Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > No Impact Man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Default No Impact Man

I recently watched a documentary called No Impact Man where a guy and his family were trying to have no environmental impact for a year while living in N.Y. city, and I thought it was pretty interesting. He was admittedly doing it it in part to promote the book he would write from it, but also just to see what it would it would be like living a very minimalist life style. They tried to have zero waste and zero emissions. They used bikes for transportation and walked up stairs rather than use elevators. They even cut the power to their apartment and didn't use toilet paper. Part of it like the toilet paper was over kill but over all it was pretty interesting and the one thing that really struck me about the whole thing was how many of our goals are very similar across different economic and political ideologies.

Those people, their friends, and their future customers for the book were extreme liberals but a lot of what they were doing fits in with prepping and being more self sufficient. For example they tried the clay pot in water using evaporation to keep food cooler because they didn't have electricity (didn't work that great). They also experimented with gardening (urban gardening). And they only bought food from local farmers and even touched on the organic label thing, which isn't necessarily a prepping thing but on a personally level it is really nice knowing where your food comes from and what's in it.

I've personally been on a self sufficiency kick for a awhile now. I don't plan on trying to ever be completely self sufficient but I do want to be much more self sufficient than I currently am, and I liked the way they approached some of this. I have very different goals and reasons for trying to be more self sufficient than they had but there was a lot of cross over. They wanted no impact and zero waste for the "environment" and I want to be more self sufficient in order to improve my quality of life, but the two aren't mutually exclusive.

It was an interesting documentary and would be worth watching if anyone gets a chance to see it. I don't think you'll get much from it in terms of prepping info but it was thought provoking in regards to how much of this ties in together.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #2

Liked 2229 Times on 1004 Posts
Likes Given: 2167

A new study out of Stanford University compared organic fruits and vegetables with their conventionally grown counter parts for nutrients. They found that the expensive, organic goods were no more nutritious than their lowly conventional brothers and sisters. The same researchers came to the same conclusion about meats - no obvious health advantages.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
A new study out of Stanford University compared organic fruits and vegetables with their conventionally grown counter parts for nutrients. They found that the expensive, organic goods were no more nutritious than their lowly conventional brothers and sisters. The same researchers came to the same conclusion about meats - no obvious health advantages.
Yes, but did anyone do a survey to see what those researchers ate personally? I would be really curious as to the results of that survey.

As I mentioned in this post, and many others, I've been on a self sufficiency kick for sometime now. The biggest reason for that is to improve my quality of living. I've absolutely been amazed at all of the things I've learned over the last few years since I got on this kick, and one of those things applies here.

I got interested in apples a few months back because I wanted to put out fruit trees. I had no idea that there was so much to a simple apple. At one time there were over 16,000 varieties of apples. Today there far fewer people growing apple trees and most have been lost but there are still over 3,000 varieties of apples. I had no idea there were so many because the majority of what I see are the 5 or 6 types in the grocery store. I also learned that there are many different tastes to all of those apples. For example some have a cinnamon flavor. An apple popular in the 1700's has a pineapple flavor.

One thing that became clear to me after learning all that is grocery stores don't carry produce based on what is the best tasting or healthiest. They choose the produce they carry based on economics just like large farms choose which crops to plant based on economics. They choose varieties that ship well, don't bruise easy, will ripen slowly while in transit, are resistant to insects, and so on. I'm not faulting them for that or accusing them of being evil or any of that stuff. They are running a business and they have to make business decisions. But the qualities that make for the best produce to grow in Guatemala and then ship to the grocery store are not the qualities that will make that produce the best to me. Again, they aren't choosing varieties based on what is the best tasting or healthiest and that's because they have too many other factors to also consider.

Local farms have economic decisions to consider as well but transit isn't one of them if it is sold locally. By buying local I get produce that is picked closer to being ripe and so I get produce that tastes better. The more local the better with the best being my backyard. There is no produce anywhere that is better than what is in my backyard, and it is selected solely based on taste (and my taste at that).

I also have to believe that some nutrients are lost during transit but I have no idea how many or if it is even enough to be of any significance? Regardless, I'm certain that nothing from the grocery store is going to be quite as healthy as something that is picked when ripe and consumed then.

As for the organic thing, normal produce may not be any healthier but I sure do feel better eating something that I know was grown in a more natural manner and without all of the chemicals.

I don't doubt the study you cited but I still prefer locally grown and organic just from a quality of living standpoint. If I eat something that tastes much better and is healthier (even if only slightly) then I have improved my quality living, and that's what this is about for me.

Thanks for posting the info though. It is interesting to know.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #4

I like the stuff I grow too. I only use manure that's been composted well. Grass clippings are a good source of nitrogen. I think I'll keep using toilet paper though.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #5

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post

Yes, but did anyone do a survey to see what those researchers ate personally? I would be really curious as to the results of that survey.
Monsanto's company cafeterias are stocked only with organic foods. No GMOs allowed.

Should tell us all something.

On the toilet paper issue: I've flushed the bodily wastes, and dipped my hand in the water to wash my ass. Followed up with soap and hot water, no more unsanitary than using balls of wadded up paper.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6100 Times on 3346 Posts
Likes Given: 11721

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I've flushed the bodily wastes, and dipped my hand in the water to wash my ass. Followed up with soap and hot water, no more unsanitary than using balls of wadded up paper.
Cease and desist.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #7

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Cease and desist.
What? I suspect it's actually a cleaner method. You really think you get yourself THAT clean by smearing your **** around with paper? Like I said, plenty of hot water and soap. Plus sanitizer if you roll like that.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Monsanto's company cafeterias are stocked only with organic foods. No GMOs allowed.

Should tell us all something.

On the toilet paper issue: I've flushed the bodily wastes, and dipped my hand in the water to wash my ass. Followed up with soap and hot water, no more unsanitary than using balls of wadded up paper.

When we come to your house for lunch, will you be making the sandwiches?

Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6100 Times on 3346 Posts
Likes Given: 11721

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

What? I suspect it's actually a cleaner method. You really think you get yourself THAT clean by smearing your **** around with paper? Like I said, plenty of hot water and soap. Plus sanitizer if you roll like that.
This is how I roll.
image-3398538751.jpg  

Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #10

Liked 1685 Times on 951 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

I will be keeping the toilet paper. Sorry Trip, but that was more information than I needed.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.