Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Opinions on my preps? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/opinions-my-preps-73650/)

beastmode986 10-03-2012 06:09 PM

Opinions on my preps?

So far heres what I have
4 maruchan instant lunchs
7 raman noodles
13lbs of rice
10 oz pinto beans
9 gallon's of water in thick container's
4 gallons of water in milk jugs
46 bottles of water(16.9 fl oz each)
22 bottles of water(10 fl oz each)
5 oz pink salmon(good til 2015!)
2 cans of beef stew
2 cans of refried beans(to mix with rice.)
4 small cans of potted meat(can also be mixed in with rice)
2 cans of chicken soup
1 can of beef pot roast
3 cans of peaches
1 can of sweet corn
1 can of beef ravioli
2 cans of chunky chicken breast
1 can of spaghetti o's
1 large can of chicken soup
19 cans of tuna

What do you guys think? I already have a good b.o.b put together.

NitroxAZ 10-03-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode986 (Post 962985)
So far heres what I have
7 raman noodles
13lbs of rice
10 oz pinto beans
2 cans of beef stew
2 cans of chicken soup
1 can of beef pot roast
3 cans of peaches
1 can of sweet corn
1 can of beef ravioli
1 can of spaghetti o's
19 cans of tuna

Good start. Sounds like mostly pantry items. If you have room I would personally continue to but rice, beans and canned meat/tuna as budget allows. I would also suggest ammo. If things get really bad, which is almost inevitable, it makes good barter, as long as you don't barter it to someone who will use it against you:eek:

vincent 10-03-2012 07:14 PM

Yep, good start alright...check this out...all in one, pretty cheap and I hear it actually tastes pretty good too!! :D

http://www.emergofoodstorage.com/products/84-Serving-Grab-and-Go-Bucket.html

Can never have too much ammo...

Baked beans, right off the supermarket shelf, can last 3-5 years as is...

Candles are cheap and versatile sources of heat and light...

Some type of water purification system is a must, everything from the fancy schmancy stuff to charcoal and sand in a PVC pipe will get you by in a pinch...

A vacuum sealer is a great investment, you can buy stuff like beans and rice in bulk to save some money...

orangello 10-03-2012 07:22 PM

Soup pot, Toilet paper/paper towels might be handy as well in with the food items. Also, if you get out of town, some of those water treatment tablets (iodine i think) would be useful.

beastmode986 10-03-2012 08:17 PM

So what's the next thing I should buy?

12fretter 10-03-2012 08:23 PM

"Candles are cheap and versatile sources of heat and light..."

I suggest unscented Soy candles. They burn a lot longer than paraffin, MUCH cleaner, and the unscented means you won't attract any marauders looking for a quick score. And the jars clean up with hot soapy water at the end of the burn so you can reuse them for canning.

My wife and I make our own candles. A 16oz Soy candle can burn between 80 and 100 hours. I'd be more than happy to sell some to preppers if that's allowed here. Otherwise, look into making them yourself with items found online. I was fortunate to have a place locally that I buy supplies from so there is no shipping on a 50lb box of wax which could be significant.

purehavoc 10-03-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode986 (Post 962985)
So far heres what I have
7 raman noodles

13lbs of rice
10 oz pinto beans
2 cans of beef stew
2 cans of chicken soup
1 can of beef pot roast
3 cans of peaches
1 can of sweet corn
1 can of beef ravioli
1 can of spaghetti o's
19 cans of tuna

Not a bad list to start off with but the stuff in red really contains little to no nutritional value so i would stay away from them . and the water in milk jugs ? you fill these or are they factory filled jugs because if you packed them dump them out and use the containers to store something else in like .22lr ammo. I would also add a few bottle of vitamins to your list , dried beans , dried pastas , canned hams last a long long time last time I checked we had one that had 2017 exp date on it . canned items are ok but they will get heaving to start packing out if you need to get out quickly . My wife has so much crap I cant even begin to tell you what we have . alot of it consists of pastas, canned hams, dried cereals . if you have access to canning equip or drying your own food , do it and vac it up and toss it in the freezer :) great start you have going there .

purehavoc 10-03-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 963067)
Soup pot, Toilet paper/paper towels might be handy as well in with the food items. Also, if you get out of town, some of those water treatment tablets (iodine i think) would be useful.

Iodine tablets have a short life span on them so be careful about that . I prefer to use bleach for your water and then filter it out .
Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification

2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water
8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water
1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water
If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.

Only use Regular Clorox Bleach (not Fresh Scent or Lemon Fresh). To insure that Clorox Bleach is at its full strength, rotate or replace your storage bottle minimally every three months.

in a emergency get to some Bleach one gal of bleach will make 3800 gal of good drinking water

First let water stand until particles settle. Filter the particles if necessary with layers of cloth, coffee filters, or fine paper towels. Pour the clear water into an uncontaminated container and add Regular Clorox Bleach per the below indicated ratio. Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat dose. Wait 15 min. Sniff again. Keep an eyedropper taped to your emergency bottle of Clorox Bleach, since purifying small amounts of water requires only a few drops. Bleach must be fresh for best use and results.

beastmode986 10-03-2012 09:16 PM

Ok , I'm getting a lot of suggestions. What do you guy think the next thing I should buy is? Not the next bunch of things just the next thing I should get.

purehavoc 10-03-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode986 (Post 963175)
Ok , I'm getting a lot of suggestions. What do you guy think the next thing I should buy is? Not the next bunch of things just the next thing I should get.

More rice , more dried beans , Oxygen absorbers and some plastic airtight sealed buckets to start putting that stuff in .