No money for preps...what do you do? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > No money for preps...what do you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1304 Times on 848 Posts
Likes Given: 2739

My idea of prepping is probably completely backwards but the whole point for me is to not spend any money. I feel like if I have to go to the store then I'm doing something wrong. Of course I spend money but my goal is to spend none.

I looked at the vegetables I bought the most and those were the ones I planted first in the garden. I'm not canning yet but I don't buy any vegetables in the summer (haven't for years) and I will definitely be canning this coming year. I won't be buying any vegetables after I start canning.

I've got three deer in the freezer and I'll have a few hogs in early spring. Throw in some rabbits and a few other various critters from hunting/fishing/trapping and that'll be 95% of my meats. I've already got the guns so all that meat costs is gas, processing for the large game, and bullets. I reload and have enough bullets to last for a really long time. I was hoping to be setup for processing my own meat this year but didn't quite make it, but I will be by next October. My meats will cost nothing but gas after that, and I don't have to drive far.

A couple of weeks ago I planted fig trees, blueberry bushes, butter nut trees, and walnut trees. I've already got other fruit and nut trees along with access to many more. Eventually I'll have 95% of all my fruits and nuts taken care of and they don't cost anything.

It does take some money up front for some of this, but most only requires effort and a little time.

For me prepping isn't about spending money. It is about not having to rely on anyone or anything but yourself, which is the opposite of spending money. Storing food is great and there is a lot more I want to do in that area, but I also want to be better at producing that food.

My advice on what preps is to acquire would be a planters hoe and seeds. Figure up what you spend each week on vegetables and then at the end of this coming summer figure what you've saved by growing your own and put that towards eliminating another expense.

I do agree with HockaLouis that a lot of this would be tough if things ever fell apart, but it's here now.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #22

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I live on the coast in SE Florida And needless to say I stay prepared. I have at least three months supply of MRE's and the same for canned meats dry goods such as pasta, rice, dried beans etc. I also have a sufficient supply of medical supplies, bottled water, propane gas, gasoline and one field stove and oven. Word of caution; watch the shelf life of your supplies., rotate your water and gasoline. I also have a bug out bag for each member of the family and bug out plan just in case with have to vacate the area. Yes, I am well stocked with weapons and ammo.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #23

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Tluker, u r well ahead of everyone in being self sufficient. And in a relatively unique position (vs. the average of 300,000,000 Americans). We could all do what u do to one extent or another in the best of times. But even you couldn't in the worst.

I am glad u recognize that your situation would likely change immediately in a SHTF scenario.

Folks, the ability to be independent is a key element of preparing. But don't lose sight of the fact that the theater, the environment you are operating in, the situation itself dictates much. Expect it won't be business as usual. Note you may be competing for very, very, scarce resources with people who panic easily (see the gas rationing in New Jersy and New York) and abandon their sense of humanity so quickly.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1304 Times on 848 Posts
Likes Given: 2739

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Tluker, u r well ahead of everyone in being self sufficient. And in a relatively unique position (vs. the average of 300,000,000 Americans). We could all do what u do to one extent or another in the best of times. But even you couldn't in the worst.

I am glad u recognize that your situation would likely change immediately in a SHTF scenario.

Folks, the ability to be independent is a key element of preparing. But don't lose sight of the fact that the theater, the environment you are operating in, the situation itself dictates much. Expect it won't be business as usual. Note you may be competing for very, very, scarce resources with people who panic easily (see the gas rationing in New Jersy and New York) and abandon their sense of humanity so quickly.

There were no deer or any other large game in the first half of the 20th century in my region. Everyone hunted small game before the 1960's because the big game had been completely wiped out by about 1900 (disease and hunting), and there wasn't much left of the small game. I have no doubt that if SHTF we would quickly return to that because the population of people is so much larger now. So I do not believe that hunting would be a long term strategy if society really fell apart, but I do believe agriculture would be.

There was no large game here before the 60's but most still scraped out a living by farming, or some combination off working a job and farming. It was a tough life but that's just the way it was. Most (not all) of my preps aren't so much for a sudden catastrophic collapse but rather a slow economic decline. As the economy gets worse more of us will be hurting financially. What I'm trying to do by getting to the point of spending no money is to put myself in a position to where I'm not nearly as affected by our economic decline. Just because production stops in my factory doesn't mean it has to stop in my backyard.

My grandparents never knew there was a great depression because they were already poor farmers. I'm trying to return to that way of living, but without being dirt poor. They never spent much money because they didn't have any to spend. I'm hoping to make that a much more comfortable way of life now while I do have a little to spend. I also suspect that a great many of us will soon return to that way of living whether we want to or not?

There could be a potential economic collapse at anytime. If so, I'm somewhat prepared for that. Farming would be more important than ever then if you can protect your crops, hold out till harvest, and store enough of that harvest. That sudden economic collapse is possible, but the slow gradual decline seems almost certain. Most of us are one major illness or layoff away from bankruptcy right now. I don't like being in that position.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #25

Liked 1035 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

What about scrounging firewood? It could keep you warm, or you could sell/trade/barter it.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #26

Liked 216 Times on 162 Posts

Metal drums for storage, and load up on things like salt, sugar, flour, and coffee. These are things that could be worth more than gold. Also check out the grocery store for the cured ham and bacon that is vacuumed sealed and doesn't have to be refrigerated. Cans of lard.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

one of the things overlooked that costs nothing is training yourself to make fire without matches or lighters or such. work on making primitive weapons from materials in your area like bows atlatl slings and learning to use them effectively as small game getters.

then there is learning what is edible in your area and whats poisonous. poisonous items have their uses as well in survival...

learning to cook without pots pans dishes over open flames. its NOT The same as using a bbq pit or gas grill

learn how to make charcoal

learn to sew with needle and thread

learn how to make rope. not as easy as you think.

learn how to tan hides the natural way. something called brain tanning. this can be done in conjunction with fire building and primitive weapon hunting.

learn how to purify water with charcoal you made

learn to make charcloth which can be used to make primitive firestarting easier.

learn how to knap stone into arrowheads spearheads axes and knives

i could proly think of a lot more. prepping isnt just about gathering firearms and food.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Vincine Likes This 
Old 11-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #28

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

If you are on this site you have guns. A resident hunting license costs little and you can freeze/can/jerk all the meat(and do it yourself). Large game you can butcher yourself(even if you never did it before). Worse case is some of your cuts of meat might look odd(so what). If it has fur or feathers or fins you can eat it. Go to the sister site to this one(they have tons of info on just what you are asking about) (think you are the only poor person thats concerned about the future?).
www.preparedsociety.com

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #29

Liked 1035 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Quote:
why not quit spending all the money, hmm? rent and utilities are not necessities, you know. neither is a car.

???

Old 11-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #30

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

learning to cook without pots pans dishes over open flames. its NOT The same as using a bbq pit or gas grill

learn how to make charcoal

learn to sew with needle and thread

learn how to make rope. not as easy as you think.

learn how to tan hides the natural way. something called brain tanning. this can be done in conjunction with fire building and primitive weapon hunting.

learn how to purify water with charcoal you made

learn to make charcloth which can be used to make primitive firestarting easier.

learn how to knap stone into arrowheads spearheads axes and knives
Key word in JonM's post? Learning. And it's free usually.

Great links at TACDA Academy. pdf links on the right of that page. I printed all those and made my own book with a binder from Staples.

You can download both of the LDS Preparedness Manuals.

Tons of quality links are on the nets.