses have a hollow door leading from the garage to the house, which is easy to breech. If this door has been replaced with a solid steel door and dead locks, the money may have been better spent fixing the over head door.

If the springs are old, they can break at any time day or night, while going up or down, or while they are at rest. If they break after midnight, when the door is down, your car is stuck in the garage come daylight. If they break during the day when the door is up, come night you can't get it down without risking door damage, and then can't get it back up to make an escape later.

If I had a garage, kept my BOV in that garage, I would keep the door closed except for those times I was working and present in the garage, day or night. The overhead door would not only be on my list of preparing, it would be on the top of the list to keep properly functioning and in good working order. I would have a steel core dead bolt door leading from the garage to the home.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8174 Times on 4719 Posts
Likes Given: 10535

Quote:
Today around noon here in sunny California (The Golden State) we had a power outage in my neighborhood because a transformer blew up.

Smoke and the electrical smell of ozone was all over the air as the breeze carried it along.

It was a good drill for a likely apocalypse scenario.

When the power first went out, I noticed it because my tv (tuned to CNN) had blacked out, and my big screen for my computer had blacked as well, although my laptop and screen were still running off the battery. Even though You Tube was still playing Smokey Robinson's song Baby Baby Dont Cry (dedicated to our newest mod, Winds Of Change), I noticed that I had lost internet access through AT&T.

The next thing I did was confirm that all my power in the rest of my home was also out, not just the livingroom. It was all out.

So I took a walk around the neighborhood (peripheral search) to see if the neighbors' power was also out. It was.

Then I widened my search pattern to ascertain how widespread the power outage was (peripheral search patrol from infantry 201 -- tactics on the defense). The whole neighborhood as far as the eye could see (for miles and miles) was also out. Fire engines were screaming and flying down the lanes and streets in all directions, obviously a major problem.

Checked my cell phone ... it still works ... so the State must be fine and this must only be local.

A fire engine stopped, and the brave young men in their orange suits got out to canvass our neighborhood and tell everyone about the outage and the exploded transformer. They promised a restoration within hours as quickly as possible.

Knowledge is power. No pun intended. Good to know.

Walked back to my home, and ran into a neighbor who's dog had run off and helped him find it.

Told several neighbors along the way what the fire dept had told me. They were glad to hear it. Told the neighbor with the lost dog too.

Got back to my home, moved the milk and meat from the fridge to the freezer where I routinely keep 4 jugs of frozen ice, 1 gal each. This should keep the milk and meat until the power comes back on.

I keep my garage door opened all day long, and don't close it until midnight, when thieves become a bigger problem than earthquakes in the land that never sleeps beneath us all. Several neighbors' cars were stuck in their garages because the huge 2 car garage doors would not open without electricity. I had told them it is not a good idea to keep them closed in the daytime. Oh well. Cassandra syndrome. From the Trojan War.

Spent the next 4 hours reading.

I did not particularly miss electricity. I have flashlights and all kinds of camping gear all ready to go.

I miss water more when they turn that off in the neighborhood to fix something, because without water you cannot flush. I have a porta pottie with plastic bags, and a peeing bottle too, but those are more of a pain to set up and use. A flush toilot (first imported into the USA by the now famous Thomas Crapper whose name has stuck with it ever since) is much nicer.

If this was it, the apocalypse, time to bug out, I would just have loaded up my Jeep Cherokee Sport and headed out, for Nevada, Utah, and ultimately Colorado. God's country.

Are you ready also?

Do you keep 4 jugs of frozen ice in your freezer at all times?

Do you have camping gear ready to go at all times?

Including a porta pottie?

Do you keep your gas tank at least 3/4ths full at all times?

Siphoning gear?

Water in jugs?

Water filter?

72 hour kit?

Plan?

Staying informed?

Wow. When our power goes out I just call the power company to assess the extent of it (always have a wired phone connected to the land line, wireless phones won't work and the phone power is independant of the main power system) and switch over a few things for the duration. Pretty easy stuff. After the 1989 earthquake we were without power for a couple of weeks. No big deal. You adapt. Or at least we did here in the hills, not sure how well you flatlanders made out.

