No money for preps...what do you do? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > No money for preps...what do you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7312 Times on 4398 Posts
Likes Given: 8968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The only problem is that then I would have a whole pallet of ramen and I would be sick of it after 1 box.

(edit) but maybe I could trade it for ammo!

(edit#2) One second thought I have waayy more ammo than I need, plus reloading supplies. Maybe I could trade it for something else?
If you were hungry enough you'd eat Ramen noodles three times a day. We're talking survival in this thread.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Beans and rice have long been the staple diet in many 3rd world countries. It will keep you alive but you will need supplements like vegetables. Chile con carne can be made with any chopped meat. Ramen is a waste of money. It is not healthy. Keep spices on hand to tune up simple fare.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9139 Times on 3947 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Besides food, go thrift shopping. It is amazing the things that turn up there for a dollar or two. Yard sales, garage sales, Goodwill, Salvation Army, flea markets- can all be good CHEAP sources of stuff.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #14

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I am not a prepper but just our normal shopping habits of buying stuff on sale keeps our pantry loaded. We easily have a 2 month supply of canned goods. We buy large bags of beans and store them in mason jars. I am a fair fisherman, hunter and trapper. I can keep us in meat with not much more than a shoe lace.

In a SHTF situation finding a place to hide and keep our stuff would be more difficult than finding food. We certainly can't stay here and be raided by our neighbors or the military.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #15

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1824

I only suggested ramen because its cheap and filling. The idea is not to live on your preps alone. Hunting, fishing, and growing a garden are common sense for survival.
Bottom line is that ramen and sauerkraut will almost keep forever. Not saying they are the only things you need, it's just good to have them.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #16

Liked 1777 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 1353

The three sisters; corn, beans & squash. The beans use the corn for support. If you plant zucchini, you better like it. That stuff grows like a weed. Buy fruits & vetables in season when they're abundant & cheap, and can them. (Why it's still call canning even though it's all done with jars, I don't know.) Both the corn & beans can be dried, and the corn can be ground for meal.

Last edited by Vincine; 11-19-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #17

Liked 4133 Times on 2023 Posts
Likes Given: 800

You can do a ton for free! You obviously have Internet, so knowledge can be the most valuable prep!
Online you can learn

medicine,
Gunsmithing,
Auto repair,
Wild edible plants,
Trapping animals
Skinning and tanning hides
Butchering....

The knowledge is endless. Pick a skill you like that could prove invaluable, and master it.

They can always take your physical preps, but knowledge can save you.

I remember reading a first hand account by a survivor of Bosnia, and remember him saying that someone in town had a secret recipe he knew for making lamp oil. He did pretty good because people always went to him to barter for more lamp oil.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This 
Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Chickens are a cheap date foodwise & can provide eggs or nuggets.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #19

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Sorry, but I don't cotton to the hunting, fishing, farming stuff. I luv the idiots who think a .22 LR and suicidal squirrels are what they'll survive with in an apocalypse. In just any real emergency none of that is going to be non-competitive, sufficient, last long, or produce meaningful results fast enough. Yeah, I have my seed vaults in the fridge too, right next to my security blanket. And isn't it cheaper and safer to buy canned vegetables now than can vegetables? Of course it is. You going to put them up AFTER armageddon maybe? And how much Purina Chicken Chow will you be needing?

Last edited by HockaLouis; 11-20-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 688

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Sorry, but I don't cotton to the hunting, fishing, farming stuff. I luv the idiots who think a .22 LR and suicidal squirrels are what they'll survive with in an apocalypse. In just any real emergency none of that is going to be non-competitive, sufficient, last long, or produce meaningful results fast enough. Yeah, I have my seed vaults in the fridge too, right next to my security blanket. And isn't it cheaper and safer to buy canned vegetables now than can vegetables? Of course it is. You going to put them up AFTER armageddon maybe? And how much Purina Chicken Chow will you be needing?
how much does it cost you to go to a field after its harvested and pick as much as you?.. simply the gas to get there. as long as you call and ask most farmers dont care as long as you go in after the machines and take what you can find. my dad and i used to do it all the time.. at that poin tits like anything else. buy the canner, and jars once. and you can have a ton of veggies, soups, and whatever else you can find or make. and it lasts longer than freezing and keeps even if the power goes out.

my mom canned, my uncle cans. i want to start soon.. just things arent going in that direction quite yet.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.