ok, completed my apocalypse load, I think
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > ok, completed my apocalypse load, I think

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ok, completed my apocalypse load, I think

I now own a RIA 1911, a NEF 12g pump, and a romanian WASR-10. I realize I need to stockpile ammo. How many rnds? Also, I know that no amount of guns are "enough" guns...but, if the shtf tomorrow, will what I have suffice? I'm thinking I need a mosin nagant for longer range??? Any advice will be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The AK thing is already a big pistol. Trade it and the .45 in for an AR. Shotgun also a luxury at that point perhaps if accurate range is your priority. The shotgun with a polychoke and slugs/sabot will get you the same range as the AK. The AR fills many rolls reasonably well.

Then, one caliber to get. How much backup ammo? A few hundred shotgun and a coupla thousand rifle... I posted something here recently from a well participated poll I did with rifle and then shotgun ammo on hand. Probably a few score-plus pistol cartridges.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 02-15-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 337 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Going to need a .22 rifle. Handy for small animals and much quieter.

The ammo is going to depend on if your plan is to bugout or stay put. I am staying put and I am still buying ammo with 20,000 rounds in stock. I stock for 12/20 gauge, .30-06, .30-30, .223 and .22. 9mm & .45 ACP.

If you are bugging out on foot, then your ammo needs will only allow for a couple hundred rounds per gun.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I realized some time ago that it takes me too long to reload a magazine; i bought a few extras. I keep about ten loaded mags for my primary HD pistols and maybe a half dozen loaded mags for my SKS.

As far as ammo, i would like to have a thousand rounds for the HD stuff and a couple of boxes (550round boxes) of 22LR for other needs. I don't have as much 45acp as i need; i keep shooting it up on range days. I strongly believe a shotgun could be a valuable part of your SHTF supplies.

Don't forget some basic cleaning supplies in a pocket portable container (or wear lace-up boots).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

ditto on the 1000rd.s each. I'd would also say to get an AR-15 instead of the AK and maybe the shotgun. IMO. The cmmg 22lr conversion for the AR does make it into a decent 22rifle for all the small critter dinners too. In any case, you need a .22 rifle

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Yeah, minimum 1000rds per caliber. The .45 is great as a concealable weapon, but in a SHTF situation you may not need that. A handgun is what you use to fight your way to a long gun, after all.

The AK is reliable even if you mistreat it big-time, the AR is scary-accurate. Think "chainsaw vs. scalpel". Decide which is better for you.

Get a Remington 700 in .308 with decent optics for your reach-out-and-touch-someone rifle.

A good .22 is a must-have. A Ruger 10/22 won't set you back too much, you can make it look like whatever you want, and ammo is dirt cheap. Get a variety of ammo in quantity - regular LR, hypervelocity, and subsonic. An AR conversion kit is fine, but the cost of the kit is 2/3 the cost of a separate rifle. Personally, I'd go for the Ruger but you'll do OK with a kit.

If you think you might ever need to bug out, you need to prepare now to establish bug-out locations. Stash some of your ammo and other supplies there.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1505 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 3267

Ditto what bkt said.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I would not get rid of the ak like previous post suggest. The ak could serve you well in alot of scenerios. If nothing else it would make a very good cache gun. With loaded mags it is pretty much self contained with cleaning rod and supplies in the butt stock, if yours is so configured.

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #9

Thanks everyone, for the input. I do own a .22lr, older stevens semiauto with a scope, but forgot to mention it. That will of course be our tasty-freez gun. Unfortunately, though, the budget won't allow anything close to an ar, so I'll have to go "chainsaw" over scalpel. Looking into the nagant as a long range weapon, as I can get one for less than $100 right now. My intention is to bug outta the atlanta burbs and head to n. Ga mtns, where my grandparents have a house and land large enough for the entire family to live, farm, kill and eat. Everyone also armed better than me, too. I am having a hard time dealing with all this, as I waited until 40yrs old to see the need in considering the real possibility of a shtf situation. I also now have a wife and 3 young-uns I am having to ease into this as well. Pray for me, us, and each other...

Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #10

One more question from the old newbie...whats the differences in the hypervelocity and subsonic rounds, and (dumb questions, I know) will they all fire and cycle in 22lr stevens?