Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > New Tick Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1156 Times on 742 Posts
Likes Given: 2189

Default New Tick Problem

I just got back blood test results today and it confirmed I'm allergic to red meat. By red meat I mean all mammals and mammal products, and dairy is a product of mammals. I finally figured it out a few months ago after having a lot of serious problems over the last four years, and the blood test just confirmed it. This is becoming a much more common allergy and it is caused by ticks. Tick bites are causing allergic reactions and whatever is in the tick bite that the body reacts to is also in all red meat. This is primarily in the south because of the tick species that causes it. This problem appears to be growing really really fast so everyone needs to be careful come tick season, especially in the south but everywhere because of the other potential problems.

Needless to say this could be pretty serious if SHTF because it really limits what's on the menu. Tick bites would also be very prevalent if SHTF in the summer months.

For me personally this really sucks, but thankfully it isn't something worse. This is a life changing thing though. My deer rifles won't be getting much use in the future. And one of my goals for this year was to supply all of my own meats and vegetables. I've got three deer in the freezer and was planning on getting one or two more along with a few hogs right after deer season. That would have supplied 80% of my meat for next year. Rabbit, squirrel, coon, and a few other critters would have taken care of the remaining 20%. Now I've got to regroup. I guess the shotgun is going to get some serious use now on fowl (even though I hate a shotgun)?

Fortunately I'm better at fishing than hunting.
The down side is that fishing just isn't cost effective. The cost of gas for a bass boat really adds up, and that's not counting the cost of the boat. Ironically I sold my bass boat when all of my heath problems started! Irony is not without a sense of humor.
I guess I'm going to have to rethink all of that? And I just realized that water is going to become really important to me in the future (fish and waterfowl). I'm certainly going to have to rethink bug out locations and prepping (not much need for a snare now or most smoked and canned meats).

Again, watch out for ticks this spring and summer.

Last edited by TLuker; 12-13-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #2

Liked 1765 Times on 984 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Wow that is a bummer. Is this a permanent condition? Is this what they call lyme disease?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 744

Good night! I've never heard of such a thing. I know that many allergies have treatments. Is there any kind of treatment or remedy for this?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1156 Times on 742 Posts
Likes Given: 2189

This allergy can go away one day, or it can last from now on. Similar to the way you can loose your immunity to a disease that you've been inoculated for. And it's not lyme disease. This is an allergy just like being allergic to a bee sting or peanuts. A lot of people here that spend time in the outdoors have noticed that tick bites have changed over the past 10 years or so. I'm sure it's gone on longer but it really became noticeable in the last 10 years.

The reaction to meat can be slow because it takes awhile to digest, and that makes it hard to figure out. Not to mention who would ever think they are all of a sudden allergic to meat?

Tick bites started to leave ugly marks and it takes weeks for the marks to heal. That's an indication of an allergy to them. That use to never happen. Ironically my doctor and I were talking about how tick bites all of sudden started leaving marks before I got checked. He commented on the large number of patients that have asked him about that and that ticks leave marks on him now. He hadn't even heard of the allergy until I asked for a referral to an allergy doc. The marks don't necessarily mean you are allergic or that your body will suddenly react to meat but it is something to watch out for. Something's changed with the ticks but no one has figured it out yet?

Old 12-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 744

Can you share what the symptoms are?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #6

Liked 2378 Times on 1545 Posts

Crazy stuff. Thanks for the heads up.In nw Ohio, there has been a new species of tick that has taken residence starting this year. I can't recall what species, but I know ticks have gotten progressively worse the last 3-5 years. I never had one until 5 or so years ago. In the last 3 years, I've had a dozen or so just from mowing. Bastards.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Sorry to hear that...I read an article about this topic a month or so ago:

http://healthyliving.msn.com/diseases/allergies/lone-star-tick-bite-might-trigger-red-meat-allergy-study

Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Im going through a similar issue with gluten products at least Maybe if you go meatless for a month or two it might wear off. Good luck.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #9

Liked 283 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

WoW sorry to hear that. What a game changer. Good luck to ya

Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm sorry to hear you aren't well.

I'm also wondering if this might be part of why i lost my taste for meat when i was a teenager. I don't remember the meat causing illness; i just remember not liking the taste anymore (really greasy & such). I do still enjoy sushi occasionally. I don't think i could stomach a burger to test my gullet. We do have a lot of ticks down here.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.