Needed foods we can't just reconstitute
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Needed foods we can't just reconstitute

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Default Needed foods we can't just reconstitute

I'm constantly looking for basic foods that can last a long time on the shelf and be ready to go in a SHTF situation. However, I also collect recipes that use items that come in #10 cans and five-gallon buckets: red winter wheat, dry milk, egg crystals and dehydrated fruits, just to name a few. I've noticed that many bread recipes including loaves, cakes, pies and other breads have an ingredient required that you can't just add water to a mix: cooking oil.

Obviously, most of us can go to Sam's Club and pick up a couple of five gallon buckets and that will keep us through several months of cooking, but what happens in an EOTWAWKI situation? Does anyone have a way to produce cooking oil without taking over a Kraft Foods plant? Is it as simple as collecting corn or soybeans and pressing them to death, or does it need further processing? Obviously the easier the better, but any ways to produce any sort of cooking oil with common tools and/or appliances would be appreciated.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Animal fat will do in a pinch. I've had birthday cake with bacon grease in it, didn't know the difference.

What I'm getting at, if you have meat, you can cook. Maybe not exactly what you want flavor and health wise, but it can do the job.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Holy cats. Crusty bread with BACON flavor? I just broke a zipper....

Seriously, trip's right - there are almost always substitutes for ingredients. Google a specific example and you'll see.

Check this out for some hints.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8745 Times on 3780 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Other than a bit of olive oil, I was probably 14 before I saw my first "vegetable oil". The fat of pigs. rendered at time of slaughter, is called lard. Used for frying and baking. Think Crisco, and you will be close. Also used a lube for muzzle loading bullets.

Best biscuits you will EVER eat are made with buttermilk, lard, flour, salt, and baking powder.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1183 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 2322

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Other than a bit of olive oil, I was probably 14 before I saw my first "vegetable oil". The fat of pigs. rendered at time of slaughter, is called lard. Used for frying and baking. Think Crisco, and you will be close. Also used a lube for muzzle loading bullets.

Best biscuits you will EVER eat are made with buttermilk, lard, flour, salt, and baking powder.
Same for me. I was probably 10 before I knew there was anything else other than lard for cooking. And C3shooter you're absolutely right about the biscuits, and the same is true for cornbread, pies, and just about everything else. Lard also has a ton of other uses.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Ah, so as long as there is enough ammo to take wild boar, there's a replacement for our standard, yellow, clear oils! Makes sense, thanks guys!

Remembering back to when McDonald's used to deep fry in pure lard - that was when they had the BEST french fries! Going back to lard for cooking might not be a bad thing, especially if you eat food for its taste. :-)

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #7

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Hey, there wouldn't be a spear season in Alabama if you absolutely must use a gun!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #8

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

who needs ammo? In that type of situation a bow, snare, deadfall, would probably be better, no noise.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #9

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

just use a bow, (retrieve arrows) snare, deadfall. no noise, no unexpected company for supper.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Obviously the easier the better, but any ways to produce any sort of cooking oil with common tools and/or appliances would be appreciated.
If you have a patch of land for your preparations plant some olive trees. You'll need more than one so they can pollinate each other. The ripe olives can be cold pressed for sweet edible oil. The left over mash, pits and skins can be heated and more oil extracted. This secondary oil can be used for cooking, and it can be used for fuel in lamps.

Otherwise lay in a generous supply of edible oil.

Dolmas. The Greeks used these. Some seasoned starchy rice wrapped in a grape leaf and packed in olive oil. You can buy canned Dolmas at upscale grocery stores today. I'll bet the oil has more calories than the rice and grape leaf. I can imagine Leonidas eating one after replying "Molon Lave."