Pandemic

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Pandemic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pandemic

Watched on television the other night a program called "Life after Armageddon" a dramatized documentary about a family fleeing an epidemic of a virulent strain of influenza.

They trotted out the "experts" some seemingly knowledgeable and some not so much. There was some fairly good information regarding the process of how society breaks down. First medical care, then transportation, the law and order, information, power, water, etc.

What struck me is that the dramatized part of it, the family fleeing the city to ride it out with a relative in Idaho, they did everything, and I mean everything, WRONG.

In an epidemic, you don't ride it out, you head for the hills, post f-ing haste. An airborne virus is not going to be stopped by the walls of your home, unless you've a very, very special sort of home, or you're immune, the latter I wouldn't want to risk. The bodies piling up around you would spawn all sorts of trailing diseases, typhoid, dysentery, you name it. Just get out.

They fled the city virtually unarmed. One pistol, that they either didn't know how to use or were frightened of.

They abandoned their transportation (a minivan no less) at the first sign of trouble.

Just a pathetic attempt at bugging out, but I think it illustrated just how badly prepared most Americans are, and would be, in the event of a large scale disaster.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2011, 04:42 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthebald View Post
Just a pathetic attempt at bugging out, but I think it illustrated just how badly prepared most Americans are, and would be, in the event of a large scale disaster.
I'll bet it made for good drama, though!

I don't have to worry over here, the wind and salt air takes care of most of the nasties.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

I saw that back months ago. The scary part is, it's probably an accurate portrayal of most of society.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I saw that too. It's a wonder they even made it out of the city.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It's been out there a while. I would say it was made to show, what not to do. I mean the guy is suppose to be a Paramedic. Just thought they would be a bit more prepared is all.

They waited WAY to long to leave imo anyway....

But I thought it might be a fair repersentation of what things might be like in that type situation.

Jimmy

Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I guess they didn't like guns either. After his wife shot that guy, they ran and left their revolver and that guy's shotgun behind. I would have grabbed both. They also didn't take the gun from that group of kids that tried to kill them. You can get a whole lot farther in a situation like that if you have a gun to defend yourself with.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Saw the same a couple of weeks ago. If I bugged out right now with the wife and kid, and nothing but a pistol and my wife's old beat up Caddy, I would still have a better chance at surviving than those yahoos.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Looking past their mistakes and beyond, it was eye opening. How many of us would survive in an environment with no medical care, no gasoline, no electricity, and no knowledge of how to grow and/or kill food. How many of us even know how to assemble bullets, much less make gun powder?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Looking past their mistakes and beyond, it was eye opening. How many of us would survive in an environment with no medical care, no gasoline, no electricity, and no knowledge of how to grow and/or kill food. How many of us even know how to assemble bullets, much less make gun powder?
That's what I been trying to do forever....learning how to.

Jimmy

Old 09-30-2011, 01:27 AM   #10

Default Learing

The whole of life is a learning experience.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin