No Electronics
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > No Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default No Electronics

Interesting observation:

I'm out early this morning with my two gsp's doing some birdwork. The two young guys I'm with are marking the hidden bird launchers with their GPS. I normally just use plastic tape on a shrub near the launcher and remove when the bird is popped.

We went thru about 6 birds and were back at the truck. The talk turned to terrain, distance and navigation. I pulled out a topo map of the area and my old trusty GI compass. They pulled out their whiz-bang GPS with mapping.

I got to thinkin'; what if we had a massive solar flare that took out the satellites. No cell phones, no satellite communications at all, no texting, no GPS etc etc. These guys couldn't survive without their electronic gizmos, no less do long division.

Could you survive? I know I can ......................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #2

I could survive for a limited amount of time. I know my area pretty well within 20 miles each way, maybe even 40-50 miles south of me.

S.S.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #3

Default No problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markerdown View Post
Interesting observation:

I got to thinkin'; what if we had a massive solar flare that took out the satellites. No cell phones, no satellite communications at all, no texting, no GPS etc etc. These guys couldn't survive without their electronic gizmos, no less do long division.

Could you survive? I know I can
I'm sure "these guys" can learn to use a compass and topo map if the need were to arise. But why not use the gizmos if they're available? They're fun to use, and can store data from multiple trips. How many routes can you store on your paper map without them becoming illegible? 10, 20? The GPS might store 100.

The Amish seem to have little problem living the "simple life". Would you like to spend a week or two with them? How about a month, or a year? I suspect the Amish might consider you to be as helpless without all of your low-tech gear (car, electricity, landlines, etc.) as you consider those two without the hi-tech gear.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #4

When it comes to me and the outdoors, the Amish ain't got nuthin on me, I've been there, bring em' on .................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 07-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #5

i hate gps. in the states it takes the hardest route and gets itself lost (unless its just the model i bought) and in country (im currently serving in afghanistan) it drove me off a cliff twice. when ever i marching around out here i always take a map and compass. nothing beats good old fashion land nav with a map. gps will only get you so far. it relies on satalites which i saw one post saying those could be taken out... so true, and they need power. what happens when you get lost and lose power when your trying to get back? i doubt most people bring extra batterys.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by innezka View Post
i hate gps. in the states it takes the hardest route and gets itself lost (unless its just the model i bought) and in country (im currently serving in afghanistan) it drove me off a cliff twice. when ever i marching around out here i always take a map and compass. nothing beats good old fashion land nav with a map. gps will only get you so far. it relies on satalites which i saw one post saying those could be taken out... so true, and they need power. what happens when you get lost and lose power when your trying to get back? i doubt most people bring extra batterys.
I spent my fair share of time outside the wire in Afghanistan and one thing I ALWAYS brought with me was 4 extra AA batteries for my PEC-14, NODs, and M-68. Maybe you're so loaded down with extra gear that those 4 extra batteries would break your spirits, but I always carried them in the pocket by my boots.

Oh and as for the giving directions thing, my GPS (Garmin eTrex Legend) has never lead me astray.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 07-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Give me a topo map, compass and altimeter and I can pinpoint my location anywhere on the face of the earth.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #8

I don't need a bunch of fancy electronic gear or maps......

Just "Google Earth!"

Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Knowing land navigation is something everyone should learn, but buying USGS maps of every area you travel through would be more expensive than buying a cheap GPS....and extra batteries.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #10

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Last fall when I was flying as a pilot for the first time in several years I was having a discussion about navigation with my instructor pilot. He was saying the new 172's are great because they have moving map GPS and when flying you always need a backup and demonstrates how to use the alternate GPS antenna. It's at this point that I mention this is the first plane I have ever flown that has GPS, this shocked him he said he has never flown a plane without GPS. I asked what would you do if GPS were turned off or worse, intentionally offset to confuse people. He knows how to use VOR and other navigation types but only because he is an instructor pilot, most students today rely soley on GPS which is kind of scary to me. It's a single point of failure and you should learn alternative ways. I can use VOR's or everyone's favorite IFR (I fly roads/rivers) so I think I would be ok.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson