Potassium Iodide...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Potassium Iodide...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1021 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1600

Default Potassium Iodide...

Sounds like a good thing to stock up on...in case of dirty bomb, etc. FDA recommends 130mg for adults every 24hrs until threat has subsided Chart in link below has much more info, and dosage by weight for children. Blocks radiation from collecting in the thyroid.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/EmergencyPreparedness/BioterrorismandDrugPreparedness/ucm072265.htm#Can KI be used

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Last edited by rn-cindy; 09-10-2014 at 03:25 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2014, 04:00 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7151 Times on 3915 Posts
Likes Given: 14480

Do you really want to survive radioactive contamination?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 09-10-2014, 04:36 AM   #3

Liked 2196 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
It's not all that bad in the long run from a low yield release. If a small dirty bomb were used total radio iodine release would be fairly small and range wouldn't be that far. If you survive, you can move elsewhere.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

Liked 1021 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1600

For those that dont care to read the report...It's important to know that this is something you need to have in advance. It is not effective after 4hrs of exposure. You most likely wont have time to go out and look for it post event..

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

locutus Likes This 
Old 09-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 215 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 101

About a year ago, at the recommendation of someone on the "inside", I was advised to stock up with a few bottles of Potassium Iodide. It was behind the counter making it necessary to ask for this by name. The young helper grabbed it from the back and as she handed the bottles to me, the pharmacist grabbed them from her hands and asked me to follow her to the private consultation area. I followed her and once we were secluded, she looked me straight in the face and asked me, "what do you know that I should know?!" I just smiled and said it was better to be safe than sorry.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 514 Times on 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
About a year ago, at the recommendation of someone on the "inside", I was advised to stock up with a few bottles of Potassium Iodide. It was behind the counter making it necessary to ask for this by name. The young helper grabbed it from the back and as she handed the bottles to me, the pharmacist grabbed them from her hands and asked me to follow her to the private consultation area. I followed her and once we were secluded, she looked me straight in the face and asked me, "what do you know that I should know?!" I just smiled and said it was better to be safe than sorry.

So you are saying we should stock up right.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Supporting Member

Honestly, I believe the guy on the inside had it wrong. On the other hand, as they say, "it's better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it!"

Old 09-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 261 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
That would be unnerving to me to have to explain why I was making a purchase that I don't need a script for. Wonder how many bottles she took home that night?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Supporting Member

I'm wondering how many cases she ordered from the supplier?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8871 Times on 3843 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Quote:
I would like for that to remain my option.

FWIW, do NOT take supplemental KI (potassium iodide) if you have NOT been exposed to radio-iodine. You do not build up an immunity to radiation. It is just that you have so much incoming iodine that your thyroid (which is where almost all of it goes) is full up, and cannot take in any more, including radioactive iodine.

There is a recommended dose when used as a radiation shield. Does depends on size. NOT recommended for people over 40 unless you KNOW you are going to have a high exposure.

In a pinch, iodine based water purification tablets will also work.

After the reactor meltdown in Chernobyl, millions of folks in Poland were treated with KI to protect from radio-iodine released by reactor. It worked.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.