No money for preps...what do you do?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > No money for preps...what do you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default No money for preps...what do you do?

Last year, my business did well, so at the end of the year, we put aside all that we would need for taxes and had a tidy sum leftover so we invested it all in prepping. This year, there's nothing. In fact, I don't exactly know how I'll make taxes, but that's a ways off so I'll figure it out. But having no money for further preps is killing me.

What are suggestions on acquiring preps that don't cost very much, if anything? Don't get me wrong, I'm not delusional. I know you can't do much, but I was just wondering if there are simple things that can be done with no real money, but may be overlooked in their importance. You know, like getting a large container of Vaseline for storage, as a fire starter aid.

Plus, this might help new prepper-wannabe's who may be intimidated by the thousands upon thousands of dollars spent by some fortunate individuals.

12FRETTER

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

We don't have a lot of expendible income for preps so when we go to the store, we'll buy canned goods on sale and buy 1-2 extra. There are some that put $5.00 a week towards preps and end up with a large supply. You don't have to spend all your money at one time. Do a little every week and given time, you'll do ok.

The Second Amendment makes all the others possible.

People Like This 
Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #3

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Well, bang for the buck includes KNOWING calories and nutrition as well as prices for things on and off sale*. Real meat and wheat are probably the most expensive way of getting your required carbs, proteins and fats. Try cases of TVP (soy) with quantity discounts and dried beans as well as 20+ pound bags of parboiled rice with Olive Oil all on sale (grab it around Thanksgiving sales -- freezedried family size potato flakes too!) instead to a large extent (though not entirely).

That's just an example...

*That rice can cost $7 on sale or $17. Same for 3-liter can of oil! Honeyville Grain sells their mixed TVP cheap, has quantity discounts and low shipping and has sales quarterly or so where bulk purchase is the rule of the day (try 4 cases at a time when they have a sale).

Old 11-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8512 Times on 4927 Posts
Likes Given: 11062

I hardly spend anything at all on prepping. Most of the stuff I have is found, traded, built or repurposed stuff. I always build my gardens bigger every year and that costs some, what with wire mesh and wood for the raised beds, but I figure the bigger I build then the less food I will have to buy in the future even if nothing catastrophic happens. The other ideas about picking up extra canned food is an excellent idea, also get some big bags of rice and beans I guess if that is what you want. My point is that you can do a lot of this stuff that is not glamorous or flashy but it gets the job done for cheap or free.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #5

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1848

Canned foods, freezes dried potatoes, and rice are probably one of the best ways to go for cheap prepping.

For extreme long term I like sourkrout (or however you spell it) and ramen noodles. They both last almost forever, I like putting the ramen in sealable containers.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Canned foods, freezes dried potatoes, and rice are probably one of the best ways to go for cheap prepping.

For extreme long term I like sourkrout (or however you spell it) and ramen noodles. They both last almost forever, I like putting the ramen in sealable containers.
You could buy a pallet of ramen in no time at all for next to nothing too!

Old 11-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #7

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

You could buy a pallet of ramen in no time at all for next to nothing too!
Exactly!!!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Exactly!!!!!
The only problem is that then I would have a whole pallet of ramen and I would be sick of it after 1 box.

(edit) but maybe I could trade it for ammo!

(edit#2) One second thought I have waayy more ammo than I need, plus reloading supplies. Maybe I could trade it for something else?

Last edited by Vikingdad; 11-19-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #9

Liked 1912 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

We simply keep a well stocked pantry. I always have ammo because I reload. I am a hunter and camper so that stuff goes a long wat toward being prepared for natural or man made disasters. My wife likes bottled water. So we always have 2 or 3 of those 5 gallon bottles full. It is also good to keep a gas can full too.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #10

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Oh boy.

To survive you fellas really need to do some grammar school level nutrition study.

To have stuff you have to buy stuff which requires investment. Period. The best you can do is measure what you need twice and spend once, get the best bang for the buck, as well as time it right.

If you think u are gonna live on, or in the limited space left from, enough Ramen noodles to survive with sauerkraut on top you are delusional and better not have high blood pressure to start (but you will).