Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Pocket sized chainsaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 326 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Pocket sized chainsaw

Just figured I'd share this with everybody since saving weight/room in a BOB is a fairly big issue.

It's literally pocket sized when folded up. Just found it really nifty and thought a few of you might as well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Looks pretty neat. In case anyone missed it, go to http://survivalgeek.com/ and you'll see the pocket chainsaw there.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

I currently have a wire saw with my BOB. It's not the greatest, but it's better than nothing. I will be looking to this tho for sure thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

I believe I could have gnawed through that log quicker, and with a lot less effort.

If I was using it for firewood I would have just let the damn thing burn in half. As far as using it to build a shelter, forget that, I would rather sleep in the freaking rain.

I don't see it as a practical solution.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #5

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can cut through logs up to 4" in diameter fadter w my pull saw. Or just use my ka-bar heavy bowie strapped to my pack to hack them into the right lengths.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #6

But if you don have room for a full sized saw or happen to lose your Bowie, even if you don't lose it, might not want to dull it quickly. To me this thing seemed like a pretty cool idea.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido
But if you don have room for a full sized saw or happen to lose your Bowie, even if you don't lose it, might not want to dull it quickly. To me this thing seemed like a pretty cool idea.
The bowie scabbard will take a hell of lot of effort to remove. The knife is hard to get out of the scabbard. I carry a dual sided stone and a steel. So im not worried. plus branches and hackin apart carcasses is why i carry said knife. Ask anybody that owns a ka-bar of any sort and they will tell you they sharpen easily and hold an edge very very well.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

The bowie scabbard will take a hell of lot of effort to remove. The knife is hard to get out of the scabbard. I carry a dual sided stone and a steel. So im not worried. plus branches and hackin apart carcasses is why i carry said knife. Ask anybody that owns a ka-bar of any sort and they will tell you they sharpen easily and hold an edge very very well.

Well....I suppose you wouldn't have anything to worry about with that then. But not all of us (such as myself) have the money to put towards such a nice knife. Thats where this thing comes into play.

I also think it would probably be faster to cut through a foot thick log with this little saw then it would be to cut it with a ka-bar. But I've also never had the chance to use either, so that's just a thiught.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido

Well....I suppose you wouldn't have anything to worry about with that then. But not all of us (such as myself) have the money to put towards such a nice knife. Thats where this thing comes into play.

I also think it would probably be faster to cut through a foot thick log with this little saw then it would be to cut it with a ka-bar. But I've also never had the chance to use either, so that's just a thiught.
I took the knife as payment for work done on a guys shotgun. A foot thick yes but up to say 8" im just as quick on the hack as that saw appears to be. I have used a good machete and hatchet for a long time loggin though....as in for the last 10 years or so.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

I took the knife as payment for work done on a guys shotgun. A foot thick yes but up to say 8" im just as quick on the hack as that saw appears to be. I have used a good machete and hatchet for a long time loggin though....as in for the last 10 years or so.

Damn, glad to see people still make trades out there. Money seems over rated and tends to cause a lot of problems in my eyes.
But your right, it does depend on who's using the blade VS the saw.