Post Collapse Skills (With Pictures!) - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Post Collapse Skills (With Pictures!)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hiwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleator,AZ
Posts: 3,315
Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default

When I was living in the frozen northland (Minnesota), in the winter when the master locks were frozen we would either use a small propane torch or if in a hurry(most of the time) we used a bolt cutter. I've cut open many padlocks(several brands).

__________________

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

hiwall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
downsouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,009
Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Default

We have to cut locks in my job. I haven't seen a padlock that could standup to a quality pair of cutters. Cable locks take a lot longer, but a good hack saw will get thru them pretty readily.

__________________

NEVER FORGET

downsouth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Of course, bolt cutters, while a fine bludgeoning weapon and torture device/hangnail remover, are dang heavy in comparison to a lil lock picking kit.
Good luck getting a drunk to cut a live powerline with a lock picking kit, though.

__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ploofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,205
Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
When I was living in the frozen northland (Minnesota), in the winter when the master locks were frozen we would either use a small propane torch or if in a hurry(most of the time) we used a bolt cutter. I've cut open many padlocks(several brands).
Yeah. I used to live up there, too. Grew up eating Ludifisk. I'm just going off of my experiences of trying to get through the hardened steel with a good pair of bolt cutters. It got through after a bit of work, but not easily. Normal drill bits only did a little damage to it, stopping after about 1/8th of an inch in through the front, little to no progress through the back. And there exist bullet proof locks, and locks designed specifically to resist things like that. I just thought you guys would like the info. I guess not.
__________________

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Ploofy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cfraga1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Idaho Falls,Idaho
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy

Yeah. I used to live up there, too. Grew up eating Ludifisk. I'm just going off of my experiences of trying to get through the hardened steel with a good pair of bolt cutters. It got through after a bit of work, but not easily. Normal drill bits only did a little damage to it, stopping after about 1/8th of an inch in through the front, little to no progress through the back. And there exist bullet proof locks, and locks designed specifically to resist things like that. I just thought you guys would like the info. I guess not.
It all depends on the length of the handles on your bolt cutters. If you are using 12" bolt cutters you will have a hell of a time cutting a padlock. Now 3'-4' bolt cutters will cut just about any lock there is without much effort.
__________________

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

cfraga1978 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ploofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,205
Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
It all depends on the length of the handles on your bolt cutters. If you are using 12" bolt cutters you will have a hell of a time cutting a padlock. Now 3'-4' bolt cutters will cut just about any lock there is without much effort.
I'd say it was a good 2' at least. Each time it took a chunk out, but I couldn't quite force it all the way through until after it got stopped by the metal 4 times. I'm only 150 lbs, though, so I couldn't throw a lot of weight into it. (was using a surface to hold one of the handles)
__________________

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Ploofy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cfraga1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Idaho Falls,Idaho
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy

I'd say it was a good 2' at least. Each time it took a chunk out, but I couldn't quite force it all the way through until after it got stopped by the metal 4 times. I'm only 150 lbs, though, so I couldn't throw a lot of weight into it. (was using a surface to hold one of the handles)
Yeah the longer the handles the more leverage you get. 2' is just not enough for the thicker padlocks.
"Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough and I can move the world" Archimedes
__________________

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

cfraga1978 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Post Collapse Ploofy Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 5 12-25-2011 11:18 PM
Anyone with some photoshopping skills? Werminator DIY Projects 8 07-10-2011 05:51 AM
Anybody with CPR skills dragunovsks The Club House 22 03-15-2009 01:36 PM
Post Refinished/Repainted Gun Pictures FlavoredGorilla Engraving & Refinishing 3 10-31-2007 04:02 PM
Demo of Good AK Handling Skills dglockster AK & SKS Discussion 0 10-01-2007 01:39 PM