Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Is now a good tine to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Is now a good tine to buy

I'm thinks about buying silver but I don't know much about it. In the economy in its present state I don't know if Ill be paying more now than it will be worth later. Any advise? Also I have a a good bit of old silver flatware and cups forks ect. What's the best way to find a value on those items?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I metal detect and coin hunt as another hobby. Part of it is silver. A few years ago would have been better to buy buy right now is as good as any. Silver will go up and down but the experts believe it will go way up in the next few years. I say go for it. I buy when I can.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #3

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

buy ammo

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

bassho Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

^^^
Ammo and silver. In like a 70/30 proportion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8384 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Dude! If I knew for certain which way something like that was moving, and when, I would not be telling you- I would be BUYING! Markets change, and none of us have a crystal ball that works worth a hoot (I blame digital TV)

3-4 years ago would have been better- but now is not an especially bad time either. Do not think of this as an investment- more like preservation. Rather than bullion, I happen to like US pre 64 coins- 90% silver, and recognized for what they are. Not extremely rare coins, just run of the mill coins. What are they worth? For the metal content, go here: http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

Flatware, etc if marked STERLING (not electroplate or filled) is 92.5% silver. Deduct weight of steel parts (knife blades) Remember precious metals are measured in TROY ounces. Or just weigh them in grams.

Value of silver (and gold) may go up or down. It does not go to zero. I do have small amounts of silver coinage in the safe. World turns to ca-ca, may be using for trade. World NOT turn to ca-ca, grandkids will enjoy them some day.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #6

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Buying low and selling high are never guaranteed -- the OP's question cannot reasonably be answered. Sorry. Either way I would expect not to make mon ey on precious metals. Think of it as insurance and you pay for that. Maybe by selling it back for less if and when things ever pick up and it goes down again, like when you cash out.

Examples: "Gee I'm happy I bought $10,000 worth of silver and it went to $100,000 after the UN invaded Peoria and we had to live on it for a year." Gee I'm glad I bought $10,000 worth of silver and sold it back 5 years later for $8,000 -- best insurance I ever bought for a UN invasion of Peoria."

un-troops-entering-peoria.jpg  

Old 08-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 240

I get my silver for free.......

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

If you don't already have a store of food, water, water purification, various consumables, medicines, firearms and ammo, get those first.

Buying precious metals is a store of wealth. Yes, now is a good time to buy silver and if you can do it, I recommend it. The reason to do it is as a hedge against the buying power of the dollar falling significantly fairly quickly. If the new currency that emerges is called the "gronk", you may only get 1 gronk per ounce of silver, but 1 unit of that new currency is worth as much as silver is, per ounce, right now. So you can't really lose.

Silver and other metals keep their value relative to the value of other commodities (like food) pretty darn well.

It's always a good time to exchange Federal Reserve Notes for real money.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Buying low and selling high are never guaranteed -- the OP's question cannot reasonably be answered. Sorry. Either way I would expect not to make mon ey on precious metals. Think of it as insurance and you pay for that. Maybe by selling it back for less if and when things ever pick up and it goes down again, like when you cash out.

Examples: "Gee I'm happy I bought $10,000 worth of silver and it went to $100,000 after the UN invaded Peoria and we had to live on it for a year." Gee I'm glad I bought $10,000 worth of silver and sold it back 5 years later for $8,000 -- best insurance I ever bought for a UN invasion of Peoria."
You don't understand that buying PM is a hedge against the value of the currency falling. It isn't about investing at all. It's about storing your wealth securely.

I don't want dollars. I hate dollars. Dollars suck. They mean nothing. They mean less than nothing; they are a representation of debt. I'd like to get rid of all my dollars and exchange them for things that hold their value. I'd be a jackass to buy 1000 ounces of silver at $29/ounce today and then sell when the price reached $1,000,000/ounce. Why? Because the only thing that has changed is the value of the currency, not the quantity, purity or value of the metal.

If silver falls to $1 per ounce, that would be extremely good news for the dollar and I'd welcome it!

Old 08-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #10

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

BKT, I think u miss my point -- I'm saying the same thing you are. Only difference is I recognize the specie, the medium of exchange, the currency, won't change/go away, only its relative purchasing power. Eventually you HAVE to sell some of your dollar-appreciated silver to buy other stuff like food -- chances are you'll exchange it for dollars which you'll in turn exchange for victuals.

In fact, I'd short Gronks if Alex Jones has someone on pushing them and they appeared for sale on The Daily Paul...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 08-03-2012 at 02:21 AM.