Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Opinions on my preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
Wait so here's what I found, basically I boil a jar and lid, put in some vegetables, then fill it with vinegar or salt water and screw the lid on?
There is a bit more to it than that, but its not complicated and most house hold kitchens already have the necessary equipment.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #42

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Wait so here's what I found, basically I boil a jar and lid, put in some vegetables, then fill it with vinegar or salt water and screw the lid on?

LOL, no, not quite........................the reason that "canned" foods last so long, is that the bacteria (that were on, in, and around the food, jar, jar lids, your hands, etc, etc) are killed in the process of puttin them under the pressure cookers intense "steam treatment."

i would've said heat treatment, but there is more to it than that. steam is "super-heated" water, therefore it is hotter than boiling water. in a pressure cooker, that steam is compressed, and the "super-heated" steam GETS HOTTER STILL. the foods inside the jars are raised to a high temperature (higher than normal cooking), and any living organism that was in, on, or around, before pressure cooking is now toast.

the average time for a pressure cooker depends on what type of food is bein canned, and how long it takes to get the cooker to the appropriate internal temperature. so, on average, you could say.........anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #43

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

By the way, a pressure cooker is part of our preps. But not for canning.

We have a spare quart-and-a-half (two-quart is cheaper and better for at least two people) kit set aside with two spare seals and spare emergency release plug and pressure valve as well! This should last an emergency lifetime. Cooking in one is MUCH faster and fuel efficient. Doing the staple of dried beans takes so little time my honey ALWAYS overcooks them because she just can't accept they're done in minutes instead of a couple of hours (when you've soaked them overnite).

Last edited by HockaLouis; 10-09-2012 at 01:21 AM.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This