Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Opinions on my preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You are on the right track with what you have, except with the milk jugs, they won't last long, don't count on them.

Do you have a goal for how big of a larder you want to have? A minimum of two weeks is generally suggested by the state and fed emergency officials. A well stocked pantry can get you by for that amount of time.

Just starting out like you are, I suggest buying what you usually eat, just in a larger amount. If you like canned peas, buy ten cans instead of the few you usually get, same with pasta, sauces, etc. Most canned goods will last for several years before there is any degradation in quality or nutrition.

If you eat rice it is a great staple to stock for longer term and to make your veg and meat go further. Coupled with beans you get a complete protein that you can live on. Make sure you have seasoning for your rice and beans. I like to keep lentils and quinoa on hand too. Kosher salt is cheap and will last forever, chicken and beef boulion will keep in the freezer for a long time. Granulated garlic, onion powder, pepper, dried chilis, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, dried parsley, chives and other herbs will help make even cardboard more palatable, so keep them on hand too.

Don't forget fats, you need them to thrive, so olive oil, lard, vegetable oil, etc are essential. Good luck.

It takes time to get a good stock, just work on it as you can.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #12

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I hate having to rotate food. Because of my age it makes it difficult to rotate food so I prefer to have food that lasts long. What do you suggest I store long term? How?super pails? Mylar? My local target has freeze dried fruit right now should I pick up a few bags?

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Are you equipped to make fire for cooking the noodles and such? Even if you don't smoke, a couple of bic lighters doesn't take up much room; waterproof matches or wooden matches in a water-proofed container would probably be as good. I have a little sparking rod for starting campfires in a pinch; i think it is made with magnesium or something & scraped by steel.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #14

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I hate having to rotate food. Because of my age it makes it difficult to rotate food so I prefer to have food that lasts long. What do you suggest I store long term? How?super pails? Mylar? My local target has freeze dried fruit right now should I pick up a few bags?
Ask yourself this will you eat freeze dried fruit ? buy the stuff you will eat . concentrate on high carb, high protein food . Pastas, rice are all high carb , high carb gives you more energy . dried goods like freeze dried fruits, pasta, rice , dried beans are a very valuable item they can be stored long term , lighter in weight than packing cans around , They take up less space than canned and boxed goods . canned chicken , tuna, salmon are all high protein foods your body needs proteins to help keep you healthy . I like pails there stackable have a nice carry handle . I like to vac seal my stuff before putting it in the pails but thats just me

Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
I would also suggest ammo. If things get really bad, which is almost inevitable, it makes good barter, as long as you don't barter it to someone who will use it against you
That is why I have two types for this category. .22lr ammo, and empty brass for usable calibers like .45 and .308
Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #16

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I have fire steel but not nearly enough matches or lighters. How can I store olive oil long term? How long is it good for? How long is food good for if I put it in home depot buckets and throw in oxygen observers without Mylar? I was thinking about picking up some 1 gal bags and storing some vitamins and mess in them like some vitamin b and c and some Tylenol, aspirin, advil, mucinex,etc. I already have a real good knife too(buck 119 special) I want to store at least a months worth of food and water.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #17

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
So what's the next thing I should buy?
After that big dinner?
Why, DESSERT of course!

Beast, you need to count calories and try to balance carbs with proteins and fats. So, here's the same test question almost no-one here'll be able to answer... How many days worth of food is that!?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1163 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 2196

One of my favorite passages from the Bible is "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." That's just something I try to keep in mind for myself.

There's nothing wrong with stocking up on stuff but you'll need a way to replenish at some point. And you might not need as much stockpiled if you can provide it for yourself. A good water filter might make it easier to come by water? You might not need as many beans if you can grow some? Just something to keep in mind.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #19

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I keep my extra oils in the freezer. I rotate them out from there when I need a container to cook with. They won't go rancid in the freezer and will give you at least a year or better if you lose refrigeration.

I make my own buckets with mylar and O2 absorbers. Fill and seal the bags with beans, rice, or pasta and close them up.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Lots of beer, vodka, tomato juice or V8. You can trade it if you dont drink it. White vinegar, Listerine, sanitizing lotion, toilet paper, toothpaste, floss, anti diarrhea, antibiotic ointment, toothpicks, soap and the list goes on. Dont forget the items that you will be desperate for and cant get. If you have kids, Pedialite and kids Tylenol.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."