Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   One of My favorites ! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/one-my-favorites-83395/)

dango 02-05-2013 12:35 AM

One of My favorites !

Mountaineering above the "Timber-Line"..! :)

Well ,I love this because I usually have the whole mountain to myself , call me greedy ! :)

I could never get my friends out of the bars for a week or two , ain't gonna happen !:confused:
I had to make a choice a long time ago . Do I really want to do this , (even if I'm by myself ?):) I ain't talking "Resorts" , I'm talking "Wilds" .! :D Hoo Yaa..!
YES , I really want to do this..! :)
There are places North of Colorado that has "NEVER" melted.! What does this mean to the "mountaineer" ? It means you will never walk , only ski or snow shoe ! If you were to break through the "wind-pack" , you surely would drown in snow!10 ft. + easily !

Basics: Well you need a special type , good strong pare of of skis.
Not all skis are the same , you now carry your weight + what you carry and in my youth , that could be 100 + lbs. on three week extended trip.

Descending , or going down , obviously gravity (x) declination or Angle of Descent"(=) speed! You can not ,"snow-plow", with all that weight and nobody I ever met could. We just ain't born doing 40+MPH. with an extra 100 lbs. !
How you control your speed is by dragging your poles and cutting across the grain of descent . (NOT SHOOT THE GAP),, with all that weight , you must maintain speed and control or you are just a "projectile" !:D

Ascending or,"UP", and "On The Flat" ! They make all kinds of ,strap-on , clip-on.and stick-on devices for up and flat.
Back in the old days , we used seal skin ! If you ever noticed a seal can not swim "back-wards". That's because all the short hairs point to the rear or tail.
On skis , they allow you to ."shuffle forward" and won't slide backwards , great for going "up", or "flat".! Unlike snow-shoes , you never have to lift your feet,
just "shuffle " along.

All gear for "Mountaineering" is different than down hill skis. Your foot "MUST" pivot to go comfortably up and on the flats , you're talking days and miles here!

There is "WAY TOO" much going on here for one thread ,so's I will cover just the skiing part!

Inclination and what does that mean to the "Mountaineer" ?
Well , for one thing , it'll save your life !
Avalanches.! :eek:
(MY PERSONAL SKIERS RULE OF THUMB) Never mess with more than 37 Degrees of "inclination"..!Others say 32 , but they ain't ME ! You do not want to bring the mountain down upon you .!

How do we know "inclination" ? Well , you know they make a little gauge that tells you angle by looking through and angle with-in your vision.

There is way more , like how to set up a camp on 10+ snow ?
I'm gonna stop here and if any question or interests , I will gladly answer !

Stay safe and venture on you Dawgs ..! :D

PS; All the crazy stuff you see in videos is "AFTER" you set camp with your little sissy "day-pack" and not your heavy load,they don't show you this part! This is "REAL'..! ;)

HockaLouis 02-05-2013 02:54 AM

Is the "d" silent?

dango 02-05-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1124368)
Is the "d" silent?

SCREAM that D..........! :confused:

Really have no idea what you mean ! :confused:

I'll take that as a compliment , AND GO..no D , like go dango go..?

! ?

dango 02-05-2013 08:26 PM

WTF..! ain't yues even a little curious ? :confused:

dango 02-05-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1124368)
Is the "d" silent?

OK , got-cha ! :)

You must excuse me for I am tired , having problems with mother-in-law and am Polish to boot ! :D

AWGS...!

1-A , Alberta <--Thee Great "White North " !

2-W , Wilderness...!

3-G , Guide....!

4-S , Service...!

Pardon , took me a while on witch "D" to drop ? :confused:

Very subtle and a tad vague , you "AWG", ! :D

Also-BCWGS...! :p :D

dango 02-06-2013 04:27 AM

That is a , "little", thing I forgot to mention ! :o :)

How does one get ."to and back", from the fringes of said "Wilds" ?:)

1-Independent Wealth , your own Plane , Helli , etc. !

2-A W G S , foot , snow shoe , ski , horse , mule , plane , Helli. ,etc, !

3-B C W G S ,^...........^.........^.......^......^........^ etc...............!

Alberta....British Columbia , Provincial or independent Guide Services , or ,

WHAT CAN I AFFORD ? Don't Let the lack off money stop you , there is always a way ! DO YOU REALLY WANT TO..........!! :D

dango 02-06-2013 06:57 AM

New aproach..!

Hi , my name is dango! I'm sixty , just mended for two years after major skiing accident ! I've got many non-load bearing injuries with titanium and other components .

I am quite healthy and would really like to do some light adventuring !
I'm thinking of maybe two weeks tops.
Weather is variable; Highs 17-27 degrees and lows , minus 3 - 9 !
Snow conditions , variable at best and 18" - 28" deep !
Terrain: Old logging roads narrow path ways , very hilly , of the scale 1 - 10 !
On that scale by looking at (Topography) , might hit an 8 by that scale.
One-being flat mellow and ten-being steep and twisting (KAMIKAZE)! :eek:

In your humble opinions , what all do I need and WHY..everything ?

Thank you and one is NEVER TOO old to learn!

dango 02-06-2013 11:47 PM

Yaul know the situation I got myself into , now what ?

Also you have enough of the physical data needed to save my "Dumb" ASS .!:eek:

HELP...!:confused:

dango 02-07-2013 01:32 AM

It's been 3 hours now and I'm hungry , thirsty and my bodies starting to make some real bad choices ........! :eek:

HELP ME...! :eek:

dango 02-07-2013 02:13 AM

Well , I would love to eat some snow just to quench my thirst , Dang , gonna lose my toes and fingers and maybe part of my nose pretty darn soon !

Hypothermia ? Should I eat some snow or what ? :confused:

Confusion and denial with a tad anger are starting to get the upper hand ! Is this normal ? :confused: