New Year Preps
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > New Year Preps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2014, 04:20 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1885 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 4217

Default New Year Preps

Ok, the new year is almost here and I thought it would be a good time to think about prepping for the coming year. So who is doing what and why?

Myself, I want to do more in the garden, learn more about herbs, and learn to identify more edible wild plants. And now that deer season is almost done I want to put some other wild game like squirrels and rabbits in the freezer. Basically I want this year to be about food, but I really want to focus on the quality of that food. I want to eat fresh fruits and veggies from the spring to the fall along with a variety of wild game. And the plus side is doing all that will make me that much more self sufficient and less affected by inflation and food prices.

So what are some other goals and plans for the new year?????

Mercator Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2161 Times on 1325 Posts
Likes Given: 12124

Since leaving the land of oppression (NY) I have made a short list for this year.

1. Find land to hunt here in PA.

2. Take the PA hunter safety course so the wife and I can get out licenses here Hunting and fishing)

3. Pick up some window boxes, and topsy turvys so we can grow some of our food in our smaller urban setting.

4. Invest a little more in my hand loading set ups between components and equipment.

5. Get out and test some of my bug out preps via family camping trips before my daughter leaves for UTI.

6. Learn and pass on to my family, at least 3 new bushcraft skills.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #3

Liked 348 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Improving our garden this year. Don't need to expand so much, just plant some different types of seeds to replace ones that produced poorly.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #4

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

I need to find a GOOD job.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #5

Liked 3615 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2505

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Since leaving the land of oppression (NY) I have made a short list for this year.

1. Find land to hunt here in PA.

2. Take the PA hunter safety course so the wife and I can get out licenses here Hunting and fishing)

3. Pick up some window boxes, and topsy turvys so we can grow some of our food in our smaller urban setting.

4. Invest a little more in my hand loading set ups between components and equipment.

5. Get out and test some of my bug out preps via family camping trips before my daughter leaves for UTI.

6. Learn and pass on to my family, at least 3 new bushcraft skills.
kfox - a quick glance at my DeLorme Pennsylvania Atlas & Gazetteer, shows that if you just head south on rt. 8 until you reach Titusville, then turn East and cross into Warren and/or Forest counties, you can access Allegheny National Forest and have 100s of square miles of wilderness.

Get a PA Atlas and Gazetteer and good luck!

Old 12-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #6

Liked 3615 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2505

My main goals for 2015 are:

1) Become more physically fit.

2) Get a puppy and train it into a decent hunter and great companion.

3) Improve my cash flow.

4) Shoot more, more often.

That'll work for me.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I definitely have a lot of similar goals as many of you. I'm clamping down hard on spending for the next few months so I can pay my house off. That will help a lot with cash flow. I've also got to get serious on finding a good hunting spot for next year. I've got a great spot that my friend owns and I've been hunting it since we were teenagers, but he's letting way to many people hunt it including an idiot that is unintentionally trying his best to ruin it. Unfortunately the hunting is going to suck there for the next couple of years (I've been through this many times on that spot). I've also got to get into better shape for hunting public land next year. There is some decent hunting on public land here but you have to put in the work and be willing to walk further than anyone else to get to a good spot. I don't mind walking a few miles with a full hunting pack and stand when I'm in shape but right now I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

I used to do a lot of hiking in the spring looking for old home sites for metal detecting and bottle hunting. I could cover 5 miles easy on a Saturday and that kept me in pretty good shape for hunting. I'm going to start doing that again this year. FYI, that's also a great way to find all sorts of free plants to plant around the house.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10406 Times on 4488 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

For folks that have limited gardening space (but DO have sunlight) snag a copy of Square Foot Gardening. You can grow an incredible amount of veggies in a very small space- or spaces.

A simple item that is cheap, small and often overlooked when folks are stocking up is salt. It won't spoil, takes up little room, is extremely useful- and there is no substitute for salt in canning and preserving food.

I need to spend a couple of weekend pruning- apples, pears, peaches and grapes. Need to take a bushog to the blackberries to get them back to where they belong.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For folks that have limited gardening space (but DO have sunlight) snag a copy of Square Foot Gardening. You can grow an incredible amount of veggies in a very small space- or spaces.

A simple item that is cheap, small and often overlooked when folks are stocking up is salt. It won't spoil, takes up little room, is extremely useful- and there is no substitute for salt in canning and preserving food.

I need to spend a couple of weekend pruning- apples, pears, peaches and grapes. Need to take a bushog to the blackberries to get them back to where they belong.
Have you ever tried any of the domesticated black berries? I've never tried them because there are so many wild ones around but it would nice to have a patch close by.