Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > New Guy with a Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 03:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
During periods of high civil unrest - Which, indeed, might be coming. - you will need to do as much as possible in order to keep and maintain a very low personal profile. I'm puzzled: Hasn't anyone told you it's always the guy with the gun who gets shot first!
While I agree with this in spirit my personal philosophy is if all hell breaks loose and my worst fears come true .

Should I survive an attack and the enemy retreats , unless occupied with wounded I fully intend to pursue them back to their holes and as they say "Bring down the thunder and lightening on them with the wrath of hell itself" I don't kid myself into thinking one would last long in purely defensive mode under such circumstances .

The animals that will arise out of a total collapse of society in todays world is far beyond the imagination and the reality of the past .

You had better wrap your mind around killing as easily as you breath without hesitation even if it is a 12 YO kid with a 22 . He would kill you your children your wife and rape and torture as a matter of second nature to him .

When/if it happens in your lifetime you will quickly learn the differences in races and cultures that the bleeding hearts have been denying for decades or you'll be dead .

Old 07-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #12

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Let me expand a little on what I was thinking and what has come up in some of the replies:

Do any of you remember the 1992 Rodney King riots in CA where several Korean business owners were exchanging shots with armed looters because the police were nowhere to be found? After everything had settled down, many of the rioters and their sympathizers were demanding criminal charges be brought against the store owners...it didn't really go anywhere, but you see the mentality of some people...and some of them are either elected or become judges.

Also, some of you mentioned that a looter would remember you for popping their ass with a pellet rifle and come back later. In looking at footage from Katrina and L.A., it always seemed to me that most of those dopes were opportunists that wouldn't remember where they stole anything, let alone who chased them off...it would be different than popping the neighbor kid that sees you everyday...am I right?

I thought it also might be good for aggressive dogs that may get loose.
Again, all ideas appreciated.

There are two kinds of people in this world my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig, you dig. -The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Old 07-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If the SHTF I want a weapon capable of putting a confrontation to an end - hopefully in my favor. Pellet guns are fun for backyard plinking, but they have absolutely no tactical purpose for me. A .22 is a much better weapon if you want to limit your killing power for small game. SHooting at someone is nothing to take lightly, and God forbid if it comes to that I will be shooting to kill, not to mame, wound, or warn.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I don't think I'd use a pellet rifle for anything other than varmint control or small food acquisition.

If any unrest happens in November say, or after that, it seems you'll need more than a bb gun. Anyway, I think if there is any acting up if something happens on election day, most likely it would happen in the areas that democrats outnumber republicans and in areas that a natural constituency has the majority. Most of us would probably be ready if we lived in such an area or gone. But when MLK was killed LA did not burn like other places, so I don't know how realistic fears of rioting would be if the false messiah doesn't win. Not everyone thinks the same about him.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Just my thoughts on this- do any of you know the only defense against the detonation of a nuclear weapon? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

The answer is- when that event takes place, you must be somewhere that you can say "What was that?" And while I am being a little tongue in cheek here, the same principle attains- to be on favorable terrain. That is, are you somewhere that is capable of being defended? If not, would suggest that you (a) move, or (b) look at how you are gonna get the heck out of Dodge to a more favorable bit of terrain. There are very few bunkers in urban areas that are capable of being defended against a determined foe. Just ask any member of the German Army.

Yep, keep a pellet rifle around. 5mm Sheridan Blue Streak. Handy for popping a bunny or squirrel, deadly at 40-45 yds. But I don't fire warning shots with ANYTHING. And if I have let bad guys get with 40 yards, I will have made several grievous errors in judgement.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #16
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Just my thoughts on this- do any of you know the only defense against the detonation of a nuclear weapon? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

The answer is- when that event takes place, you must be somewhere that you can say "What was that?"
Erm...actually, it's possible to notice the detonation of a nuke from a couple miles away and be a minute or so away from being incinerated. That's plenty of time to ask "What was that?" "I dunno. Wanna go to Starbucks for a vente half-caff-non-fat-latte-supreme-double-caramel-macchioto?" "No, I only have $15 on me." *fry*

Quote:
And while I am being a little tongue in cheek here, the same principle attains- to be on favorable terrain. That is, are you somewhere that is capable of being defended? If not, would suggest that you (a) move, or (b) look at how you are gonna get the heck out of Dodge to a more favorable bit of terrain. There are very few bunkers in urban areas that are capable of being defended against a determined foe. Just ask any member of the German Army.
Personally, I was more concerned with roving hordes of hungry/opportunistic civilians than I was with the Marines. Any terrain can be defended to one degree or another, given sufficient people, supplies and training. And the most easily-defended terrain can be overrun by a couple guys if it is not defended properly or at all.

Quote:
Yep, keep a pellet rifle around. 5mm Sheridan Blue Streak. Handy for popping a bunny or squirrel, deadly at 40-45 yds. But I don't fire warning shots with ANYTHING. And if I have let bad guys get with 40 yards, I will have made several grievous errors in judgement.
Amen to that.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

BKT- Actually, radiant heat, being IR Light, travels at speed of light. The shock wave (overpressure & blast effect) comes along considerably slower (speed of sound).

However, my point was that one should pick WHERE they want to defend. Can any terrain be defended? Yep- with enough prep. However, if your perimeter is at your property line, and that is 15 ft from your front door- that is gonna take a LOT of prep to defend against an all out assualt of lawless persons. An old military definition of "delaying action" is trading space for time. If you HAVE no space, that does not give you much time to react. I do feel it is important for some of our friends to realize that if you suddenly find that civilian law enforcement has decided "Yer own yer own, folks" that where you are sitting may not be the most advantageous spot to defend in place. In which case, safely getting you and yours TO such a place should be high on their SHTF planning.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #18

Default Non leathal

If you want something to get there attention find somebody to load you some 23/4 shot gun shell with half the powder and some #9 shot that comes out to 958 pellets at about 650 feet per second or so. it won't kill them but there going to know they got hit!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:30 AM   #19

rocksalt slugs work just as well too

Old 07-15-2008, 04:28 AM   #20

Yeah rock salt is about the only warning I would fire. Other then that I would say go buy some Reminton sub-sonic 22lr's ($6 for a 50 round box), they are about the same sound as a powerful pellet gun and the are more then able to turn a brain to jello if you need too....