Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Non-Lethal Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

He's in New England.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
...this is coming from a survivor (NOT winner) of justified deadly force.
Ditto.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #23

Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You're defeating your whole purpose of using non-lethal when you use something that permanently damages someone. Why can't you pack a firearm?

Using ammonia is akin to throwing acid in someone's face. If I'm ever in that situation again, being directly threatened with deadly force means responding with deadly force. The BEST defense is recognizing the possible threat & avoiding it-SITUATIONAL AWARENESS is the best defense of all. Also think how hard it would be to defend yourself later legally when packing something ahead of time that will cause deliberate permanent damage like that instead of using non-lethal devices. In my book, lethal threat=lethal force-this is coming from a survivor (NOT winner) of justified deadly force.
I'm not 21, so I can't carry a concealed weapon legally. And for the record, I have never sprayed anyone with ammonia, and I'm sorry if its a stupid idea. Situational awareness is very useful, because I usually don't have a thing of ammonia ready to throw at someone. Thankfully using deadly force hasn't been an issue with me yet. Just scratch that I ever mentioned the idea.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:06 AM   #24

If you think you need a less lethal alternative, ESPECIALLY a chemical irritant, make sure it's something commercially available and manufactured for the purpose of self defense. Hell, a little lye in the face sure would do the trick, but the lawsuit would be one helluva ride. Chemical irritants, in my opinion, are not a good choice for personal defense. I've "sprayed" dozens of people in the course of my duties, but not someone who's an active aggressor. At that point, it's time to move to the next level. Someone who's super pissed, or drunk, or determined, can fight through the effects of pepper spray. Once they get ahold of you, they don't need to see to cause major damage.

When it comes to personal safety, I think the comments about situational awareness are right on. Unless you put yourself in harms way by whatever circumstance I.E. bar room fight, dark alley, spending time with a married woman, etc., you can avoid most situations that would require any type of weapon. A firearm is the ultimate defense weapon, but only if you are threatened with deadly force. It will kill someone, or cause serious bodily injury, as it should if someone is trying to do the same to you. That's it's purpose. You shouldn't carry one to scare away an attacker. If it has that effect, great, but deadly force should be justified before a gun even sees the light of day, or streetlight.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-27-2009, 05:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
... You shouldn't carry one to scare away an attacker. If it has that effect, great, but deadly force should be justified before a gun even sees the light of day, or streetlight.
Dude, you're my hero. I want to be just like you when I grow up.

++10

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
You shouldn't carry one to scare away an attacker. If it has that effect, great, but deadly force should be justified before a gun even sees the light of day, or streetlight.
Well said. Drawing a gun for show signifies that you barely know what you are doing, and are more likely to get that weapon put onto you.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #27

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Ready for a caneism?

Non-Lethal Weapon translation = A slightly slower, albeit reliable form of suicide.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #28

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepcreep927
... "You shouldn't carry one to scare away an attacker. If it has that effect, great, but deadly force should be justified before a gun even sees the light of day, or streetlight."

++ Infinity, I could not said it any better myself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”