Needed foods we can't just reconstitute - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Needed foods we can't just reconstitute

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7300 Times on 4391 Posts
Likes Given: 8947

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Other than a bit of olive oil, I was probably 14 before I saw my first "vegetable oil". The fat of pigs. rendered at time of slaughter, is called lard. Used for frying and baking. Think Crisco, and you will be close. Also used a lube for muzzle loading bullets.

Best biscuits you will EVER eat are made with buttermilk, lard, flour, salt, and baking powder.
You can't make a decent pie crust without lard, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Remembering back to when McDonald's used to deep fry in pure lard - that was when they had the BEST french fries! Going back to lard for cooking might not be a bad thing, especially if you eat food for its taste. :-)
Yes, I agree. McDonald's french fries were the BEST when deep fried in lard. It's never been the same since.

But I think going back to lard for everything would not be a good idea. It really is BAD for you........but oh, so good!!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9131 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Quote:
But I think going back to lard for everything would not be a good idea. It really is BAD for you........but oh, so good!!
Yeah, they kept telling that to my grandad. He ate butter, eggs, smoked red meat, buttermilk and lard.

There were 4 generations of us at his funeral. He was farming up until 6 months before his death at the age of 98.

Diet has to play a role in health, but there are a lot of other factors in there as well.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #13

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

Yeah, they kept telling that to my grandad. He ate butter, eggs, smoked red meat, buttermilk and lard.

There were 4 generations of us at his funeral. He was farming up until 6 months before his death at the age of 98.

Diet has to play a role in health, but there are a lot of other factors in there as well.
My great grandfather was 94 when he died and he never slowed down up until he passed. He ate the same way, people back then ate what they wanted and never worried about it. Now days its "that is bad for you,eat this" and "that isnt good for you,drink this". And people arent living near as long as our older generations did.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

It's interesting that most people think lard is bad for you. In researching this subject, i found that fresh-rendered lard is mainly monounsaturated (healthy) fat. Processed lard has hydrolized, which adds unhealthy fats back in to stabilize it for a long shelf life.

Lard is very easy to make, will store 1-3 months refrigerated and can be frozen. Do NOT go back to lard if you're going to buy it off the shelf, but if you want to learn a useful skill of rendering, you can safely go back to using lard to cook with! Check out the facts because, as usual, we've only been given part of the story.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #15

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

There's a local locker here that butchers meat and they save the lard for you if you ask for it, that is if it's your hog they butchered. My family used lard for years. My great gandmother died at 101 eating many things we're told kill you.

Another thing you can grow is peanuts. Lots of cooking can be done with peanut oil. Pretty good too. Getting back to some old fashioned ways isn't that hard.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9131 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Jim- good point. We usually plant a couple of rows of Jumbo Virginia peanuts- because we like them. Peanuts are very high in protein, as well as having oil.

They also make great deer bait!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
...Obviously, most of us can go to Sam's Club and pick up a couple of five gallon buckets and that will keep us through several months of cooking, but what happens in an EOTWAWKI situation? Does anyone have a way to produce cooking oil without taking over a Kraft Foods plant?
Another thought is this: Store Palm Shortening. It has an indefinite shelf life and a low melt point. It comes in the form of shortening or lard and when melted acts as an oil for breads, etc.

They usually recommend about 6 to 8 gallons per family of four for one year. While it doesn't answer your questions directly, it is a realistic alternative in the mean time.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Holy cats.
Yeah cat oil could work. Denzel did it in Book of Eli, so it must be true....and gross.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #19

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog

Yeah cat oil could work. Denzel did it in Book of Eli, so it must be true....and gross.
Damn good movie

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #20

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I don't usually recommend it to starting preppers but Crisco makes a butter-flavored shortening that lasts at least a couple of years unopened (like cans of olive oil) and up to a year opened (a little longer than olive oil). Either way you need about a third of your calories from fats which also tend to be relatively cheap, so, please, do the math!