Post Collapse Skills (With Pictures!) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Post Collapse Skills (With Pictures!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
That lock picking page was useless. It got across the basic idea of how locks work, and nothing else. Descriptions and an audio track might be useful. And, why would cracking a master lock be a useful survival skill? I'd just whack it with something and move on........
Well i guess i dont need to feel bad about not having learned how to pick locks from that then...smashing a lock suffeciently to break it could draw unwanted attention however and knowing how to pick a lock means you can now use a lock for your own purposes without a key.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #12

I think I will focus on skills like:

Water purification
Identify edible plants
Rudimentary blacksmithing
Trapping small game

I plan to be far away from locks, padlocks, buildings, or other people.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Interesting! People usually put locks on stuff that is interesting or useful or fun. (thinking of my footlocker's contents and chastity belts)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Interesting! People usually put locks on stuff that is interesting or useful or fun. (thinking of my footlocker's contents and chastity belts)
Chastity belt? Now I may want to learn some lock pick skills after all. I guess even that can be opened with a 20lb sledge hammer.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Somehow, I came to acquire a basic lock picking kit. It is absurdly easy to pick small locks. By that, I mean any idiot with opposable thumbs can learn to pick desk, file cabinet, and similar locks as well as most wimpy house locks in a few minutes. A rake is your friend. Many bigger locks don't require a lot more effort to learn. Just sayin'.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1236 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 2509

I thought the illustration in that link was pretty good. It helped to understand the theory behind lock picking, and that helps with the practice.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8875 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Post collapse skills- (without pictures- use yer imagination)

Basic survival- water, fire, shelter, hiding (yes, I said hiding. You gotta sleep sometime)
Food gathering and PRESERVATION- hunting fishing, gardening, foraging, and animal husbandry. Butchering, milking, making butter and cheese. Beekeeping.
Handy man skills- carpentry, plumbing, wiring- including building simple generators
Advanced first aid/ medical, including alternative medications, simple surgery, dentistry
Specialized skills- metal working/ blacksmithing, weaving, gunsmithing. moonshining, small engine repair, etc
Martial arts- traps, improvised weapons, firearms, chemical, explosives, personal combat

There are dozens of other skills you can learn for little money. Know how to make bread from scratch? Soap? Tanning leather? Box trap for rabbits?

Like any commodity, knowledge is most valuable when in short supply. If the world turned to ca-ca overnight, I know a simple, hard working man in my community that would be in HIGH demand. Builds some of the nicest fireplaces you have ever seen.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Post collapse skills- (without pictures- use yer imagination)

Basic survival- water, fire, shelter, hiding (yes, I said hiding. You gotta sleep sometime)
Food gathering and PRESERVATION- hunting fishing, gardening, foraging, and animal husbandry. Butchering, milking, making butter and cheese. Beekeeping.
Handy man skills- carpentry, plumbing, wiring- including building simple generators
Advanced first aid/ medical, including alternative medications, simple surgery, dentistry
Specialized skills- metal working/ blacksmithing, weaving, gunsmithing. moonshining, small engine repair, etc
Martial arts- traps, improvised weapons, firearms, chemical, explosives, personal combat

There are dozens of other skills you can learn for little money. Know how to make bread from scratch? Soap? Tanning leather? Box trap for rabbits?

Like any commodity, knowledge is most valuable when in short supply. If the world turned to ca-ca overnight, I know a simple, hard working man in my community that would be in HIGH demand. Builds some of the nicest fireplaces you have ever seen.
Coming from you, I'm really pleased to say I can do most of those things. And there are folks in my very small group that can cover the rest.

As long as we have time to mess around with learning skills that might seem obscure right now, we might as well learn 'em. Worst case is you waste a little time learning something you will never need. Best case is you live longer as a result. Do the math.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #19

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Yeah, I like your list C3Shooter. I can d a fair amount of that also. Uhhh, maybe not animal husbandry.......

In a SHTF scenario, I was thinking something more like sledgehammer or explosives to pick locks. Also rethinking that in regards to the chastity belt......

Old 03-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #20

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I suppose I was assuming the more widely accepted skills wouldn't be necessary to post, as most of them have been discussed in here. The idea of "sniping" is important because if a hostile force is identified, it stands to reason that you'd want to deal with them quickly, quietly, and without getting shot in return. Lock picking is nice because anything worth something is generally locked up and "just breaking the lock" isn't always as easy as it sounds. It also prevents you from locking it up for your own purposes. Anything worth breaking into is probably worth securing, as shelter is necessary for survival, and if it's still locked, you're the first meaning it's relatively safe. Master locks are designed to be indestructible. You can't drill or saw through them without a lot of effort or special tools. Even bolt cutters get damaged when trying to get through the hardened steel. If you want to learn Survivability, Carpentry, Medical Skills, SERE, so on and so forth, I've posted a link to most Military Manuals in PDF form. The military, however, does not teach one how to quietly pick a lock (at least officially) so I posted these to supplement.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis