Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Pocket sized chainsaw (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/pocket-sized-chainsaw-56538/)

kaido 01-29-2012 02:37 AM

Pocket sized chainsaw

Just figured I'd share this with everybody since saving weight/room in a BOB is a fairly big issue.

It's literally pocket sized when folded up. Just found it really nifty and thought a few of you might as well.

bkt 01-29-2012 12:22 PM

Looks pretty neat. In case anyone missed it, go to http://survivalgeek.com/ and you'll see the pocket chainsaw there.

Sniper75 01-29-2012 03:40 PM

I currently have a wire saw with my BOB. It's not the greatest, but it's better than nothing. I will be looking to this tho for sure thanks for the heads up.

Chainfire 01-29-2012 09:51 PM

I believe I could have gnawed through that log quicker, and with a lot less effort.

If I was using it for firewood I would have just let the damn thing burn in half. As far as using it to build a shelter, forget that, I would rather sleep in the freaking rain.

I don't see it as a practical solution.

Marlinman 01-29-2012 10:04 PM

I can cut through logs up to 4" in diameter fadter w my pull saw. Or just use my ka-bar heavy bowie strapped to my pack to hack them into the right lengths.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

kaido 01-29-2012 11:41 PM

But if you don have room for a full sized saw or happen to lose your Bowie, even if you don't lose it, might not want to dull it quickly. To me this thing seemed like a pretty cool idea.

Marlinman 01-29-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido
But if you don have room for a full sized saw or happen to lose your Bowie, even if you don't lose it, might not want to dull it quickly. To me this thing seemed like a pretty cool idea.

The bowie scabbard will take a hell of lot of effort to remove. The knife is hard to get out of the scabbard. I carry a dual sided stone and a steel. So im not worried.;) plus branches and hackin apart carcasses is why i carry said knife. Ask anybody that owns a ka-bar of any sort and they will tell you they sharpen easily and hold an edge very very well.

kaido 01-29-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

The bowie scabbard will take a hell of lot of effort to remove. The knife is hard to get out of the scabbard. I carry a dual sided stone and a steel. So im not worried.;) plus branches and hackin apart carcasses is why i carry said knife. Ask anybody that owns a ka-bar of any sort and they will tell you they sharpen easily and hold an edge very very well.

Well....I suppose you wouldn't have anything to worry about with that then. But not all of us (such as myself) have the money to put towards such a nice knife. Thats where this thing comes into play.

I also think it would probably be faster to cut through a foot thick log with this little saw then it would be to cut it with a ka-bar. But I've also never had the chance to use either, so that's just a thiught.

Marlinman 01-30-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido

Well....I suppose you wouldn't have anything to worry about with that then. But not all of us (such as myself) have the money to put towards such a nice knife. Thats where this thing comes into play.

I also think it would probably be faster to cut through a foot thick log with this little saw then it would be to cut it with a ka-bar. But I've also never had the chance to use either, so that's just a thiught.

I took the knife as payment for work done on a guys shotgun. A foot thick yes but up to say 8" im just as quick on the hack as that saw appears to be. I have used a good machete and hatchet for a long time loggin though....as in for the last 10 years or so.

kaido 01-30-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

I took the knife as payment for work done on a guys shotgun. A foot thick yes but up to say 8" im just as quick on the hack as that saw appears to be. I have used a good machete and hatchet for a long time loggin though....as in for the last 10 years or so.

Damn, glad to see people still make trades out there. Money seems over rated and tends to cause a lot of problems in my eyes.
But your right, it does depend on who's using the blade VS the saw.