Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > New Tick Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1816 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

I cant help you with the allergy but possibly with the fishing. I use a kayak. Once you have equipment if is pretty much just transport to and from the water. My kayaks are rigged with fish storage, rod holders, tackle holders and a fish finder. I sold my power boat years ago because I was not using it anymore. PM me if you want to talk about it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #22

This sounds eerily familiar. My wife has a disorder called postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (p.o.t.s) and the symptoms are almost identical in some respects. You mentioned blood pressure problems, is it low by any chance? She has low b.p. and her heart rate rises at least 30 beats per minute upon standing causing her to either pass out or come close. She is being seen at Vanderbilt but doctors are still unsure of what causes it. I wonder if there is any correlation?

Old 12-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #23

Liked 2378 Times on 1545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_of_Dixie
This sounds eerily familiar. My wife has a disorder called postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (p.o.t.s) and the symptoms are almost identical in some respects. You mentioned blood pressure problems, is it low by any chance? She has low b.p. and her heart rate rises at least 30 beats per minute upon standing causing her to either pass out or come close. She is being seen at Vanderbilt but doctors are still unsure of what causes it. I wonder if there is any correlation?
Has she been bitten by a tick?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 12-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #24

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
He commented on the large number of patients that have asked him about that and that ticks leave marks on him now. He hadn't even heard of the allergy until I asked for a referral to an allergy doc. The marks don't necessarily mean you are allergic or that your body will suddenly react to meat but it is something to watch out for. Something's changed with the ticks but no one has figured it out yet?
A few months ago when I was out huntin I got 4 ticks on me, they swelled up like a mosquito bite on a kid and stayed like that for atleast a month. Also two days after I got home I was sick as a dog for a few days. Scared the crap out of me.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1487 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I really hope you get better!!!!!

Fwiw... If you have a bug out location, consider free ranging some chickens on your land. Here in the Maine boonies a lot if people have chickens (and I recently learned, guinea hens) because they wipe out ticks in your yard.
Chickens from fighting game stock are hardy, require little care. All they need is just enough feed to keep them hanging around. They are almost as good a guinea hens at removing ticks from your property. I would have a bunch of chickens if I didn't need my dog. Feed them laying mash and they will lay medium sized brown eggs. Get a Rhode Island Red rooster. His progeny will be just as hardy as game chickens and lay large eggs.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1162 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 2196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_of_Dixie View Post
P.O.T.S. is why I had problems passing out. My blood vessels weren't constricting right and not enough blood was going to my head while standing. To me (and I'm no Doc.) p.o.t.s. is a symptom of something else. In the article linked below it says 1/3 to 1/2 of people with p.o.t.s. have digestive problems. I'm guessing the digestive problem is why they have p.o.t.s., and p.o.t.s. is just a symptom of whatever is causing the digestive problems? That's the case with me. For those without digestive problems I'm guessing something else like bacteria. I had an aunt that started passing out and it turned out to be Lyme.

And oddly I have three co workers (two of them are close friends) that have all had or are having similar problems passing out. One was having gail bladder problems and he got better after his was removed. One was having sever digestive problems and it cleared up after about a year (except for an occasional spell). It just started for the third and his doc says its because of an over active colon which is irritable bowel syndrome. They haven't figured out what is causing his IBS yet.

I'm not sure what they have checked your wife for but I would suggest she get checked for Lyme and food allergies including celiac (gluten) and meat. She might also want to try a week without gluten and then a week without red meat just see if it helps?

I'm also not sure what meds she's tried but Atenolol (beta blocker) was amazing for me. It's normally for high blood pressure but it is also used to treat syncope (passing out). It helps keep everything balanced and slows the heart down. Ironically I had to take a very mild does because my heart rate was down to 50 BPM as a result of starving when my gail bladder quit working. Fortunately that mild does made a world of difference. I still take 12.5mg a day, but I'm hoping I can stop that soon?

I sincerely hope your wife gets better.

http://www.dinet.org/pots_an_overview.htm

Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #27

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Great reminders of how complicated the world really is, how fragile human beings can be, that every individual is different, and you never know what someone is going through, so, especially at this time of year, be kind to your fellow man (and maybe woman).

Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #28
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

I was having severe digestive problems a long time ago. A new young doctor checked me for stomach bacteria and I had some that were not supposed to be there. Took a combination of antibiotics and it cleared up. Came back years later so I went to see a doctor and told him of the previous episode. He had never heard of it before but checked and same thing. Repeated the antibiotics and have not had a problem for 20 years. Evidently it is not too common so if you are having digestive problems have it checked out. Really simple. No idea what caused it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #29

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Was it H. Pylori bacteria by any chance!?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #30

Liked 1282 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune, and as I live in the woods in the South, it is a bit disturbing.

As far as your survival fishing, nothing beats a good wooden jon boat and a paddle. No gas, no noise....

I was in my mid 20s before I got my first outboard, and we fished a lot and caught a lot of fish.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan