No money for preps...what do you do? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > No money for preps...what do you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1118 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 239

SWMBO is a master at value shopping. She's turned toothpaste buying into an art, where they pay her to take it out of the store. Double coupons, .50 suddenly become 1.00 off. Uses them when they have 10 for 10 with the 11th one free.

Buy rice, sugar, flour at Sam's club or Costco. Variety of ways you can store those, I've settled on canning jars with O2 absorbers.

Learn to can! Buy locally grown veggies when they are at their peak, and can them. We have enough veggies for an entire year. The real risk of only having one years worth, is what happened in MI this year, we lost our entire fruit crop. My biggest shortage is in Cherries. It was our first year doing cherries, so we were a bit limited on how many we put up. That will change next year

Find a locally raised source for beef, pork, and poultry. We cut our meat cost in half, and have a superior quality product.

When grocery shopping, only buy the stuff you need, and only buy it on sale.

Save your chicken bones, and when you have about four, put them in a pot with some water and let it simmer for 36-48 hours. Best and healthiest broth you'll ever taste.

Left over turkey, strip the meat off the bones, make a broth from the carcass, add the turkey and frozen veggies to canning jars, and pressure can. It is the best turkey soup you have ever tasted!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #32

Liked 2607 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

There's so much more to prepping than just buying stuff.

Spend this time planning. Do you want to bug out, or stay put?

What are the alternate travel routes? What if you have to walk there?

How do you plan on sealing up the new living area? This is a great

opportunity to consider the Ws...

Old 11-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #33

Liked 1662 Times on 991 Posts
Likes Given: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
You can do a ton for free! You obviously have Internet, so knowledge can be the most valuable prep!
Online you can learn

medicine,
Gunsmithing,
Auto repair,
Wild edible plants,
Trapping animals
Skinning and tanning hides
Butchering....

The knowledge is endless. Pick a skill you like that could prove invaluable, and master it.

They can always take your physical preps, but knowledge can save you.

I remember reading a first hand account by a survivor of Bosnia, and remember him saying that someone in town had a secret recipe he knew for making lamp oil. He did pretty good because people always went to him to barter for more lamp oil.
Mosin, you and I rarely agree on anything, but you hit this "spot-on" I was going to post pretty much the same thing. The mental preperations are more important then the physical ones.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #34

Liked 4617 Times on 2299 Posts
Likes Given: 1068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

Mosin, you and I rarely agree on anything, but you hit this "spot-on" I was going to post pretty much the same thing. The mental preperations are more important then the physical ones.
You'd be surprised. I agree with you on a lot. I just don't like Obama. ;D

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #35

There are many types of detectors in the market, so it is really hard to make a decision which one to buy and whee to buy. I searched the internet for a long time and then I bought a gold metal detector, which is really helpful. And when I do metal detecting outside it can really distinguish what kind of the metal that it has detected and give an indication for me. And by using such kind of device I have saved a lot of time and energy. In a word, I love the gold metal detector and have confidence in it.