The Poor mans Semi-MRE - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

The Poor mans Semi-MRE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10745 Times on 4648 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

Sgt Miller- pretty country in your old woods. Spent most of my time North of you- from around the Paxson Lake area to North of Circle, with a few side trips to garden spots (Kotzebue, Barrow) Was dating little lady from Chena that I met in Fairbanks. Was statoned at Wainwright, and Greeley (cadre at Northern Warfare Center).

Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Great idea's Opaww! I did something similar by breaking down a 25 lb. sack of rice and combined two cup fulls of rice with an assortment of beans and either chiken or beef bullion (low sodium), I sealed these separate portions using a seal-a-meal (mine is the cheaper $50 model, which has paid for itself within the first year. I've also sealed coffee beans, dehydrated milk, and brown sugar (cheaper than white processed). You can't use freezer bags to heat-seal as they are polyethylene and don't seal, like the bags made for seal-a-meals. But if you can make a curling iron work, you can buy a cheap roll of bags at WalMart that are generic and work with all styles of seal-a-meals. Personally I would save up for the real thing - it evacuates air so thoroughly that it actually compresses the contents. If you don't get ALL the air out, the contents will degenerate quickly. For cheap canned food hit the dollar stores where you can get spam, canned ham, sardines, etc. for about a $1 a can! These items should last for 5 years. There are some internet sites that sell inexpensive grain mills also - a great tool if you can get cheap sacks of various grains locally, you can seal these as well for many uses.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-01-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #13

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Good input all, A lot to consider and test out. Some ideas are already tested and some needs further testing. The main reason for this is to look at how people with little income can also prepair for some things related to survival.

There is a lot out there that is oft times over looked I guess because we tend to get catalogs from Cabelas or one of the other outdoors supply places and spend our days drooling over the pages. Forgetting that there are people that cannot afford what they wish they could.

Many people buy and use the MRE, when it is out of the question for me so I got to think of other methods of food storage.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but couldn't you just leave the ramen and beef jerky in their original packaging? Or are you trying to save more space? I actually try to keep Jack Link's jerky in all of my pack, but my kids keep stealing all of it! I like the coffee can idea.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #15

Mainly it is to divide it up into ready messured meals, but yes you could leave it in the package it comes in. I find myself tending to dip into the jack links though and ending up with none left.

Last edited by opaww; 07-01-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We suffer from the same problem!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #17

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One thing I've noticed y'all over looking is the morale boost that comes from food.

It wouldn't hurt to add a few of the bite sized candy bay to your MARE (Meal Almost Ready to Eat ) The quick surgar can help if you need energy right away, and it'll taste good. Those of you who've spent any time in the field or the wilderness know, even a small treat like that can do wonders for your morale.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 07-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #18

Great idea Ubergopher

Old 07-02-2009, 01:24 AM   #19

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I love this post. Thanks.

Several years ago we did a 90 mile stretch of the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevadas. We spend a lot of time in the Sierras, but this was amazing.

However, we were required to use "bear cans" to keep our food safe from critters. The problem was the food required wouldn't fit in the can completely. So I took all the food out of it's packaging, and re-sealed it with my FoodSaver vacuum sealer. By some judicious re-sealing, I managed to get everything into my bear can. It ended up being about 1/3 the size of the pre-adjustment size.

The food was kept fresh (well...), clean and safe, but did not take up space. Space has always been the problem on long treks for me.

While not applicable or necessary for every survival scenario, for long range backpacking it helps to have "small food". It is even easier to get the load situated in the pack correctly.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I agree with the protein needs. Dried beans couldbe a huge benefit.

The bodybuilding section at Wally World carries huge canisters of protein powder, Usually a two week supply for about $15. Doubt you could survive on this alone, but it is an appropriate and lightweight supplement.