And what is with the garage door thing? I never saw a garage door that could be opened by one of those electric openers with no springs to assist. I would just fix them and be done with it.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 06-05-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #13

Liked 162 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
The houses are old, the garage door is old, the springs are old......it needs to go on the prep list for repairing and upgrading.

Most houses have a hollow door leading from the garage to the house, which is easy to breech. If this door has been replaced with a solid steel door and dead locks, the money may have been better spent fixing the over head door.

If the springs are old, they can break at any time day or night, while going up or down, or while they are at rest. If they break after midnight, when the door is down, your car is stuck in the garage come daylight. If they break during the day when the door is up, come night you can't get it down without risking door damage, and then can't get it back up to make an escape later.

If I had a garage, kept my BOV in that garage, I would keep the door closed except for those times I was working and present in the garage, day or night. The overhead door would not only be on my list of preparing, it would be on the top of the list to keep properly functioning and in good working order. I would have a steel core dead bolt door leading from the garage to the home.

They were not very smart in building these units without separate garage access doors. So the garages are a big technology trap.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
They were not very smart in building these units without separate garage access doors. So the garages are a big technology trap.
By your standard.......this leads me to question how smart the people are that live in them?!?!? And not much technology in a garage or garage doors. So, why not just fix them?

Not meaning to beat you up over this, but you brought it up in your OP, and weren't very kind to your neighbors about day/night use of the overhead garage door.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #15

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 50

There is also the problem that you close your door right before bed and the power goes out when you are asleep. You are then in the same boat as your neighbors.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8174 Times on 4719 Posts
Likes Given: 10535

Shoobee, I was in your neck of the woods today (Lawrence and Tasman). Power was out. I made it home OK. Thanks for being on six.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 600 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

So, my area had a higher than normal tide, and some idiot city worker left the flood gates opened. My neighborhood flooded, as did my basement (2 or so feet outside, and 3-ish in my basement).

I had no power, gas, hot water or heat since Sunday night. You want to talk disaster??

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 06-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1182 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 2302

I'm still have nightmares from loosing my TV remote last month. It was awful.

Shoobee, I do like the way you approached that. That's really not a bad idea to turn a power outage into a drill of sorts. I'm also guessing that quite a few of us would run into some sort of technology trap?

Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 600 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I'm still have nightmares from loosing my TV remote last month. It was awful.

Shoobee, I do like the way you approached that. That's really not a bad idea to turn a power outage into a drill of sorts. I'm also guessing that quite a few of us would run into some sort of technology trap?
I'd really only be pi$$ed I couldn't play my video games.

I only come on here while at work. Only watch tv at night (nothing now, since the shows I like are done for the season).

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 04-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #20

Liked 162 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Since back in June 2012 we have had several water outages here, but no prolonged power outages again since then.

During the water outages, I just use my bottled tapwater -- I have about 50 gallons.

It takes about 2 gallons to take a sponge bath while standing in the tub, for full scale washing and including a shampoo. Only takes 1/2 gallon for a minor wiping job though. I have done either from time to time.

They teach you in infantry field sanitation class to wipe down with a rag and water every day, then put on talc powder at your armpits, crotch and feet.

Our water pipe infrastructure must be breaking down where I live, even though it is only about 20 years old here. They must have constructed it with cheap original materials. The cable lines for tv/internet are degrading as well. These units must all be really cheaply built, even though they look good and cost $2500 per month in most cases for rent.

After reading "One Second After," I bought an old fashioned percolating coffee maker for camping, and use it on the stove each morning at home to brew my own coffee now -- sure tastes good that way. No more instant.

Also added a new Ruger Mini 14 Ranch (carbine) to my gun safe, with a scope and clamp-on bipod, and an ammo can full of cartridges for it.

ruger-mini-14-01.jpg   ruger-mini-14-02.jpg   ruger-mini-14-50yd-100yd-4-6-2014.jpg  

Last edited by Shoobee; 04-10-2014 at 07:31 PM.
TLuker Likes This