I just got back blood test results today and it confirmed I'm allergic to red meat. By red meat I mean all mammals and mammal products, and dairy is a product of mammals. I finally figured it out a few months ago after having a lot of serious problems over the last four years, and the blood test just confirmed it. This is becoming a much more common allergy and it is caused by ticks. Tick bites are causing allergic reactions and whatever is in the tick bite that the body reacts to is also in all red meat. This is primarily in the south because of the tick species that causes it. This problem appears to be growing really really fast so everyone needs to be careful come tick season, especially in the south but everywhere because of the other potential problems.
Needless to say this could be pretty serious if SHTF because it really limits what's on the menu. Tick bites would also be very prevalent if SHTF in the summer months.
For me personally this really sucks, but thankfully it isn't something worse. This is a life changing thing though. My deer rifles won't be getting much use in the future. And one of my goals for this year was to supply all of my own meats and vegetables. I've got three deer in the freezer and was planning on getting one or two more along with a few hogs right after deer season. That would have supplied 80% of my meat for next year. Rabbit, squirrel, coon, and a few other critters would have taken care of the remaining 20%. Now I've got to regroup. I guess the shotgun is going to get some serious use now on fowl (even though I hate a shotgun)?
Fortunately I'm better at fishing than hunting.
The down side is that fishing just isn't cost effective. The cost of gas for a bass boat really adds up, and that's not counting the cost of the boat. Ironically I sold my bass boat when all of my heath problems started! Irony is not without a sense of humor.
I guess I'm going to have to rethink all of that? And I just realized that water is going to become really important to me in the future (fish and waterfowl). I'm certainly going to have to rethink bug out locations and prepping (not much need for a snare now or most smoked and canned meats).
Again, watch out for ticks this spring and summer.