Post Collapse Skills (With Pictures!) - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Post Collapse Skills (With Pictures!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 231

When I was living in the frozen northland (Minnesota), in the winter when the master locks were frozen we would either use a small propane torch or if in a hurry(most of the time) we used a bolt cutter. I've cut open many padlocks(several brands).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #22

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

We have to cut locks in my job. I haven't seen a padlock that could standup to a quality pair of cutters. Cable locks take a lot longer, but a good hack saw will get thru them pretty readily.

NEVER FORGET

Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Of course, bolt cutters, while a fine bludgeoning weapon and torture device/hangnail remover, are dang heavy in comparison to a lil lock picking kit.
Good luck getting a drunk to cut a live powerline with a lock picking kit, though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #24

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
When I was living in the frozen northland (Minnesota), in the winter when the master locks were frozen we would either use a small propane torch or if in a hurry(most of the time) we used a bolt cutter. I've cut open many padlocks(several brands).
Yeah. I used to live up there, too. Grew up eating Ludifisk. I'm just going off of my experiences of trying to get through the hardened steel with a good pair of bolt cutters. It got through after a bit of work, but not easily. Normal drill bits only did a little damage to it, stopping after about 1/8th of an inch in through the front, little to no progress through the back. And there exist bullet proof locks, and locks designed specifically to resist things like that. I just thought you guys would like the info. I guess not.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy

Yeah. I used to live up there, too. Grew up eating Ludifisk. I'm just going off of my experiences of trying to get through the hardened steel with a good pair of bolt cutters. It got through after a bit of work, but not easily. Normal drill bits only did a little damage to it, stopping after about 1/8th of an inch in through the front, little to no progress through the back. And there exist bullet proof locks, and locks designed specifically to resist things like that. I just thought you guys would like the info. I guess not.
It all depends on the length of the handles on your bolt cutters. If you are using 12" bolt cutters you will have a hell of a time cutting a padlock. Now 3'-4' bolt cutters will cut just about any lock there is without much effort.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #26

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
It all depends on the length of the handles on your bolt cutters. If you are using 12" bolt cutters you will have a hell of a time cutting a padlock. Now 3'-4' bolt cutters will cut just about any lock there is without much effort.
I'd say it was a good 2' at least. Each time it took a chunk out, but I couldn't quite force it all the way through until after it got stopped by the metal 4 times. I'm only 150 lbs, though, so I couldn't throw a lot of weight into it. (was using a surface to hold one of the handles)

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy

I'd say it was a good 2' at least. Each time it took a chunk out, but I couldn't quite force it all the way through until after it got stopped by the metal 4 times. I'm only 150 lbs, though, so I couldn't throw a lot of weight into it. (was using a surface to hold one of the handles)
Yeah the longer the handles the more leverage you get. 2' is just not enough for the thicker padlocks.
"Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough and I can move the world" Archimedes

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.