Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Pasta ?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/pasta-56999/)

tenntyrant 02-04-2012 07:03 PM

Pasta ??

Is pasta like spaghetti noodles good to stock up on and what about spaghetti sauce will these type of foods store for a while? This is my second week going to sans to get canned goods and man it ain't cheap. I'm going to try and get 100 bucks a week until I get what I think I need , I am also looking at water how should I go about water and ways to filter and store it?

trip286 02-04-2012 07:23 PM

Spaghetti sauce is stored in the canned goods section, so I think it would be fine for done time as long as its unopened.

I don't know jack about storing bodies, but they are high in starch, which bugs love.

trip286 02-04-2012 07:23 PM

Autocorrect! I don't know jack about storing NOODLES!

shadamai 02-04-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 699364)
Spaghetti sauce is stored in the canned goods section, so I think it would be fine for done time as long as its unopened.

I don't know jack about storing bodies, but they are high in starch, which bugs love.

Umm...lol ;)

Now that's a funny autocorrect...

trip286 02-04-2012 07:29 PM

My phone has a habit of calling people artichokes, except for c3, it calls him bad dirty names. Screw this, its high time I get it figured out how to turn it off.

trip286 02-04-2012 07:32 PM

I think I have it fixed now.

downsouth 02-04-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
I think I have it fixed now.

I was worried, your phone would make Jeffery Domner proud. SMH

fireguy 02-04-2012 09:43 PM

If you are going to get pasta you can just rotate storage and it will keep well for a couple of years if kept cool and dry. If you want to put it up for long term I would use O2 absorbers and mylar bags.

As for the water, I use the 7 gal. jugs from walmart and 5 gal. food grade buckets with gasket lids. I add a few drops of clorox and hammer the lids shut. A friend of mine works part time at Walmart in the tire shop and has made friends with the bakers there. He brings home all the 5 gal. buckets he wants that formerly held donut icing. I just wash them and disinfect with a chlorine mixture and use them for food and water storage. Because my wife is a little finicky and the water is cheap to replace I refill the buckets at around a year. I just pour the buckets out in the flower beds so they can soak it up and refill and retreat. I try to have at least 60 gallons on hand all the time plus whatever bottled water we happen to have. I keep it in the garage where it is out of the way. I also have a spare refrigerator out there that holds jars of peanut butter, cans of dry milk, dry eggs, and cans of tuna, beef, salmon, all of the things that can benefit from colder storage to help them to last at a better quality. I also use the freezer compartment to hold several gallons of olive and veg oil. Fats can go rancid after a time, but won't if kept frozen. I'm going to get some shortening and lard to put in there as well.

I bought the ceramic water filter the Cheaper Than Dirt sells and set it up with two 5 gal. buckets as a filtration station if I ever need to go that route.
The kit is less than $30.

damocles 02-04-2012 10:35 PM

Hi all, I'm new here but interested. I just found a website that may help: www.shelflifeadvice.com. I also heard recently about canned tomato products reacting to the can lining. They said you should get tomatoes in glass. I believe it was on a yahoo page about what experts don't eat.

fireguy 02-04-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damocles (Post 699529)
Hi all, I'm new here but interested. I just found a website that may help: www.shelflifeadvice.com. I also heard recently about canned tomato products reacting to the can lining. They said you should get tomatoes in glass. I believe it was on a yahoo page about what experts don't eat.

There is some concern about the acidity of tomatoes in a can. For a the marked shelf life on the can and a year or so beyond, I think they would be fine. Glass is an excellent storage device but it requires careful attention. If I was in an earthquake prone area I would probably be very reluctant to rely on glass containers.