Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > One Second After

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default One Second After

Have any of you read this book, One Second After? If this topic has already been discussed, sorry, I am new.

I am reading this book and to me this would qualify as the SHTF scenario. I also thought of this forum when the Dad in the book is taking his guns out and what he is loading his shotgun with, i have read the same thing in the shotgun section many times. This is a very good book so far.

Here is some info on the book for those who may not have heard about it. This book really gets your mind wondering.
onesecondafter.com - Home

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I haven't read it but I know some people who have and from what they say I need to give it a look. I'll let you know in a few weeks....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #3

Liked 125 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 213

my buddy just gave me this book last week and i'm only about twenty pages in or so....feels like its going to be a quick read, meaning action packed, edge of seat type story...and interesting to say the very least.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 02-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #4

I see the book as being close to accurate in a similar situation or disaster. The first 24hrs help is on the way, 24-48hrs people begin to get more aggressive, 48-72hrs its everyone for themselves. I had an older gentleman (WWII era)tell me one time that you only have 24hrs to get to your bug out location and if the authorities want the public to locate to a specific location, for me to be very cautious of their motives. Some things just make sense if you think about them.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I read it a few weeks ago. Grim.

I did not like the trepidation of the main character who was supposed to be well schooled in EMP, but other than that it was very informative.

The recurring lesson of books like (The Road, Lucifer's Hammer, One Second After, etc...) this for me has always been...

1.) You can't have too much ammo.
2.) You can't have too much food/water.
3.) Cannibalism is only a few days away at any moment.
4.) You can't have too much ammo.
5.) Make sure you have plenty of socks, and good spare boots.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Sounds kind of like the ebook Lights Out. Grim, yes.

Iran is getting good at launching things really far and really high into the sky (or above it). And they're within 12 months of having nukes. Do the math.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #7

Great book. I read it a few months ago. If you liked that, try Without Warning by John Birmingham. What would happen if the US just "disappeared"? I highly recommend it!

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's not a bad book, but it is a little mild.

The EMP scenario really isn't too far fetched and it is (obviously) on some DHS folk's radars, even if they don't seem to be doing much to prevent it.