Power outage apocalypse fire drill today
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Power outage apocalypse fire drill today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 155 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Power outage apocalypse fire drill today

Today around noon here in sunny California (The Golden State) we had a power outage in my neighborhood because a transformer blew up.

Smoke and the electrical smell of ozone was all over the air as the breeze carried it along.

It was a good drill for a likely apocalypse scenario.

When the power first went out, I noticed it because my tv (tuned to CNN) had blacked out, and my big screen for my computer had blacked as well, although my laptop and screen were still running off the battery. Even though You Tube was still playing Smokey Robinson's song Baby Baby Dont Cry (dedicated to our newest mod, Winds Of Change), I noticed that I had lost internet access through AT&T.

The next thing I did was confirm that all my power in the rest of my home was also out, not just the livingroom. It was all out.

So I took a walk around the neighborhood (peripheral search) to see if the neighbors' power was also out. It was.

Then I widened my search pattern to ascertain how widespread the power outage was (peripheral search patrol from infantry 201 -- tactics on the defense). The whole neighborhood as far as the eye could see (for miles and miles) was also out. Fire engines were screaming and flying down the lanes and streets in all directions, obviously a major problem.

Checked my cell phone ... it still works ... so the State must be fine and this must only be local.

A fire engine stopped, and the brave young men in their orange suits got out to canvass our neighborhood and tell everyone about the outage and the exploded transformer. They promised a restoration within hours as quickly as possible.

Knowledge is power. No pun intended. Good to know.

Walked back to my home, and ran into a neighbor who's dog had run off and helped him find it.

Told several neighbors along the way what the fire dept had told me. They were glad to hear it. Told the neighbor with the lost dog too.

Got back to my home, moved the milk and meat from the fridge to the freezer where I routinely keep 4 jugs of frozen ice, 1 gal each. This should keep the milk and meat until the power comes back on.

I keep my garage door opened all day long, and don't close it until midnight, when thieves become a bigger problem than earthquakes in the land that never sleeps beneath us all. Several neighbors' cars were stuck in their garages because the huge 2 car garage doors would not open without electricity. I had told them it is not a good idea to keep them closed in the daytime. Oh well. Cassandra syndrome. From the Trojan War.

Spent the next 4 hours reading.

I did not particularly miss electricity. I have flashlights and all kinds of camping gear all ready to go.

I miss water more when they turn that off in the neighborhood to fix something, because without water you cannot flush. I have a porta pottie with plastic bags, and a peeing bottle too, but those are more of a pain to set up and use. A flush toilot (first imported into the USA by the now famous Thomas Crapper whose name has stuck with it ever since) is much nicer.

If this was it, the apocalypse, time to bug out, I would just have loaded up my Jeep Cherokee Sport and headed out, for Nevada, Utah, and ultimately Colorado. God's country.

Are you ready also?

Do you keep 4 jugs of frozen ice in your freezer at all times?

Do you have camping gear ready to go at all times?

Including a porta pottie?

Do you keep your gas tank at least 3/4ths full at all times?

Siphoning gear?

Water in jugs?

Water filter?

72 hour kit?

Plan?

Staying informed?

Last edited by Shoobee; 06-04-2012 at 12:29 AM.
TLuker Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 839 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 180

internet modem and router on backup battery?

Generator with spare gasoline?

I don't understand the garage door issue, don't they all come with release levers?

Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
internet modem and router on backup battery?

Generator with spare gasoline?

I don't understand the garage door issue, don't they all come with release levers?
Im not that addicted to the internet to where I have pursued alternative communications connections, the best of which would simply be a satellite phone with an adaptor.

I am also not wild about generators because these only tell your neighbors where you are and what you've got. They don't accomplish much else, other than lots of noise and the waste of gasoline which could be put to better use, like bugging out.

Our garage doors are huge and take two strong men to open them manually. It can be done, but not by women or by single individuals. I know how to do it. But after telling them they are setting up a technology trap keeping their garage doors closed all the time, I was not about to get hot and sweaty helping them open it. Cassandra Syndrome. From the Trojan War.

Last edited by Shoobee; 06-04-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #4

Liked 709 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 227

If the garage door springs are ok and set-up correctly any person should be able to open the doors.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
If the garage door springs are ok and set-up correctly any person should be able to open the doors.
Ours are not. Its an old community and most things do not work anymore. There are really old rusty springs on the doors, but they hardly work. The electric motors do most of the work.

Last edited by Shoobee; 06-04-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Maybe it is just me but I don't see how a couple hour long power outage can be compared to an apocalypse. Although I have always found it hilarious watching all the people in the valley freaking out when the power is out. You would link a no electricity for while was a large earthquake or something the way that some people act.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #7

Well my first thought was that the fuse on my power strip was out.

Then I though it was the circuit breaker for the livingroom.

Then I wondered if PG&E got my payment on time.

Then I thought is was just our building.

Then I wondered if it might be the beginning of state wide Enron-esque power outages again.

The fire trucks were actually my first clue that is was only local, plus the smell of smoke and ozone in the neighborhood.

If only local, no big deal.

If statewide it could be the beginning of another summer long problem like back in 2001.

If it was something more major, then you need to procede with your plan.

Most people do not have any plan.

And that is dangerous for us who are prepared -- all the zombies who are unprepared -- 37.7 million zombies.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #8

Liked 2386 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 2293

I'd really like to see an electric garage door opener open a garage door with no springs. It would rip the top panel of the door to shreds.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I'd really like to see an electric garage door opener open a garage door with no springs. It would rip the top panel of the door to shreds.
Oh they each have one big coil spring, it is just really old and rusted and not very good.

Give it a rest.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Are you ready also?

Do you keep 4 jugs of frozen ice in your freezer at all times?

Do you have camping gear ready to go at all times?

Including a porta pottie?

Do you keep your gas tank at least 3/4ths full at all times?

Siphoning gear?

Water in jugs?

Water filter?

72 hour kit?

Plan?

Staying informed?

Got it covered - all of it. I also keep at least one portable generator on hand, fueled and with several gallons of fuel with it and plug it into a transfer switch (or two male/male custom extension cords into outlets feeding the two sides of my breaker box), kill the main house breaker, and keep on going. Even a small genny will power the fridge and freezer and some lights.