ok, completed my apocalypse load, I think - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > ok, completed my apocalypse load, I think

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Hockalouis, have you ever fought off wild animals with a stick? Just wondering.:-))

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #22

What I would be looking at in the SHTF for the OP is the fact he plans on bugging out. All those guns and ammo for them will add difficulty to bugging out,especially with the family and over needed supplies and clothing. I would be looking at safe storage at the location you'd be headed to for a good portion of the weapons and ammo. Think about mobility and portability if bugging out.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #23
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2411 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
First of all I would advise that you do not get rid of a gun in one caliber to get one in another caliber. The wider range of firearms in various calibers you have available to you gives you the opportunity to use ammunition caches that might become available in a SHTF scenario. Personally I do not sell off firearms, but I will trade them off or sell them to replace an existing caliber. I even keep a Carcano in my collection just in case.

That having been said, for the guns that you shoot and train with regularly a thousand rounds in reserve is a good start.

For all of my guns I found that the different types of ammo perform very differently in my rifles. One rifle shoots the Winchester Power Points with great accuracy (1/2" at 50 yards) but with a different ammo it will shoot 6" "groups". With m Mini14 I have some factory ammo that will hit the dirt in front of the target where my handloads will have 3" groups at 100 yards. Unfortunately I have 2000 rounds of the dirt ammo. I am expending it to use the brass for reloads.

Some is good, more is better and too much is just right.
You could pull the bullets, dump the powder and reload.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11547

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You could pull the bullets, dump the powder and reload.
More fun and less tedious to send it downrange even if they are not accurate. Maybe I'll figure them out in the process. I have pulled my fair share of bullets and 2000 rounds doesn't sound like fun.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2411 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 694

H: you are missing the point. The OP has an AK, a shotgun and a 22 semi. I advised him to trade the semi for a bolt. Little or no money out of pocket. He can not afford to trade up to a 22mag or the extra cost of the ammo. He needs other supplies and needs to keep his cost down. I also advised against buying the Mosin as it is an extra expense of questionable value in relation to the other items he needs. He is in a position of having to bug out. He will need to store and rotate fuel to get where he needs to go. He needs to have enough fuel stored to make it to his destination. He has to believe there wont be fuel available on the road. The AK and shotgun will be his protection. The 22 is a small game rifle and nothing more. I would even recommend stocking up with standard velocity ammo for even less noise. There will be relatives with other weapons at his destination. If possible those other weapons need to be compatible in ammunition. He really need to find out who will bring what supplies and what is already stocked. Anything he brings with him adds to the pot.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Two cents. There are two weapons needed for the SHTF senario. An AR-15 and a good handgun. With all the other crap youre frantically trying to pack into whatever to go wherever, (and you'll have to at some point) a minimum of firearms with a variety of uses is key. The AR can serve as the long range (long enough) rifle and the 22lr rifle for small game with a conversion. That's an easy pick cause hunting small game is a planned event and swapping a bolt takes about 20 seconds. The hand gun is for close encounters, and as for whats best for stopping two legged predators? Its on at least 100 other threads, so I wont comment. Thats only three types of ammo with two firearms.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #27

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog
Two cents. There are two weapons needed for the SHTF senario. An AR-15 and a good handgun. With all the other crap youre frantically trying to pack into whatever to go wherever, (and you'll have to at some point) a minimum of firearms with a variety of uses is key. The AR can serve as the long range (long enough) rifle and the 22lr rifle for small game with a conversion. That's an easy pick cause hunting small game is a planned event and swapping a bolt takes about 20 seconds. The hand gun is for close encounters, and as for whats best for stopping two legged predators? Its on at least 100 other threads, so I wont comment. Thats only three types of ammo with two firearms.
Now that IS a good argument for the AR in a shtf situation,assuming the .22lr upper weighs less than a seperate gun. It would definitely take up less space in a pack though unless you go buy am ultra-lightweight minimalist purpose-made backpacking .22 but those tend to be pretty expensive

Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I would use a drop in conversion bolt for the AR. That, the mag and the ammo would take little more space than a full 22lr upper.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #29
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 855 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 4466

Cattledog's point of an AR and a handgun is really the best way to go. Also, it really depends on the SHTF situation. You won't be "bugging out" on foot when the situation involves a massive flood. Major earthquakes, and ground transpo will be useless (to a point).

Needing only 2 types of ammo is much better than needing several different kinds. Also, you want to rounds that are the most common, so they can be picked up anywhere.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 02-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #30
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think a good pump shotgun is an essential SHTF weapon. Perfect for close quarters defense, great way to take fowl, and tons of ammo choices.