Post Apocalypse Ethics? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Post Apocalypse Ethics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

For me I'm going to say it'll be on a highly situational, case by case basis.

-maybe enough to help them get by for a week or two
-maybe an ongoing share in provisions
-maybe enough to move them down the road a ways
-maybe nothing at all

A couple of things that will influence/determine my decision making process
-exactly what's going on both tactically at the moment and the overall situation
-who they are/where they're from/what they're bringing to the table
-what MY situation at the time is

Last edited by 45acpjhp; 07-15-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
Would it be moral to do so? I don't know. And, I think, therin lies the problem that some of us are struggling with. Firstly, and I believe most importantly, not many of us, myself included, can truly comprehend a total collapse. Human beings can and are nasty, unpredictable, and violent in the best of times. Secondly, we cannot reconcile our moral or religious beliefs to what decisions that reality might force us to make.
I think it is very easy to reconcile religious beliefs and doing what has to be done. God has put me here to provide for and protect my family. Jesus died on the cross for my sins. The ones I made and the ones I am going to make. If I have to defend my family from an aggressor, I am doing exactly what I am supposed to do and if I die in the act of doing so, it is Gods will.
If I am being charitable as a good Christian should be and am later attacked for it, then it is more than likely the work of evil that I am being attacked. That being said, if I have to kill the person(s) attacking then I am doing the right thing as well.
While I (we) cant comprehend a total collapse, I am confident I will still be able to protect and care for my family and friends that will undoubtedly rally here.
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #43

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
If and when the SHTF, how much of a responsibility to help others do those of us still alive have? Is it worth the extra supplies/day cost to save a life? Even without some sort of payment?
Barring a natural disaster, Liberals will probably be the cause of the SHTF scenario. So seeing as how you claim to be the resident liberal here, come on over to my place after it all goes to hell and we will discuss how much I am willing to expend for you.

I'm just feeling cranky today.
I would help my fellow man to the extant I could.
Ask and you shall receive.( to the best of my ability)
Steal or attack and you will receive something entirely different.

thank goodness for spell check.

Last edited by oldshooter; 07-15-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
Steal or attack and you will receive something entirely different.

Cotton candy and Uno cards?

I like cotton candy.
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-16-2011, 05:23 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
I hope bluegrass will forgive me for using the above quote. I quoted it as a preamble to what I am about to type...

Get your mind right, indeed.

So, my conclusion? Get your mind right. Be charitable, be compassionate, but be aware that being charitable is a choice that exposes you to dangerous possibilities. Being charitable to such an extent that it compromises you and your family's chances of survival is not, in my mind, moral. If you prepped for years in order to survive only to give it all away and die regardless, what did you do it for?
No problem FatPat. And I have to say that you nailed it on the head. I wont lie, I am a pretty young guy. But even I know what people are capable of. And when times get rougher than ever, I am afraid that a lot of morals will have to go out the window if you want to survive. My pops, who is an old Marine who fought in Vietnam, keeps telling me that when the SHTF, he is worried about how I will deal with him turning back into a Marine. He just says, "get your mind right, no choice."

Old 07-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasstank66 View Post
No problem FatPat. And I have to say that you nailed it on the head. I wont lie, I am a pretty young guy. But even I know what people are capable of. And when times get rougher than ever, I am afraid that a lot of morals will have to go out the window if you want to survive. My pops, who is an old Marine who fought in Vietnam, keeps telling me that when the SHTF, he is worried about how I will deal with him turning back into a Marine. He just says, "get your mind right, no choice."
Let your dad know he is not the only one saying to be prepared to get your mind right to younger ones!
Understanding when to turn the dial and convert from normal to emergency situations is what means the difference between living and dieing.
Always be prepared to go from rules to no rules or at best, new rules of living thru any situation.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #47

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

When the sftf I'm not sticking around & if that someone in need doesn't have a motorcycle then there's not much I can do.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM