The Poor mans Semi-MRE
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The Poor mans Semi-MRE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default The Poor mans Semi-MRE

There are many scenarios that may apply to survival, and there are differing scenarios within scenarios. To many in fact to make preparation for all given scenarios not practical and/or cost effective.

We can how ever make ready universal type preparations that may fit the majority of situations with bare minimum needs. Food, water, warmth, protection and the like.

Preparing for any scenario can be costly depending on how and what one wishes to buy and store for any given situation. With a little ingenuity and some symbolince of common knowledge one can prepare for any given scenario by having on hand bare necessities, and we can keep the cost down in price.

One example my youngest son and I are mulling over is immediate survival foods. Now we could spend a lot of money buying MRE’s or maybe buying other commercial long life survival foods from a supplier. This is not practical for us sense we are not made of money nor have I found a tree that grows money as of yet. So we must make use of other options that many people forget about. I call it The Poor Man’s Semi-MRE.

Note; I am still working out some bugs in it.

One pack of Ramen noodles, (flavor you like). Note; 1
One pack/bottle of Bullion flavor (flavor you like)
One pack of Beef Jerky I prefer Jack links peppered flavor myself.
Some dehydrated Veggies and Fruits.
Small Bag of self Lighting Charcoal.
One poor mans Daisy Seal-a-meal “Curling Iron”, (Note; Still to be tested)
One Gallon freezer bags (Cheep ones will work)
Hand pump to remove air from bag
One Poor Mans hand made cook stove. Note; 2

Note; 1 You can use Minute Rice, other noodles that cook fast, or even your dehydrated potato’s like the Beef Stroganoff type used in hamburger helper. The list has only limited by ones imagination.

Half Ramen noodles (Note 1), Place in corner of freezer bag with 2 strips of Beef Jerky (Cut into 1 inch squares,) crush bullion cube and quarter, placing 1/2 of a cube in with Ramen. Use hand pump to remove the air from the bag, once air is removed use Poor Mans Daisy Seal-a-meal to seal the bag around food in it. Then open the rest of the bag and place other essentials in bag like dehydrated peas again pump air out and seal.

Do this with all the little dehydrated goodies you want in the bag, but leave room for 2 self-lighting charcoal briquettes and a few light anywhere matches, to be sealed also.

This makes a Poor Mans Semi-MRE that can be cooked with in minutes. And sense we don’t need 4 big Mac’s with 2 large fries and a diet coke for each meal, this will sustain us in part for a while. Sense the items one gets to put this together is in a large quantity it can be divided into many meals of the equal portions making it cost savings and is a balanced meal. A 1 Gallon freezer bag can hold a lot of food if one is put together with care, you might even have room for an essential like toilet paper in that same bag.

Shelf life on this Poor Mans Semi-MRE, I have no idea but it should keep quite a while if the air is removed and it is sealed good. Someone may have a better idea for the Poor Mans Daisy Seal-a-meal that will work better then your wife’s Curling Iron and may just save a marriage too.

Note 2; The Poor mans cook stove can be made from a 1 pound coffee can cut down to about 4 inches in height. You can make a small screen to put in the bottom at about 1 inch from the bottom to put the Charcoals on, and a small top piece to hold a small pan to cook with. Or one may buy one of the ready-made small portable cook stoves.

Many people want to be prepared for emergencies but find that the cost is a little prohibitive for their pocket book. What is needed today is the ability to prepare with a minimum cost for many people.

opaww

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #2

Just a note here, and that is this was a little bland for my taste and I added and took away from it untill I got clost to a fair taste.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9133 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Some very good ideas here- but would suggest caution with one part of the foregoing- the self lighting charcoal.

Much of this is pre-treated with a type of lighter fluid. This will tend to attack some plastics, and is really a bummer when it gets thru the bag into your food. Would suggest package in its own bag.

You might also consider some of the dried soups that are quick cooking. Check the package labels- you are looking for the greatest number of calories you can get, as well as some bulk to take the edge off your hunger, and keep yer tummy happy.

The "tin can stove" actually works very well- Use a "church key" beer can opener to put 4 openings in the SIDE at the top for increased airflow- in the absence of charcoal, you can use twigs, pine cones, etc.

I have a modified 1 gallon can that I use for baking when camping- both ends are removed and saved. Can is drilled at 3 equally distant spots about 3 inches from one end, and right at the other end. Insert a small stove bolt (about a 3/4 inch long 10x24 stove bolt) so that the ends stick inside the can, and secure with a nut. Place one of the saved can ends inside, so it rests on the 3 stove bolts. The other end, with a wooden or metal knob added to the center, becomes your oven lid. Light 3 charcoal briquettes, get a good burn going, and place your oven on top of the charcoal. Pan ( foil folded several times will work) holding cornbread or muffin batter is placed in the oven, and lid goes on top. One or two church key openings around the BOTTOM side will improve airflow for your charcoal.

While bulky, when you are packing, you can pack stuff INSIDE your oven- and it actually takes up very little room in a pack.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #4

Excellent c3shooter, this is to get people thinking just how they can prepared with little cost compared to out fitting at say a big survival store. Great contribution there and I will be looking to modify my stove as you said and the charcoals I will change as well.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Geez, you're going gourmet on us.

I think it's a great idea. However, I've eaten so much Ramen in my life that I won't even try to dress it up anymore.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #6

Pay no attention to me, I am a stupid, racist, poser, moron.....

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-06-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 AM   #7

First let us go through your list sense many of us have spent time in the jungles and wilderness of the world and know full well what Mother Nature can do. This is not just for a run off to the hills thing it is also for natural disasters at home.

1. If you would of took time to read instead of just guessing, you would see that the statement was for the charcoals to be sealed from moisture.

2. There was no mention of lighter fluid only the reference to self-lighting charcoals.

3. Meat is protein not just the fat though the fat is essential for quick fix of needed fats and protein.

4. An 8" cast iron skillet weighs more then the cook stove that is mentioned and weight is a factor of a SHTF where one is on foot trying to get away.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 AM   #8

Interesting...

Old 07-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9133 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Well, not to get in a pizzing contest, but have spent much more than 24 hrs in assorted woods, ranging from Northern Alaska to Central America, and a few vacation spots in SE Asia.

I do have a nice cast iron Dutch oven- can bake a pie or cinnamon rolls, cook a roast, or make damned good chili- but not if I am packing it! I do use aluminum, small stainless, and foil when backpacking. Have 4 kids and 7 grandkids that have grown fat and sassy eating my trail cooking. On July 4th, granddaughterand I will be hiking part of the Appalachian Trail for the weekend.

Yes, much of the forest is full of fuel- I use light wood knots for a really hot fire with a reflector oven (foil and green twigs) and cook real good baking powder biscuits for breakfast. But when it has rained for week, and even the inner bark on a dead cedar is hard to light, a couple of chunks of charcoal and a fire starter are handy to have. I have made a cold camp and lived- but I really do like that hot cup of coffee in the morning.

Yep- you need protein- but you BURN carbs. I like some of both. Dried beef, dried barley, few split peas, some dried vegetable flakes, salt, and water- let it low simmer, and you have a good pot of soup. dice a potato and let it cook last while you are making cornbread, and you will sleep warm and happy.

BTW, the big factor for me is water. Carry a 2 liter canteen, and a PUR backpacker's filter- good for 1000 gallons if you start with fairly clean water- but that assumes there is raw water to be had. Have hiked some really dry country in the 4 corners area of Utah/Colorado.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:43 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Kill-Zone, if you have any good ideas to add to opaww's, feel free to elaborate. I would suggest that it's not a good character trait to immediately dismiss other's survival ideas just because they may differ from your own. Take opaww's information and adapt it to your needs if you deem it useful.

For the sake of this thread I will say that I am an experienced woodsman myself. I am only 30 years old (turn 31 this month), but I grew up in Alaska (until I was 19 and joined the service). During that time I spent a total of almost 2 years literally living in the woods. I lived in a place called Slana, Alaska. I believe it's a small town now, but it used to be a couple of small cabins back when I was younger.

opaww has really good info. I'm sure you have good info also, and I would like to hear it as long as it's not derogatory in nature.

I would love to spend 24 hours in your woods. Of course, I would then challenge you to spend 24 hours in my old woods (take your pick, of course. I usually spent my time just north and east of Mount McKinley, and I really liked to spend time out back in the Knik river region. Sometimes I would venture out with friends down south of Anchorage on the panhandle towards the Kenai/Soldotna regions. The Yukon region is a little hairy sometimes, but the caribou sighting are amazing). I think you would really like the scenery.