One Second After

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > One Second After

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default One Second After

I've looked to see if anything was already posted about it here, but nothing came up in search.

I just finished this book. It's one of the most plausible SHTF books I've read so far. It's about EMP hitting the Country and what transpires in a small Southern town.

It was a good read, realistic and kind of grim. But that's what made it realistic. I think many folks have some romanticized idea of what SHTF will be, but if it happens, it will be very much unlike the stereotypes and deadly to the extreme.

I definitely recommend this book.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've read this book as well. Great read and like all SHTF books it makes you think about what if. I agree with CA357 in that I think a lot of people do have a romanticized version in their head of what SHTF would be like. There are a few parts in the book that make you look at the situation and think "what would I do?" ....you'll be surprised by your answers I think.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've talked to a couple of people who have read it and they all recommended it. I need to pick it up and give it a try.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9573 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Another good read- War Day, by Streiber & Kunetka. 5 years after the 24 hr war between US and USSR. From 1984- pretty readable. Has some unusual angles I had not thought about.

For instance- we always think in terms of US/ USSR- well, what do you think the Canadians feel about all this? Brazil? What small town profession will become a major player in the public health system? And about that 401K....

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2026 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 4320

Scary read! I read it a few months ago! This book got me thinking, deep! Too many "What if thinking"! I told my wife, her comment was not to give her anymore reviews on any more books I read.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I know exactly what you mean.

I just do what I have to do and don't say much about it. I subscribe to the Jesuit philosophy that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 10-09-2010 at 07:17 AM.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

It is a good read -- definitely recommend it!

Also check out Lights Out and Civil War II. The former is akin to One Second After. The latter is an analysis of circumstances and what may happen. It was written many years ago and many predictions the author made have come to pass.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've got Civil War II, I'll have to check out Lights Out. Thanks for the tip.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Going to put this one and the others on my list......Now to find some time to read them!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hey bkt, who's the author of Lights Out? I found a ton of books with that title.