Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   ok, completed my apocalypse load, I think (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/ok-completed-my-apocalypse-load-i-think-57769/)

radams430 02-15-2012 11:59 AM

ok, completed my apocalypse load, I think

I now own a RIA 1911, a NEF 12g pump, and a romanian WASR-10. I realize I need to stockpile ammo. How many rnds? Also, I know that no amount of guns are "enough" guns...but, if the shtf tomorrow, will what I have suffice? I'm thinking I need a mosin nagant for longer range??? Any advice will be appreciated.

HockaLouis 02-15-2012 12:06 PM

The AK thing is already a big pistol. Trade it and the .45 in for an AR. Shotgun also a luxury at that point perhaps if accurate range is your priority. The shotgun with a polychoke and slugs/sabot will get you the same range as the AK. The AR fills many rolls reasonably well.

Then, one caliber to get. How much backup ammo? A few hundred shotgun and a coupla thousand rifle... I posted something here recently from a well participated poll I did with rifle and then shotgun ammo on hand. Probably a few score-plus pistol cartridges.

aandabooks 02-15-2012 09:58 PM

Going to need a .22 rifle. Handy for small animals and much quieter.

The ammo is going to depend on if your plan is to bugout or stay put. I am staying put and I am still buying ammo with 20,000 rounds in stock. I stock for 12/20 gauge, .30-06, .30-30, .223 and .22. 9mm & .45 ACP.

If you are bugging out on foot, then your ammo needs will only allow for a couple hundred rounds per gun.

orangello 02-15-2012 10:05 PM

I realized some time ago that it takes me too long to reload a magazine; i bought a few extras. I keep about ten loaded mags for my primary HD pistols and maybe a half dozen loaded mags for my SKS.

As far as ammo, i would like to have a thousand rounds for the HD stuff and a couple of boxes (550round boxes) of 22LR for other needs. I don't have as much 45acp as i need; i keep shooting it up on range days. I strongly believe a shotgun could be a valuable part of your SHTF supplies.

Don't forget some basic cleaning supplies in a pocket portable container (or wear lace-up boots).

Cattledog 02-15-2012 10:17 PM

ditto on the 1000rd.s each. I'd would also say to get an AR-15 instead of the AK and maybe the shotgun. IMO. The cmmg 22lr conversion for the AR does make it into a decent 22rifle for all the small critter dinners too. In any case, you need a .22 rifle

bkt 02-15-2012 11:00 PM

Yeah, minimum 1000rds per caliber. The .45 is great as a concealable weapon, but in a SHTF situation you may not need that. A handgun is what you use to fight your way to a long gun, after all. :)

The AK is reliable even if you mistreat it big-time, the AR is scary-accurate. Think "chainsaw vs. scalpel". Decide which is better for you.

Get a Remington 700 in .308 with decent optics for your reach-out-and-touch-someone rifle.

A good .22 is a must-have. A Ruger 10/22 won't set you back too much, you can make it look like whatever you want, and ammo is dirt cheap. Get a variety of ammo in quantity - regular LR, hypervelocity, and subsonic. An AR conversion kit is fine, but the cost of the kit is 2/3 the cost of a separate rifle. Personally, I'd go for the Ruger but you'll do OK with a kit.

If you think you might ever need to bug out, you need to prepare now to establish bug-out locations. Stash some of your ammo and other supplies there.

TLuker 02-15-2012 11:55 PM

Ditto what bkt said.

downsouth 02-15-2012 11:58 PM

I would not get rid of the ak like previous post suggest. The ak could serve you well in alot of scenerios. If nothing else it would make a very good cache gun. With loaded mags it is pretty much self contained with cleaning rod and supplies in the butt stock, if yours is so configured.

radams430 02-16-2012 08:12 AM

Thanks everyone, for the input. I do own a .22lr, older stevens semiauto with a scope, but forgot to mention it. That will of course be our tasty-freez gun. Unfortunately, though, the budget won't allow anything close to an ar, so I'll have to go "chainsaw" over scalpel. Looking into the nagant as a long range weapon, as I can get one for less than $100 right now. My intention is to bug outta the atlanta burbs and head to n. Ga mtns, where my grandparents have a house and land large enough for the entire family to live, farm, kill and eat. Everyone also armed better than me, too. I am having a hard time dealing with all this, as I waited until 40yrs old to see the need in considering the real possibility of a shtf situation. I also now have a wife and 3 young-uns I am having to ease into this as well. Pray for me, us, and each other...

radams430 02-16-2012 08:15 AM

One more question from the old newbie...whats the differences in the hypervelocity and subsonic rounds, and (dumb questions, I know) will they all fire and cycle in 22lr stevens?